SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 11-10-10, 08:10 PM   #1
Jordy

Default Career Advice.

When I left school I didn't really know what to do with myself, my career advisor at school was a joke and suggested I do vehicle mechanics at school (because i told her i liked cars lol) at the time sounded pretty good so I went with it and enrolled at my local college.

Despite having 7 C's at GCSE they put me on a course that was full of knuckle scrapers and I've since realised that I should've been on the course above, but at the time I had no idea. I got on okay though, had a laugh and completed it with a distinction. I then went on to do a National Certificate in vehicle repair and technology afterwards and passed that.

Halfway through my National Cert I hated it, we were just going over what I did in the first year and there was hardly any practical also no garage would give me any work experience, so I was learning nothing. I became bored and lost confidence in myself when it came to practical tasks. This led me to lose any passion I once had for a career in the motor trade and decided I wanted to join the forces.

I set my sights high and went for a career as a logistics officer in the RAF I lost 3 stone and took evening classes to improve my grades (now have an 'A' in Maths & English) I had my heart set on it and was dedicated. But I failed to gain entry because I didn't have enough UCAS points and vacancies were low. I thought okay fine... It's okay I can join as a regular and make my way up the ranks, not a problem at all.

For over a year now I've been trying to join the army as as aircraft technician whilst juggling crappy dead end jobs, I was made redundant twice since I left college and it has been tough tbh. A few weeks ago I went to ADSC (army developement and selection centre) in Pirbright Surrey, for those that don't know it's a 48 hour long interview basically - Including physical and mental tests and a medical. If you're successful you're offered a job.

I got there after 5 hours on the train, I was there for about 2 hours... Got a medical deferal due to my acne which I have on my shoulders and back. Their excuse was it could become infected or just painful and I wouldn't be able to carry my backpack 'rendering me useless' lols. The point is they're being extremely picky becasue they can afford to be atm.

I was devastated and angry but couldn't argue, I had to bite my lip and take it. Also my colour blindness is too severe for my chosen trades. (Which they couldn't possibly tell me waaay back ). So shattered dreams really because that's all I wanted to do and I can't now due to something I can't help.

So here I am now - 22 years old, living with parents, working as a tyre/exhaust fitter... Which lets face it I could have done since I left school with no qualifications. It doesn't challenge me and there are no prospects. Plus I have to work every saturday! Grr lol. But seriously I am very worried about my future now, becasue I feel I can do better and I don't want to be 30 years old with nothing, stuck there. So here are my options that I can see.
  • Army - Different job choices (once the acne has been treated/gone)
  • Navy
  • RAF
  • Motorbike mechanic - I love working on my bike and I have some qualifications/theory knowledge.
  • University? - I can't think of anything I want to study and I don't think I have enough UCAS points.
  • Apprenticeship in something.
Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Sorry for the almost biography, I just wanted to explain my situation fully as it might help.
Old 11-10-10, 08:17 PM   #2
tactcom7

Default Re: Career Advice.

Mate if you're in Basingstoke take a trip up to odiham and ask for a look around the hangars there. Spent 8 years there so any questions just ask.
Si
Old 11-10-10, 08:20 PM   #3
Bibio
Mega Poster

what makes you happy?

22 and going threw a midlife. lol
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-10, 08:26 PM   #4
Specialone

IMO its better to realise you chosen the wrong path at 22 than 32, go for whatever you think has a future for you, you're only here once remember.
Old 11-10-10, 08:49 PM   #5
Bibio
Mega Poster

me:

cobbler

soft furnishings

blacksmith

computer geek

carer
Old 11-10-10, 09:00 PM   #6
thulfi

You'll be surprised how many different uni's and degrees there are out there. Check 'em out to see if you have enough points, etc and then look into those as additional options to the ones you've mentioned.

A uni degree in most things would open up a lot more doors, and you're only 22!
Old 11-10-10, 09:00 PM   #7

http://motorindustrytraining.com/

these are the people I used who would place people as fitters and trainee mechanics if your looking for this sort of a posting.

I was offered several jobs but I changed my mind back then, it was more placement based not theory.

The industry is suffering at the moment, so dont hold your breath.
Old 11-10-10, 09:06 PM   #8
anna
Mega Poster

I changed career when I as 26 not a problem, 22 is young enough to do what ever you want to do.

As has been suggested take a look at the open university and see what they require you may find that you have more then enough points.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-10, 09:19 PM   #9
qwerf

There are plenty of apprenticeships going at the moment as the government is pushing for them! Maybe consider doing a apprenticeship for BT or something, they have a very good apprentice structure and they will also pay for you to do a degree if you really want too!
Old 11-10-10, 09:22 PM   #10
Bibio
Mega Poster

think of something you would like to do then go for it.