SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-09-08, 08:54 PM   #1
Jase22

Default Contemplating a new bike

The other night I committed a sin, I rode another bike and everything about it felt better than mine. Better suspension, better brakes, better riding position, more comfortable seat, better power delivery, more fun.

It was a Triumph Speed Four, and after riding it I've pretty much decided that I want one rather than my SV, I've hankered after a 600 IL4 for a while actually. As such, I'm looking to get shut of my machine.

I've got a couple of options when it comes to selling, such as returning to standard, breaking it etc, but ideally I'd like to get shut of it pretty sharpish to raise the funds.

At the minute it's got some pretty flash bits, not to mention a spare engine, pair of polished heads (ready to go into said engine), and would probably suit someone who wanted to do some tweaking as a job lot. How much might it be worth?

SV650S-Y (2000), has been nakified but has clip ons. About 18k miles.
Nitron race shock
Sprint steering damper
DJ stage 1
Micron system
Blue Flame can
Race tech front springs (emulators ready to fit also)
Skidmarx pan

spares include:
engine (as mentioned above, c. 22k miles, but I think valves need re-seating and shims doing before putting back in as a diagnostic machine thing suggested an inlet valve wasn't seated properly)
pair of polished heads (bought from svrash, he spent hours doing them!)
Pair of wheels with polished rims (with front disks)
swinging arm
subframe (rear)
pair of SV calipers (I think)
Pair of GSXR calipers K1-K3
Extended front mudguard (in carbon i think)
Original exhaust system

I've probably got some more bits besides, but that's all I can remember at the minute. Also mileages I say about as it's got N model clocks on it so I have only got approximate numbers after I took off the S ones and did an engine swap.

To make my new purchase, I require just over £2k so would like to see somewhere in this range for the lot, reckon it's worth it? And if so, any takers?

Jase
Old 13-09-08, 09:09 PM   #2
instigator

Default Re: Contemplating a new bike

My experience for raising as much money as possible is to sell off all the goodies seperately if you can. Yes, that may include sourcing down some original parts to replace them.
Old 13-09-08, 09:11 PM   #3
instigator

Infact, there you go:

Maybe £1500 for your bike
£100-140 for exhaust
£150 for your shock probably (buy a replacement, standard)
£100 for steering damper
£100 for wheels?

Top £2k easy if you do make a bit of effort and advertise seperately.
Old 13-09-08, 10:01 PM   #4
Tim in Belgium

Just sold my SV (although it's still in my garage) for the bargain sum of 1100 GBP inc mods to date, but there was no hassle, advertising etc...
Old 14-09-08, 02:04 PM   #5
Dangerous Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by instigator View Post
My experience for raising as much money as possible is to sell off all the goodies seperately if you can.
I agree, having added extras on your bike doesn't add any money to the resale value really.
Old 14-09-08, 03:19 PM   #6
Jase22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
I agree, having added extras on your bike doesn't add any money to the resale value really.
Yep I've noticed that, but since most people who are looking to buy an SV do loads of stuff to it, I was hoping a job lot with a spare engine and stuff might be an attractive prospect. I'll just put all my bits up for sale then and see how much of a pot of cash I can raise.

How much is my bike worth though?
Old 14-09-08, 04:48 PM   #7
Dappa D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase22 View Post
The other night I committed a sin, I rode another bike and everything about it felt better than mine. Better suspension, better brakes, better riding position, more comfortable seat, better power delivery, more fun.

It was a Triumph Speed Four, and after riding it I've pretty much decided that I want one rather than my SV, I've hankered after a 600 IL4 for a while actually. As such, I'm looking to get shut of my machine.
exact reason i wouldnt ride anything else!!!
Old 14-09-08, 08:01 PM   #8

its the very reason I love getting my bike back after if it has been serviced, as its better than everything that I get as a courtesy bike..