SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 01-06-10, 09:33 PM   #1
MrFish

Default Gym/running advice thread

Evening all!

Excuse the length of this post, but you guys seem to be a knowledgeble bunch so I thought it was worth a go.

I have noticed that there are a number of rather vast threads concerning weight loss, running, fitness etc. about and thought that rather than let my quandaries get buried within them might ask a little bit of straight forward advice.

Background on me....I'm 6ft, 24 years old and have gone from 19 stone to 13 1/2 stones since this time last year (visual evidence of re-sexification available on request). This has been achieved through a massive change in diet and a small change in activity.

Problem is that depite 13 1/2 stones not sounding like much (in comparison with previous) i'm still quite (very) flabby with my shirt off and have sizable chesticles. Now maybe this is because i'm not particularly muscular, or maybe I just have too much skin (sexy image isn't it) I don't know but I would like to sort it out with some exercise.

I am returning to America for a month in 8 weeks time to visit some old friends, and for the first time in my life be confident enough to take my shirt off should we find ourselves on a beach, pool.....*AHEM* bed....etc.

I have tried Gyms before and ended up going about twice a week for 3 weeks before giving up.

I'm going to create a strict plan and stick to it as I have done with my diet and am trying to formulate a few ideas together:

1. Running 3 (maybe 4) times a week, distance of 2 miles, gradually increasing my pace for the first 4 weeks, then doubling the distance and doing the same thing for the final 4. I don't really have any experience of running so please tell me if i'm an idiot

-Do I need any equipment in particular? If I get some £40 running shoes and a stopwatch is this going to suffice equipment wise?

-Is two miles enough?

-whats a good/average/crap time for 2 miles?

-Is 3/ times a week enough?

2. Gym. I am thinking that If I plan to go to the gym 4 times a week I can then do a day of cardio (30 mins on treadmill etc.) followed by a day on resistance machines and swap things around with rest days in between.

-How long can I expect to do cardio for as a beginner? is their any specific speed/heart rate I should be aiming for?

-How much resistance should I be aiming for on a session? 5 sets of 5 reps on a pre-selected group of exercises that I would change around and increase weights with intermittently.

Maybe I should combine running with resistance training at the gym.

Misc. question..... My diet has been pretty limited calorie wise, do I need to consider increasing protein intake if I am to hope to increase muscle?

Thanks for your time in reading this, any advice, helpful internet links you have or even if you just want to tell me to sod off and ask a personal trainer my myriad of questions, pop a response in this thread.

Cheers all!
Old 01-06-10, 09:46 PM   #2
beabert

Default Re: Gym/running advice thread

Not being gay, but have you got any pictures? makes an assessment alot easier.

From my own experience, its alot easier to lose weight by eating less than it is by exercising. You only really want to be toning not building, so 12+ reps light weight.

The muscletalk forums are a good place for advice, lots off people have been there and done it already.

Last edited by beabert; 01-06-10 at 09:50 PM.
Old 01-06-10, 10:35 PM   #3
MrFish

Cheers for advice! I shall check out the muscletalk forums. Have to concur with the eating less stuff and for the most part I'm happy. I'm just looking to give myself a real 8 week boost before the summer.

As for photos, I can probably grab something quick (prbably pulling a stupid face and cradling a pint) off facebook but if you're talking about something a little more full body then I shall try and take one tomorrow.
Old 01-06-10, 10:36 PM   #4
beabert

untensed, no cheating lol.
Old 01-06-10, 10:55 PM   #5
Noble Ox

Eat lots of veg. Carbs in the morning. Don't go 4 times a week, I'd say 3 times a week, and vary your muscle work. I.e Chest and biceps one day. Back shoulders another. Abs and Triceps on third day. Go every other day. Do cardio on the day you dont go gym. If you do both cardio and weights on same day, do cardio first. If your doing cardio, you wont need to work your legs in the gym. Swimming is great for cutting down. But I reckon your best bet would be to turn it all to muscle.

If you do this you wont have to cut back on your food. Maybe even eat more. Fish and chicken are especially good. By the sounds of things you'd build muscle quite easy, as the mass is there already. I.e its way hard for a really naturally skinny guy (me) to get hench.

If you want to build muscle though, working your legs (biggest muscles in your bodies) releases lots of hormones for muscle growth. Cycling is good for this. Join the gym and do a spin class - God it's tough!

