SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Ecosse For all the lads and lassies north of the border

Old 16-07-07, 02:19 PM   #1
Paul M

Default Naked curvy with engine problem -- anyone fancy a project

For anyone interested -- see my post in the For Sale forum here.

Alternatively if anyone wants to have a go at fixing it on my behalf for a reasonable fee let me know. I'd love to fix it but really tied up in uni work just now (last 3 months of my PhD ).

Cheers
Paul.
Old 18-07-07, 09:04 AM   #2
scottaadams

Default Re: Naked curvy with engine problem -- anyone fancy a project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
For anyone interested -- see my post in the For Sale forum here.

Alternatively if anyone wants to have a go at fixing it on my behalf for a reasonable fee let me know. I'd love to fix it but really tied up in uni work just now (last 3 months of my PhD ).

Cheers
Paul.
That sounds like the cam chain tensioner, quite an easy job to do, mine went at 9000 miles, if you drop it off will get it done for 150 quid.
Cheers
Old 18-07-07, 09:10 AM   #3
plowsie

Told ya someone could help ya here
Old 18-07-07, 10:43 AM   #4
Paul M

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottaadams View Post
That sounds like the cam chain tensioner, quite an easy job to do, mine went at 9000 miles, if you drop it off will get it done for 150 quid.
Cheers
I did suspect that was one possibility, but without the right tools to remove the cam cover and/or head I couldn't be sure. It was losing power (which was the main reason I stopped) and I noticed a loud tapping sound like you get on old Fords where the tappets are out of adjustment. So I guess if I'm lucky it'll just need a tensioner and be good to go... although I've done enough maintenance on car engines to know that nothing is ever quite as simple as you hope when starting work on a job

I've got a few people interested at the moment so I'll give them the opportunity to decide first if they're interested, because in the end I'm going to be selling it anyway as I have a new bike. So if it sells now I may lose money but it saves me a lot of time and hassle with transporting etc. But if it doesn't go shortly I'll get it fixed and sell it working.

Cheers.
Old 18-07-07, 11:09 AM   #5
scottaadams

Quote:
I did suspect that was one possibility, but without the right tools to remove the cam cover and/or head I couldn't be sure. It was losing power (which was the main reason I stopped) and I noticed a loud tapping sound like you get on old Fords where the tappets are out of adjustment. So I guess if I'm lucky it'll just need a tensioner and be good to go... although I've done enough maintenance on car engines to know that nothing is ever quite as simple as you hope when starting work on a job

I've got a few people interested at the moment so I'll give them the opportunity to decide first if they're interested, because in the end I'm going to be selling it anyway as I have a new bike. So if it sells now I may lose money but it saves me a lot of time and hassle with transporting etc. But if it doesn't go shortly I'll get it fixed and sell it working.

Cheers.

No probs, you should never touch the lifters on old fords they sometimes decide to **** off hahaha, the svs head can be taken off in about 15 mins, just drop the top engine mounts and lower the engine down, if you do it with the head off it makes it a whole lot easier, you would be losing power if the cam chain was slipping and grinding, but that could lead to the valves dropping.
Old 19-07-07, 12:32 AM   #6
northwind
Mega Poster

I bet you money it's not just the cam chain tensioner, that wouldn't generally cause a power loss until the valvetrain's squashed itself (an SV can run 10 degrees out, from memory, but what are the odds of it jumping just one tooth? Pretty slim), which is what I reckon's happened- not actually all that difficult to fix though. I wish I had space to take it on, but I don't

But, if anyone does take it on and ends up wanting a hand, then you know where I am, and I've also got most of a couple of engines (including one Paul sold me!) so unless it's crank I should be able to help out with bits... Might help.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-07, 08:41 AM   #7
Paul M

Cheers mate. The fact that there was no swarf or anything else that shouldn't be there in the oil seems to imply that the bottom end is OK. And the noise was definitely from the top end on the front cylinder. So I expect that replacing the front cylinder head (or maybe both heads just to be safe) would fix it... no guarantees of course until the head is removed and the cause of the problem discovered.

I'm getting tempted to try the fix myself if the bike doesn't go soon, as I expect I'd make a lot more money that way. But again time is going to be an issue and I'm horrendously bad at estimating how long a job is likely to take.
Old 19-07-07, 07:22 PM   #8
northwind
Mega Poster

Yep, that's the only thing that stopped me from saying "I'll come over with a head, 2 gaskets and some spanners"
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-07, 01:07 AM   #9
independentphoto

Quote:
I'm getting tempted to try the fix myself if the bike doesn't go soon, as I expect I'd make a lot more money that way. But again time is going to be an issue and I'm horrendously bad at estimating how long a job is likely to take.
Or put another way - "I'm a bloke". We're all bad at that one mate. "It'll only take 20 minutes" etc etc

Garry
Old 21-07-07, 12:47 AM   #10
suicidesam

Quote:
I'm horrendously bad at estimating how long a job is likely to take.
2 Days including trips to the fridge for beer

Was soooo tempted to say I'll have it off you, but if i had.. i think the good lady would be trying to remove bits of me before i removed anything from the bike