SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

View Poll Results: Am I being unreasonable for asking for first dibs?
Yes, draw straws, leave it all to fate! 1 4.35%
No, you've put in all the work so far! 22 95.65%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-08-08, 09:09 PM   #1
Neeja

Default .org Opinion

At the moment I'm in the process of moving into a 3-bed house with two of my friends, one I currently live with and another guy whose tenancy runs out within 5 days of ours. Made the decision for more room and more money between us.

My current flatmate found out that a house just across the road from ours was going on the market, as one of his exes lives there, and would be ideal for us (3 double-bedrooms+large garage). After weeks of prodding, he finally got the name of the lettings agency that the house was under from her.

She moved out on Friday, so I was on the phone to the lettings agency on Monday. Had a long conversation with them trying to sort things out, then they said there'd be someone inspecting the property later that day, and that I could view it and discuss things with her then. Did that, and managed to negotiate on her with rent to keep it the same as it has for the past year (whereas our property's rent is going up £50), and as a result of this we're now £100/mo under our rent budget, which is a massive bonus.

Today I drove around in a thunderstorm getting bits and bobs, getting money together to put down bond+admin fees to make sure we get the house, paying for all three of us in one go as the other two have no money till payday.

After doing all this, I decided I should get something back (particularly since I can't do anything till payday now, having shelled £150 on admin fees for the other two guys), so said that I'm having first pick of the bedrooms in the new house. The guy who's not living with me right now was fine with this. My flatmate, however, kicked up a massive fuss, saying that it's not fair for me to just declare the room I'm having, and that we should draw straws. I mentioned that I was putting myself out, and he retorted with the fact that he could have got money together anytime by borrowing from his dad and sorted it all himself. My counter-argument was that, if that was the case, why didn't he do this before I put myself in my overdraft.

All our friends don't want to get involved with this argument to avoid being stuck in the middle, so wise .org, is it unfair of me, having stumped up a total of £475 and done a shedload of work to have first pick of rooms?
Old 12-08-08, 09:12 PM   #2
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Default Re: .org Opinion

tell him to go and put his dummy back in and climb back in his pram
you did all the ground work, and gambled with your money....you should get pick of the rooms......

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-08, 09:13 PM   #3
anna
Mega Poster

nope you get fair and square first dibs.. if he wanted first dibs on rooms he could have gotten off his backside!!
anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-08, 09:16 PM   #4
Wayluya

STart off the house share with an argument? Cool

I am guessing one bedroom is far better.........if so, stick to yer guns , unless he coughs up the cash. now.

I would also not have told the others about the lower rent......
Old 12-08-08, 09:16 PM   #5
Frank

just move in and tell him to .....
Old 12-08-08, 09:19 PM   #6
Neeja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayluya View Post
STart off the house share with an argument? Cool

I am guessing one bedroom is far better.........if so, stick to yer guns , unless he coughs up the cash. now.

I would also not have told the others about the lower rent......
We currently share a flat with arguments brewing there over him doing no housework, so it's all good on the argument front

To be honest, it's not so much that it's far better as it has an en-suite. It's top-floor and very oddly shaped, but I can make use of it due to having a piano that'll fit perfectly where nothing else really will. There's another bedroom in the house that's the same size, but it's a plain rectangle with no en-suite. The last room is the smallest, and nobody really wants it. My real worry is ending up in the smallest room having put in all the work if it goes to straws!

Lower-rent news is unavoidable - we're setting up a joint-account to avoid people not paying their share of things
Old 12-08-08, 09:20 PM   #7
Sean_C

Tell him to stop being a ***** and that the bedroom is yours since you went to the trouble of sorting everything out for them..

edit: I don't think I'd cope to well in a shared house, I'm far too intolerant

Last edited by Sean_C; 12-08-08 at 09:22 PM.
Old 12-08-08, 09:34 PM   #8
Ed

Is it really worth falling out over? I don't think so. Swallow your pride. And be sure to cheat when you come to draw straws. Or have a deal that you swap round after 6 months.
Old 12-08-08, 10:06 PM   #9
fat_brstd

If one room is so much better then that person should be paying more rent. An en-suite = more cash in my book especially if the room is then bigger than the other 2. In my current house share we have 3 rooms all the same size and 1 box room, the box room is cheeper than the others cause it wouldnt be fair to get someone to spend the same as I do to only have 2/3 the space.

If you all agree that you should all pay the same then I would say draw straws or better a game of monopoly where you get to be the banker.
Old 12-08-08, 10:10 PM   #10
Neeja

Offered to pay more rent, was a no-go. I thought this was an ideal solution, but... :P