SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 08-11-07, 08:44 PM   #1
Ed

Default Drinking

From the Department of Health website:

'Most people are aware of units as a measure of alcohol consumption, (86 per cent) and many are aware of the recommended daily guidelines (69 per cent) but only 13 per cent keep a check on the number of units they drink. In the UK, 75 per cent of people support labelling.

Labels with unit information will help people keep an eye on how much they are drinking, allowing them to monitor their alcohol intake more easily. The labelling information will be supported by a major cross-Government campaign on alcohol from 2008, a large part of which will be about raising unit awareness.'

They go on to say that men should not exceed 3 - 4 units a day and women should not ecxeed 2 - 3 units a day.

But it's so easy to do just that. Typically I get home and before I know it I've had a few beers or glasses of wine (not small ones...) and then I want a whiskey.

I'd like a sensible debate on how much is too much. How much do you drink?

Oh and it's so obvious it speaks for itself - or ought to - I NEVER BUT NEVER drink and drive.

Ed
Old 08-11-07, 08:50 PM   #2
Lissa
Just Ballast
Mega Poster

Default Re: Drinking

I drink loads, but only soft drinks or coffee. Alcohol just doesn't agree with me. Not anti-drink though, as long as people are sensible. I think we ought to be more like the French in this country and introduce youngsters to alcohol at home before they discover it for themselves. It might take some of the mystique and glamour out of it then if it's not seen as something only for adults.

I'd Rather Have Two Big Bangs Than Four Little Strokes
Lissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-07, 08:54 PM   #3
Blue_SV650S

I only drink if I am going out on the lash, that means some weeks my intake is zero. I really don't see the point in 'just a few' ... you either go out and get lashed/have a good time, or why bother?

To be fair after about 3hrs of drinking these days all I want to do is ...

In summery, drinking sucks ... it just makes you feel like plops the next day, costs a fortune and does your body no good in the process ... it also 'traps' you .. i.e. if was to have a drink at home then get a call to 'go' somewhere, then I can't ...

Drinking is for alcoholics, and kids trying to get laid ...
Old 08-11-07, 08:58 PM   #4
Demonz

I will have a beer or two in the evening - maybe once or twice a month. Other than that I dont see the point in drinking at home unless freinds are over.

I've always wondered why people do it everynight though - is it addictive?
Old 08-11-07, 09:04 PM   #5
kwak zzr

cant beat getting bladder'd at christmas on JD when there's nothing on the TV.
Old 08-11-07, 09:07 PM   #6
metalmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_SV650S View Post
I only drink if I am going out on the lash, that means some weeks my intake is zero. I really don't see the point in 'just a few' ... you either go out and get lashed/have a good time, or why bother?

To be fair after about 3hrs of drinking these days all I want to do is ...

In summery, drinking sucks ... it just makes you feel like plops the next day, costs a fortune and does your body no good in the process ... it also 'traps' you .. i.e. if was to have a drink at home then get a call to 'go' somewhere, then I can't ...

Drinking is for alcoholics, and kids trying to get laid ...
Dude spot on, I have really cut my drinking back and feel great for doing so....I drink if have friends round here, or we head out. I sometimes enjoy a drink when I'm chilling after a long day, but thats just the odd one.

As I have said before I am suffer from beer now so really feel no need to drink it....

When I'm working I don't drink, if I know I'm going for a ride I don't drink. So hence I really don't drink much now at all. I have more interesting things to do.

Yup I fall asleep as well, done that in a club or round a mates, one minute awake the next I hate morning after feeling, I spent alot of teenage years drunk up to no good...so why do it now! It also cost more now!

If wanna lose weight no beer whats so ever, yeah it does many bad things to you!

How old are the rest of you I'm 27 anyone else my age feel as me the same age?
Old 08-11-07, 09:08 PM   #7
metalmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwak zzr View Post
cant beat getting bladder'd at christmas on JD when there's nothing on the TV.
JD and RUM are my downfall!
Old 08-11-07, 09:13 PM   #8
Balky001
Mega Poster

A bit of binging going on by the sounds of it.

It would be nice to be able to have a couple of glasses of wine each night and appreciate the wine rather than just the alcohol, and occassionally I do. I rarely drink at home and seldom go out, but if I do I usually get bladdered, bad English habit! If I'm out for a pleasant drink 3 pints is enough but I often have to have another 4 or 5 as I lack control. That's why I usually don't drink. Oh, and after 3 I tend to dance a lot which isn't pretty
Old 08-11-07, 09:13 PM   #9
Razor

I don't drink much. One of my rules is no drinking on Xmas day, for me anyway.
There's plenty of booze in the house but I don't come home and crack a can open, not unless there's valid reason.
Old 08-11-07, 09:27 PM   #10
therealvw

Sounds like the people who are out getting Bladdered and then feeling poo the next day need to watch themselves. From the info in the news etc Binge drinking is worse for you than just moderate drinking throughout the week.
Also, some nice wine in an evening, then a couple of beers and then whiskey. Well, possibly the start of something bad? I've been there! Was getting to the point where the wife and I were having a bottle of red EACH, most nights! This was about 6 years ago. Did the French run and had LOADS of beer and wine etc. Had a bit of a shocker one moring when I went to finish the dregs out of the bottom of the glass!!! NOT GOOD!! Wake up call. Didn't drink for 6 months from then on.
Now just have a little tipple in the evening. Glass of wine just to help the dinner go down and maybe a beer. Fridays and Saturdays prob a bit more.
Alcoholism is not a subject to be taken lightly and I can definatly see how easy it creeps up on you if you let it. Some people are more susceptible to that sort of thing too.
When I go out to the pub or have an eveing out with friends I very rarely get totally bladdered, Whats the point you spend the next couple of days feeling totally shocking, and are prob over the limit still in the morning to go for drive or ride!! Anyone thought of that!?!? The morning after alcohol limit in your blood?