SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-11-23, 12:22 PM   #1
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default GSX-8S power boost

The GSX air intake is under the seat, it has two intake "horns" (my word) that point down and rearwards. If you remove them and the foam that sits under the filter you get a power boost. Not a huge top end amount but significant mid range.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZfJu9VDiWM

The same guy that produced the above video is reflashing the ECU which gains more power. I'm not particularly interested in the power increase but one thing he mentioned was how Suzuki has softened the initial throttle response to prevent a snatchy throttle - he takes that out for one of the rider modes. I'd consider paying for that (if he wasn't in the US).

Here's the reflash video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pa7bh1xZxJc
Old 28-11-23, 12:53 PM   #2
Craig380
Mega Poster

Default Re: GSX-8S power boost

Interesting stuff, I'm also surprised at how seemingly small the filter element is. I'm pretty sure the Gen 3 SV filter has a larger cross-sectional area than that. Intake tuning is a black art!
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-23, 01:07 PM   #3
admin
John T
Mega Poster

I wonder if those intake tubes are designed to pass noise tests. I did similar to my VFR, it didn't improve performance but made a wonderful sound.

Sent from my moto g(50) using Tapatalk
Old 28-11-23, 01:45 PM   #4
Craig380
Mega Poster

Yes, the real truth of most factory 'ram air' systems / snorkels etc is to dampen intake roar (and maybe get a bit of sympathetic airbox resonance) rather than gain real power. Ram air systems do have the benefit of sucking nice cool air, though.
Old 06-12-23, 10:24 AM   #5
Seeker
Mega Poster

Even more power! Airbox mod + Arrow exhaust + ECU reflash. At 5800 rpm +12 hp over stock. (+8hp peak at 8800 rpm - stock peaks at 8k)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X5p-KhD1RM

This is without a dB killer though, so too noisy (imho).
Old 06-12-23, 10:33 AM   #6
admin
John T
Mega Poster

That's quite a big gain.

Sent from my moto g(50) using Tapatalk
Old 06-12-23, 11:51 AM   #7
Craig380
Mega Poster

+12bhp (and the corresponding torque boost) at under 6K rpm is a very big boost.

The slight issue I have with all such dyno runs is that they're done at full throttle, it would be interesting to see what the gains are (for example) one-third or half throttle, which is what the majority of riders use the majority of the time. I rarely find myself needing more than half throttle on the SV because of the mid-range zip and grunt.
Old 06-12-23, 02:46 PM   #8
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380 View Post
I rarely find myself needing more than half throttle on the SV because of the mid-range zip and grunt.
Same here, even on my old curvy. It's only if I try to overtake in a hurry in top gear that I find myself with the throttle wound open more than halfway.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-23, 04:26 PM   #9
Craig380
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
Same here, even on my old curvy. It's only if I try to overtake in a hurry in top gear that I find myself with the throttle wound open more than halfway.
Just for fun, on my previous Gen 2 and my current Gen 3, I marked the twistgrip with a little blob of Tippex as close to the half throttle position as possible.

Rolling on from 70-ish mph in 6th on the Gen 2 (half-faired) on a flat private road and holding the throttle steady at the Tippex mark, I would hit 103 to 104 by GPS within half a mile or so, and maintain that speed.

On the Gen 3, the same 6th gear run on the same road would see 98 to 99 by GPS (the Gen 3 is of course without fairing and has a much more upright riding position).

An SV really doesn't need too much yanking on the throttle to get results