SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 15-12-12, 08:11 PM   #1
YZFriend

Default SV shopping advice?

My girlfriend is looking at getting a bike this winter/ spring and has been interested in the SV650F for quite some time.

I have a YZF600R and was trying to convince her that naturally the YZF would be a great choice. (which wouldn't be lying)

However after researching and much reading up on, I have no doubt the SV is a great choice and vote she gets one. In part to my curiosity of riding a good handling twin.

I have only ever ridden four bangers and love the top end rush.

I was wondering in our search for the perfect SV what major things to look for when buying one. I am pretty familiar to bikes and am no stranger to riding as a whole, so technichal things and nuances concerning this bike are what I am looking for.

I thank you for your help and hope to spend more time here. Seems like a good place and you guys do a great job weeding out most of the crazies lol Though I know there are those on every forum.

P.s. If any of you happen to have a yzf the forums there are awesome as well, both people and information.

Thanks for any and all help

Last edited by YZFriend; 15-12-12 at 08:40 PM.
Old 15-12-12, 09:02 PM   #2
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Default Re: SV Shopping

What sort of year are you looking for?

(can't really help with budget at I know nothing of US bike prices)
Old 15-12-12, 11:40 PM   #3
YZFriend

Default Re: SV shopping advice?

Most likely 2003-
Old 16-12-12, 05:31 PM   #4
phil24_7
Mega Poster

Regulator/Rectifier seems to be a common fault, along with water getting into the from cylinder. Both are easily remedied. I don't know of any particular problems with them apart from things that are caused by their budget nature. Paint from the forks pits easily without regular cleaning and the suspension is a bit spongy.

Regards

I'm not here for a long time, I'm here for a good time!

Blue SV650 K3, GSX-R K5 front end, TL1000S clip-ons, lower fairings, seat cowl, gel seat, Pyramid undertray, R&G crash bungs, stainless steel bar ends, full titanium Akrapovic exhaust, Power Commander, clear rear light, flush mount front indys, mini rear indys, Autocom 300 duo intercom, Acumen cat 1 alarm and Micheline Pilot Power 2ct's.
phil24_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-12, 03:47 PM   #5
YZFriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil24_7 View Post
Regulator/Rectifier seems to be a common fault, along with water getting into the from cylinder. Both are easily remedied. I don't know of any particular problems with them apart from things that are caused by their budget nature. Paint from the forks pits easily without regular cleaning and the suspension is a bit spongy.

Regards

Thank you Phil I will take those things into consideration. Is the soft suspesion guilty on shock or fork side of things?
Old 22-12-12, 04:25 PM   #6
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Both! The forks are worst though, easy and cheap to sort with a set of emulators and some proper springs and oil though.
Old 22-12-12, 07:21 PM   #7
Runako

Depending on her height, you might want to consider a lower seat or lowering kit. A female friend of mine was just about ok in stop start traffic but being able to touch down easily reassured her a little bit more when handling at slow speed, in tight spaces and is a bit more comfortable.

Also, throttle can be a bit jerky at slow speed, especially on not very well maintained ones. Partly due to the engine characteristics but also because the idle speed or throttle may need adjusting. It can make slow manoeuvres such as U turns a bit more tricky. Not as smooth as a typical 4 down low but she'll get use to the engine fairly quickly & avoiding a bad example or doing the adjustments will help.
Old 23-12-12, 10:19 PM   #8
YZFriend

Thanks for the feedback. It seems like suspension is usually the weak link in most budget sport bikes.

I plan on putting an R6 shock on my yzf to stiffen things up.
Old 24-12-12, 02:38 AM   #9
YZFriend

Meant to ask earlier.

Does this bike have a simple idle adjustment knob like on top of the block like some or is buried away somewhere? (Assuming there is one.)
Old 24-12-12, 03:45 AM   #10
STRAMASHER
Mega Poster

The idle adjustment is a screw on the left out from the injectors. Doddle to adjust with a Philips head. And at this time of year I always bump mine up a touch.

Give us a shout/pm if you need a low seat for a k3 as I got one for my missus but she hated the riding position despite.

Mind it's not going to be pleasant for you when she barroombahs away from the lights from your wheezy elastic band il4, on a mild whiff of throttle and some vtwin sonic boom*. Just so you know.

*yes yes I've been off the wee ankle biter for nearly a week and my right palm grows itchy and "absinthe makes the heart grow fonder."
STRAMASHER is offline   Reply With Quote