SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-06-07, 10:29 AM   #1
northwind
Mega Poster

Default Decided to try crashing on the right this time...

The left was getting a bit worn down...

I was on my way to the ecosse rideout this morning, about 2 minutes from my house, coming up to a roundabout. There's 2 lanes that go onto it, there was stationary traffic in the left (someone being very hesitant) but I was turning right, so just went straight onto the roundabout. At the next entrance, someone in a big dark estate just came straight out and into my lane without apparently slowing. He might have a little, not sure.

On balance I thought the better of just riding straight into him so I stood it up, braked, just enough to not hit him and sent me past the back of him... Leaned it back over to try and complete the turn but the tyres were still cold and it was just a bit too much too fast, rear end swung out and that was it, slide slide.

The guy didn't stop- good chance he never even knew I was there in fact- but luckily the nice lady behind me did, when presented with the option of either helping or driving over my face. She parked up to block the lane- very well done in fact- and I got the bike up, checked it and me over, nothing too bad. Lots of cosmetic damage, but not so much as a bruise on me and the bike looked rideable. Went back to clean up the wee bits of debris and found amongst them, a footpeg. Perhaps my initial inspection was a little incomplete... Rode off to the meeting point with my leg hanging in the air to tell them what had happened, rode home with my leg resting on the crash bung

Not too much damage really...

This hit the kerb... There's actually road rash on the indicator bulb, but it still works! Uncanny. Tank is fine. Lovely Pazzo shorty lever obviously damaged but still works perfectly, I like that- it probably hit the kerb too, the master cylinder was halfway round the bars and snapped a retaining bolt. My plastic welding on that fairing is clearly better than I thought! The biggest downer is my SRAD titanium axle, it's ground down slightly- made a LOT of sparks. But perhaps it'll clean up.

Crash protection, and crash not-protection... Motosliders worked, Valter Moto rearset just sheared on impact, I found it almost right by where the bike touched down. Fair play, sometimes stuff doesn't work how you'd like.

Very small amount of damage back here... Can looks worse than it is.

My gear did its job very well- I'm a bit brittle as I've mentioned, but totally unhurt so here's a BIG shout for Teknic and Furygan, Knox and T-Pro. Helmet doesn't get one as it never touched down. The trousers are probably wrecked, but remained intact and protective. Jacket's a little scabby but survived perfectly, I'll just keep on wearing it. Scars add character. Very impressed by the hip armour, it wouldn't take much to rebreak my hip or to do muscle damage (the metalwork can cause problems) so to have not so much as a twinge is good, it did hit the deck hard. I was planning to sell the jacket

Soooo... I think that the guy probably saw the stopped car on my left and assumed all the traffic had stopped, rather than not looking at all. Still bad, but not as bad as not looking. With hindsight I could have made the next exit on the roundabout instead of turning back into it, probably... But I don't think I really did wrong there, under the circumstances.

So much for a year and a half of incident-free riding But it's roadworthy again now with a stock footrest back on, and should still pass its MOT in 2 days

Anyone got a Valter Moto footpeg?
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-07, 10:34 AM   #2
trickywoos

Default Re: Decided to try crashing on the right this time...

Sorry to hear about your crash NW, glad the damage isnt more.
Old 10-06-07, 10:36 AM   #3
tricky

Bad luck man, glad you're ok.
Old 10-06-07, 10:37 AM   #4
kwak zzr

sorry to hear this northy glad your ok tho, your crash protectors seem to have done you proud.
Old 10-06-07, 10:38 AM   #5
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Glad you are OK Northy.

Oh and a question, is that an oil temperature or pressure guage in place of your oil filler cap. Looks quite neat.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-07, 10:38 AM   #6
Heed

Good to hear that you're OK and that the bike is relatively unscathed. I assume you'll still be at the AR. And good luck with the MOT.
Old 10-06-07, 10:43 AM   #7
weazelz

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind View Post
Anyone got a Valter Moto footpeg?
PDQ do them for £25 a pair

edit: glad you're okay, btw

Last edited by weazelz; 10-06-07 at 10:45 AM.
Old 10-06-07, 10:46 AM   #8
tricky

Quote:
Originally Posted by weazelz View Post
PDQ do them for £25 a pair

edit: glad you're okay, btw
You are the master of parts sourcing
Old 10-06-07, 10:51 AM   #9
weazelz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky View Post
You are the master of parts sourcing
I am the master of parts *breaking* - the sourcing skills are not un-related
Old 10-06-07, 11:15 AM   #10
CoolGirl

I see, breaking MY spare bike in time for the AR!

glad you're ok.