SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 29-09-10, 06:16 PM   #1
Specialone

Default Slight rear brake issue, back to triumph tomorrow

My sprint has developed a slight pulsating on its rear brake when going slow, not noticeable at speed.
It does seem like the pads have wore down already 2500 miles, as there doesnt seem much there.
It could obviously be a warped disc but would have thought i would notice it at speed as well, probably combo of the two.
Have posted this on a triumph forum and apparently OEM pads are soft as sh1te.
I mainly use my rear brake for low speed use, sometimes on low speed change downs i will use that instead of front, but i rode my sv the same way and done 4000 miles on that with no issues albeit that had more engine braking and wasnt 128hp and 70kgs heavier.
Anyway, kind chaps at triumph said bring it down tomorrow and they will take a quick look.
I guess if its pads im responsible for them as its a wearable item but warped disc would be warranty issue i presume?
Old 29-09-10, 06:35 PM   #2
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Slight rear brake issue, back to triumph tomorrow

seized caliper.

2500 out of REAR pads NFW.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-10, 06:40 PM   #3
Specialone

Apparently its not rare according to triumph forum, the brake does work ok tbh, but sprints are notorius for having crap rear brakes.
Old 29-09-10, 06:46 PM   #4
Bibio
Mega Poster

sounds like a recall is in order. typical bloody british workmanship.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-10, 07:08 PM   #5
Bluefish

dunno, tested mine the other day, the abs works, bloody hell you sure know when it's working lol
Old 30-09-10, 09:36 AM   #6
Dicky Ticker

Brake pads are a consumable and even at 2500 miles it depends if you use your back brake a lot to take speed off for corners and such. I do and stick a new set on at every 4000 miles although I have never had disc warp or caliper issues.[42k miles]
Presumably your bike is still under warranty so a trip to Triumph for their opinion is free.
Old 30-09-10, 11:14 AM   #7
Specialone

Bit of an update.
Just got back from dealer, technician come straight out, no waiting at all.

Bike up on centre stand, into first gear, floating caliper pulsing in and out so disc warped, opposite brake pad down to nothing, started to grind on way there.

Fair play to the guy, he said even a heavy rear brake user should get 5k, average is 5-8k.
Straight away he said warranty claim for discs and pads, but triumph have to ok it, so picking up in a van on monday, expect to have it back 2-3 days they said.
Apparently triumph ask for a load of investigative readings then they say yah or nay.

They did offer me a courtesy bike but it would only sit in the garage anyway so they offered to pick it up.

Last edited by Specialone; 30-09-10 at 11:18 AM.
Old 05-10-10, 07:02 PM   #8
Specialone

Dealer rang me today, tirumph have had the info from the dealer and they are refusing to change my discs and pads as they say there is nothing wrong with the bikes brakes so i must have riding the rear brake pedal.
Dealer passed the scrotes number on so i rang him directly, what a to55er.

Had an attitude right from the off, very negative, basically said their stuff has been tested over 1000's of miles and there was nothing wrong with it.

I said i do use the rear brake mainly for slow speed stuff and sometimes for comfort braking when cornering a bit quicker than i intended to.

Rode my sv the same way and hardly any wear on them in 4k miles.
I pointed out that it is possible to have bad batches of stuff and the pads were way too soft and not fit for purpose.
I also said that warping discs have been a problem cos a few people have mentioned them on the triumph forum, front though not rear.

So, very peed off atm.

Whats a good brand of disc and pads to replace them with? i wanna put a better quality on as dont want this happening again.
Old 05-10-10, 07:12 PM   #9
Bluepete
Mega Poster

Don't give up on the claim, I had both front disks, pads and pins replaced under warrenty, just because the one disk was discoloured.

Pete
Bluepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-10, 07:31 PM   #10
Specialone

Pete, what they're saying is, i wore the pads down below service limit which in turn caused the disc to get hot and warp.

I know i havent used the rear brake excessively, but even if i did the fecking thing should be able to cope with 2500 miles, 1000 of which were running in miles so a lot slower and cautious, 500+ with the wife on the back which makes me ride smoother and slower so not really 'heavy' is it.