If your serious there's loads of supplements to take. Amino acids, protien shakes etc. but I'm not that clue'd up on it all.

Aran
Old 02-06-10, 10:20 AM   #6
chasey

You have lots of open ended questions there! Things such as how long you can run for, good time etc it all depends on the person. Some people are. what I would call, natural runners. Myself, I am not. I started running when I started training to apply for the army (long story short, I chickened out, regret it and am reapplying shortly..). I had to work really hard but it's amazing if you put the effort in what you can achieve. 2 miles for some people is a walk upto the shops and back, 2 miles for others can be a marathon.

I started off doing 2miles. When I first started running that I was getting around 13minutes.

Along with running I was doing weight training, or incorporating some pushups/situps/pullups into a run. It probably made me look like a machine (read: d1ck) but every little helps.

Depending on your goal and age depends what heart rate you should be working at. Can't remember what they are off the top of my head mind.

Increasing good protein intake is always a good idea. I used Maximuscle products. (Cyclone to initially bulk out as it's packed with calories then promax there after). I would recomend using Promax. I use it after climbing and can really tell the benefits. If you are using it as part of a training program you should also take it on your off days. Another brand that a colleague at work uses is PhD. Tastes crap compared to Maximuscle but has the same benefits.

Remember though, that the more exercise you do, the more calories you will have to take on to aid muscle growth and repair. Stay away from food full of sugar and saturated fat, eat the good stuff (it's normally green)! If you don't keep your calorie intake up you will start getting tired, won't be arsed going to the gym, stop going etc. Vicious cycle!

As Noble Ox said, vary your workout. Someone I used to work with went to the gym 5 days a week (3 days 2 times a day!) working different muscle groups and different areas of the body. There is lots of information on the internet some of it crap (like most of this post no doubt) however there is some really good information
Old 02-06-10, 11:50 AM   #7
MrFish

Getting some really great advice here thanks all.

Think I'm gonna do 3 days running, 3 days gym alternating and have saturdays off. I'm a complete flat-foot non- runner so i'm gonna stick with two miles for a while and try and push pace before I push distance.

Will vary my routine as well, cheers Ox, although keep it on a rotating basis so as to keep things simplified and focused.

Chasey, that Promax stuff sounds like it might be good idea although I am reluctant to push my calorie intake as I have been on about 1600 calories a day for 10 months (although I do rather let myself go at the weekends). This stuff does sound relatively low-calorie though.

The website says to take it 2-4 times a day throughout the day. Is this really necessary? will a portion before a workout (and after?) suffice?

Did someone say photos? hmmm....maybe I should have wiped my toothpaste splattered mirror first...oh well:

Those things that look like stretch marks are actually just scratches from when I used to tame lions...
Old 02-06-10, 12:04 PM   #8
flymo
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFish View Post
phoar! look at those beauties

Last edited by flymo; 02-06-10 at 12:05 PM.
flymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-10, 12:25 PM   #9
chasey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFish View Post
Chasey, that Promax stuff sounds like it might be good idea although I am reluctant to push my calorie intake as I have been on about 1600 calories a day for 10 months (although I do rather let myself go at the weekends). This stuff does sound relatively low-calorie though.

The website says to take it 2-4 times a day throughout the day. Is this really necessary? will a portion before a workout (and after?) suffice?

If I were to take it twice a day it would be after a work out with some water and then before bed with milk. Milk slows down the release of protein. There is a special name for it me thinks but not so sure what.

When training though I will have 3 a day. One in a morning as a snack (elevensies), after a workout and then before bed. Don't burn yourself out though by not taking on enough calories!

With the running try and mix it up a little over different routes. Can get boring doing the same over and over again. Different routes mean different hills, undulations etc. Keeps yourself and your body guessing.

http://www.walkjogrun.net/ - a good run mapping tool!
Old 02-06-10, 01:52 PM   #10
Noble Ox

The 'All in one' shakes are for mass biulding more than anything. I suggest you just get a pure protien shake (by pure i mean no extra wieght gaining ****) as you want to lean up.

Does'nt Createne flood your muscles with water? Give that ago may work for you.

Oh and Shakes in the morning are un-stomachable!!! Its so vile to get up and have one. Its suggested you take a protien shake within 10 mins post workout. But thats just what I've heard at the gym. But if you take too much, you'll just **** it out, and smell rather bad. My best mate drinks and eats so much protien. He doesnt listen when I tell him he is sh1tting money!!! and his farts gag!