SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 03-08-17, 07:53 AM   #61
ophic
Mega Poster

Default Re: Electric Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red ones View Post
Think of Uber with autonomous self charging cars.
Johnny Cabs, Total Recall?
Old 03-08-17, 12:05 PM   #62
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
speaking of betamax and vhs give me an idea on how to solve the charging issue.

'cassette' exchange. you would pull up to a charging point stick your debit/credit card in the charging point would then read how full your battery cassette is at which point it will calculate how much it will take to charge to full state again and charge the card at which point an automated system will drop the battery cassette from under the car and stick a nice fully charged one in and off you go.

the problem with this.. every manufacturer of cars will have to adhere to a standard of the battery cassette.
When we did the leaf traing at Renault France. They where championing that idea
Old 03-08-17, 04:55 PM   #63
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Trouble is with changing the whole battery, you may be swapping your almost new battery for one of indeterminate age and condition, which due to age has lost capacity (and reliability), and the person who 'gained' your new battery may decide they got a bargain of a new battery for the cost of a charge and will not swap it again and just charge it in the car. So in the end the 'swap' system may get left with all the old batteries.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 03-08-17 at 05:25 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-17, 11:54 AM   #64
Talking Heads

The cassette change system would work if the batteries were communal rather than individually owned.
You simply don't need to own a battery, you just pay for the charge it contains.
In fact you don't really need to own a vehicle, just hire it as and when you need it.
Sort of pay-as-you-go motoring.
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-17, 12:38 PM   #65
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking Heads View Post
The cassette change system would work if the batteries were communal rather than individually owned.
You simply don't need to own a battery, you just pay for the charge it contains.
In fact you don't really need to own a vehicle, just hire it as and when you need it.
Sort of pay-as-you-go motoring.
Even if the batteries were 'communally owned' there is still an advantage to having a newer battery will its full capacity still available, so (I am speaking for myself here) if I snagged an almost new battery in a 'swap' I would hang onto it. I believe electric cars display the 'battery capacity' after a charge (how much charge the battery accepted till it registered fully charged) as this efficiency decreases with age of battery.

This communal ownership and 'hire it when you need it' is flying in the face of human nature because for most people their car is one of their most valued possessions, (and having a car available 24/7 for your exclusive use one of the 'freedoms' of owning one), which they take pride in 'blinging up' and looking after. Also majority of people who live outside a major city need a vehicle to get to work and back - so between 7 to 8-30 am and 4-30 to 6-00 pm you are going to need literally millions of 'hire cars' which will get little or no use for the rest of the day. Communism didn't work, don't see why communal car / battery ownership will either.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 05-08-17 at 08:30 AM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-17, 01:42 PM   #66
L3nny
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
This communal ownership and 'hire it when you need it' is flying in the face of human nature because for most people their car is one of their most valued possessions, which they take pride in 'blinging up' and looking after. Also majority of people who live outside a major city need a vehicle to get to work and back - so between 7 to 8-30 am and 4-30 to 6-00 pm you are going to need literally millions of 'hire cars' which will get little or no use for the rest of the day. Communism didn't work, don't see why communal car / battery ownership will either.
I disagree, I bet at least 50% of the population couldn't tell you the exact make, model and engine size of their car. In other countries I expect the rate to be even higher. They see driving as a chore, hence why they spend most of the time while behind the wheel instasnapping their mates.
Young people have been priced out of being able to insure a car.
In major cities, most young people just hail a taxi from their phone, even if they do that every day it's still cheaper than buying and running a brand new car. If they do get their own car, it's on a lease, so rented anyway.
For more people, cars are like white goods.
Car or bike geeks like us are the minority and a dying breed.
Old 04-08-17, 04:46 PM   #67
PyroUK
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by L3nny View Post
I bet at least 50% of the population couldn't tell you the exact make, model and engine size of their car.
So painfully accurate, I work in car insurance and it's not even funny how many people don't know the details of their cars.

Not helped by the fact that there are usually a minimum of 3 variants of each model, not incl fuel, doors or transmission.

Some of the bigger names, Audi, Merc and BMW have a mind boggling number of variations of each. E.g. 10 versions of a 318 or a c200 or a3

Also there are a number of car club schemes around, there's one in my town, has a few dedicated parking spots that are purely for their cars. Looked in to it as I only have the bike all the time. Not so great for my area as the availability and parking spots aren't great.

But in a bigger city I can imagine it works quite well.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Last edited by PyroUK; 04-08-17 at 04:48 PM.
PyroUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-17, 07:24 PM   #68
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Anyways Solid State Batteries are the future!
Mean time a NEW Nissan Leaf has been seen
Looks like following the Micra redesign look.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/nissan/...ost-pictures#1

Last edited by NTECUK; 04-08-17 at 07:26 PM.
NTECUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-17, 08:10 PM   #69
Kenzie

Just lurking here but wondering what is going to happen with motorcycles? I know they said about cars but will petrol powered bikes be affected? Are they planning on banning all internal combustion engines?
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-17, 08:37 PM   #70
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzie View Post
Just lurking here but wondering what is going to happen with motorcycles? I know they said about cars but will petrol powered bikes be affected? Are they planning on banning all internal combustion engines?
Its probably less of a concern as there's not meany 2 wheelers now!!!
Likely less in 20+ years time
But we have 'lecy bikes now,The car/truck tec will filter across to bikes too