SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 23-05-07, 03:09 PM   #1
MeridiaNx

Default Chains: Tsubaki reliable? Why so cheap?

Finally narrowed down my choices for my new chain and sprocket set on my K3 S; sticking with 15T front, up to 46T on the rear and getting a 110 link chain to cope with the larger sprocket.

Having searched the forums, B&C seems to come up a lot when a chain/sprocket discussion is going on so that's where I've headed. They offer Renthal, DID or Tsubaki chains and I've compared them as best I can...

Does anyone know why the 525 Alpha X-Ring Gold, 110 links, comes in at about £22 cheaper than the Renthal or DID rivals? It's listed at £66.61 compared to the £88-ish of the others for a 525 X-Ring Gold chain with 110 links. Any reason why I should be wary of this, it doesn't signify crapness or anything? Can't tell if sprockets and chains are something that should never be skimped on.

Oh and while I'm at it, many people heard of/got any feedback on Supersprox sprockets? Liked the anodised (tasteful) look, with the steel teeth for longevity.

Cheers in advance for help, I did check the search results before posting but couldn't find the info I needed
Old 23-05-07, 03:14 PM   #2
Baph

Default Re: Chains: Tsubaki reliable? Why so cheap?

I really can't remember what the standard gearing was on mine, but I think I went up 2 teeth on the back, putting me at 15/46 or 15/47??

The standard length chain went on fine for my K6 S.

I got a gold Tsubaki (gold colour on the links), which I think is an O-ring. Renthal sprocket package deal from B&C was £104.

I haven't compared other chains yet, but I've been running this chain now for the last 9k miles ish (all weathers, including snow, bike has been left outside a fair bit too). Loads of adjustment left, and the chain seems in decent condition still.
Old 23-05-07, 03:20 PM   #3
MeridiaNx

Having seen your replies in lots of other chain threads on my searches Baph, I believe it was 15/46 you went for

Hmmmm, so 108 does you fine eh? Darn now I'm confused. While on the subject though, the Renthal sprockets you went for...was it an anodised rear by the way? Under the SV650 section on the B&C site they list a 'plain' front by which I think they mean steel. But for rears, they only have 'hard anodised' or 'silver' as choices which I believe are both alloy. They don't seem to do a steel rear from what I can see
Old 23-05-07, 03:20 PM   #4
Viney
Mega Poster

You pay for the name, simple as.

Its all in the maintence. i have only ever had (After the 1st replacement) AFAM kits on my SV. Last ebtween 26k and 12k

Scoobs has a supersprox

Oh, and if you can, get a Suzuki OEM front sprocket. Hard as they come, compared to Renthal and other steels sprockets etc.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-07, 03:26 PM   #5
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeridiaNx View Post
Having seen your replies in lots of other chain threads on my searches Baph, I believe it was 15/46 you went for

Hmmmm, so 108 does you fine eh? Darn now I'm confused. While on the subject though, the Renthal sprockets you went for...was it an anodised rear by the way? Under the SV650 section on the B&C site they list a 'plain' front by which I think they mean steel. But for rears, they only have 'hard anodised' or 'silver' as choices which I believe are both alloy. They don't seem to do a steel rear from what I can see
T'was a hard anodised rear.

Give them a call & talk to them on the phone, much easier than hunting through the website. I basically got a package deal part # from their site for the SV, then called them up with "This is what I want, but I want to tweak it a little & can't see it on your site... I want x front teeth, y rear teeth." No problem, cost something like £2 extra to change the rear sprocket if memory serves me.
Old 23-05-07, 03:32 PM   #6
MeridiaNx

Aha, sounds like a good idea thanks for the heads up Baph. Giving them a call now cos you're right, a lot easier to talk to a person!

EDIT: Hmmm, seems like Supersprox are out of the equation even though they do look bloody lovely. Currently only available in the stock sprocket sizes apparently so won't be able to get hold of a 46T version.

Last edited by MeridiaNx; 23-05-07 at 03:38 PM.
Old 23-05-07, 04:09 PM   #7
Bluepete
Mega Poster

I have literally just come in from fitting a B&C drive kit, 14th front, renthall hard anodised rear, tsubaki X ring gold. Had to go and borrow a chain riviter though! I would suggest getting one sorted before you start.
Ordered the lot on Monday, arrived today before lunch via courier.
Shiny, spangly, new chain and sproket with more acceleration. luvvvverly! (or at least I assume it will be when I car flippin' ride again)
Bluepete is offline   Reply With Quote