SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-09-06, 10:45 PM   #1
Peter Henry

Default My Biking Day.

The LynW moment:

I have not been out with my Spanish pals for a Saturday morning hoon for a while but decided I would meet the 9.00 a.m start time at the BP garage at the start of the Ronda Road today,(I was geven a push when seeing that Moto GP qualifying had been cancelled and so no need to stay home.

So I am heading west along the main street of Marbella and stop at some traffic lights. Two guys in their 50's pulled alongside me in a 4x4 type vehicle. They had the driver window down and I noticed the driver with an odd look on his face. We made eye contact and he said...(obviously in Spanish) "That's a lovely bike but it doesn't sound quite right!"...Cue Lyn! So before the lights changed a quick explanation of dry clutch and desmodronics was given! To nods of understanding.

The good:

I am not a slow rider, but had felt that I had backed off considerably since riding in Spain. I decided I was going to tag right along with the boys today. One guy that no-one I know or have ever known will ever keep up with Oscar,(Police Motorcyclist by profession!) and former 2nd placed in Andalucian Championships.....now that alone should indicate how good the top boys are! Oscar only came second in a regional competition and as I said he is absolutely awesome.....plus today he had a passenger on with him.(A bit like Mamola giving those rides on the two up Ducati)

The pace was rapid but not stupid, all the guys I was riding with are very experienced motorcyclists and all can ride fast. There was a reasonably tight group of us,(too tight maybe for the more nervous types) but due to the confidance in each other it was such a superb ride. We played and made the odd take over and on a road that in places is so technical it really was a total buzz.

I proved to myself that my upper limits of fast riding are still intact and raising to them I still feel very comfortable.

The Ugly:

Four of us decided to go for one extra little blast before splitting up to go home. This was to be along the Ojen Road which climbs and climbs directly inland from Marbella. Newly surfaced and a mix of fast straights, high speed sweepers and down hill and uphill 2nd or 3rd gear corners.

Well we all negotiated a safe brisk blast to the turn around point, stopped for a few minutes and then headed back down. Just a km or so back down we came across a rather ugly looking fall by a rider. Picture this:

A fast sweeping left hander which lasts for almost a kilometre but tightens for the last 300metres. Just after the start of the tightening section is a pull off area for people to stop to admire views etc. But cutting off the main road there is a small road that runs parallel to it on the right for you to drop down in to a village.

Well some guy on a Camel Honda rep had somehow managed to get it all wrong as the road began to tighten, he has careered off heading toward this smaller road, careered in to the armco which totally destroyed his bike with the impact catapulting the rider up in the air to eventually end up somewhere in amongst trees and bushes some 50 feet below! (Not too dissimilar to something I witnessed not too long ago)

We couldnt even see him but a friend of his was down with him shouting up to another guy. He was conscious but had a problem with one of his legs..what else I do not know.

The Hilarious:

After the little blast up the Ojen road I re-enetered Marbella heading home from the east. Approaching a set of lights that were on red I gently filtered down the middle of the two lanes of cars. Stopped right at the front of me now were 2 young lads, one on a 50cc Supermotard type bike and the other on the inevitable scooter.

Well due to the novelty of my new fruity sounding exhaust I am revving the bike as I make my final approach before stopping. The two lads are talking to each other and both catch me in the corner of their eyes. Their faces were a picture. From being totally impressed to complete puzzlement as they obviously had no knowledge of anything other than 50's!

They had no idea what this red thing was but I swear they both began drooling. I was trying not to laugh and on my left hand side caught the eye of a young attractive lady who was the rear seat passenger of a car. She was smiling also as she had seen the reaction of the two lads. I sort of nodded to her as if to say,"Have you seen these two?" She obviously had and was even more tickled by my reaction!

So the lights changed and the boys started off and peeled away at each side which I assume was to allow me to rocket through in between them. But maybe to everyone's surprise I simply moved off at so gentle a pace.

The hilarious bit was the lad on the scooter had wound his wrist so far round with the throttle and was really giving it all he had. His body language was a picture. I allowed him to stay in front of me all the way until I turned off.

I could just hear him retelling the story to his busddies how he blew away some big red sports bike! Brilliant!
Old 09-09-06, 11:28 PM   #2
Anonymous

take it you dont get out often (just jealous, i couldnt get out on bike this weekend)
Old 10-09-06, 09:41 AM   #3
Scubini

Very entertaining Peter, thanks for telling us

Just out of curiosity what do you wear for riding in the terrific heat down there, full leathers, shorts + T shirt or a compromise of some sort?

Cheers Scubini

PS I was thinking of coming over in winter to get my riding fix - worth it?
Old 10-09-06, 11:00 AM   #4
Peter Henry

Scubini....There might have been a hint based on the start time of our ride? It is still very hot here and we all wear full gear! I always wear a bandana under my helmet as I perspire so much. At each stop I can take the soaked bandana and place it in the sun for a few minutes and it is dry again!

However yesterday I only got home after 2.00pm and the heat was intense. A cold shower later and throughout the rest of the day drinking copious amounts of fluid, just shows you what riding can take out of you.

but I wouldn't change things and in a month or so temps will lower and riding will be less draining than it is through the summer.
Old 10-09-06, 12:17 PM   #5
Scubini

Aha thanks Peter

Always wondered how riders in the hotter climates coped.

Must be so tempting to strip down a bit sometimes.

Cheers Scubini
Old 10-09-06, 08:54 PM   #6
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Lovely biking weather here today.Nice and sunny and temp just right for a ride up to Mallory Park,take in a days club racing and then back to the smoke.The roads are so busy though.
Old 11-09-06, 08:44 AM   #7
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Default Re: My Biking Day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Henry
So before the lights changed a quick explanation of dry clutch and desmodronics was given! To nods of understanding.
Could you enlighten me please?
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-06, 09:17 AM   #8
K

Default Re: My Biking Day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Henry
So before the lights changed a quick explanation of dry clutch and desmodronics was given! To nods of understanding.
Could you enlighten me please?
He basically said "It's a Ducati, it's supposed to sound like a bag of spanners."
Old 11-09-06, 09:45 AM   #9
Peter Henry

K...You really do have your mischievous moments don't you? TYou been comparing noted with LynW?

Stu....

Ducati run dry clutch as opposed to most bikes having their clutch immersed in oil. therefore the Ducati clutch has a very individual sound to it.

Desmodronics is a method of valve actuation(opening and closing) Desmodronics allow for a different ramping profile- faster opening, faster closing- than valve springs.

The very nature of the method used allows even more beautiful harmonious engineeering music to flood out!

Many say that Desmodronics are a very outdated method yet they dont seem to be doing too badly on the GP6 being ridden by little Loris?