SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-03-20, 05:13 PM   #1
pedro3178

Default Front and rear wheel bearings

Hi guys,

Since we ALL have lots of spare time on our hands I am personally spending a lot of time in my garage , not to get away from the wife and kids though... lol

Anyway the bike is all serviced and I came across wheel bearings that I bought when a store was closing . Since these have probably never been done I thought I would give it a go BUT , is this a diy task? Would I require expensive special tools? Any help would be great please

Bike is a 2001 SV650S
pedro3178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-20, 02:03 AM   #2
mrplasid

Default Re: Front and rear wheel bearings

Not ALL of us have extra time. Some of us are working flat out.
I would consider wheel bearings to be possible DIY job, all depends on what tools and skill you have.
mrplasid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-20, 07:35 AM   #3
pedro3178

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplasid View Post
Not ALL of us have extra time. Some of us are working flat out.
I would consider wheel bearings to be possible DIY job, all depends on what tools and skill you have.

Apologies , I didn’t mean to offend anyone.
Old 28-03-20, 08:37 AM   #4
Seeker
Mega Poster

Here's a video on how to remove and replace wheel bearings:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQbKXbhyFQs

When he refits a new bearing he taps it into place with a hammer directly on the bearing outer, I would use a large socket that sits on the outer race and tap that to reduce the risk of damaging the bearing (because I'm dangerous with a hammer) Whichever method you choose, you're trying to get the bearing in square.

Here's another video from Tamsen (who used to be on here, not sure if she still is): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsXyLfkb-Lc

You mentioned you had the bearings but do you also have new seals?
Old 28-03-20, 08:39 AM   #5
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Wheel bearings should be a pretty straightforward job as long as you know one end of a spanner from the other. Get yourself a manual, Haynes do one for your bike. It's laid out pretty well in there how to do the job.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-20, 08:39 AM   #6
Chris_SVS

Yeah can be done diy, just find the flat slot in the wheel that gives you good purchase to knock the bearing out.

You can then use the old bearings to tap the new ones in, without risking hammering the inner race
Chris_SVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-20, 08:59 AM   #7
pedro3178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
You mentioned you had the bearings but do you also have new seals?
If I remember correct , the rear ones came with a seal kit but the front was just new bearings.

It was NTN sealed bearings if that helps.

Thank you very much for all the replies. Again I apologies if I offended anyone, I’m just trying to keep busy and my mind off what’s going on just now.

Last edited by pedro3178; 28-03-20 at 09:01 AM.
Old 01-04-20, 03:15 PM   #8
pedro3178

Hey,

Ok, so I got my front wheel off and changed bearings no problem. Moved on to second wheel to which I was going to change the chain and sprockets also. When removing the clutch release screw assembly it basically fell apart! Tiny ball bearings everywhere. I have ordered up a new one but my question was on the clutch push rod, should this just move in and out freely? Or is something else broken? I didn’t force anything at all.
Old 01-04-20, 03:49 PM   #9
NedSVS

You should be able to pull it out a bit (don't pull it out completely or oil will dribble out), and there should only be light friction from the oil seal. Sometimes the oil seal will wear a shallow groove where it sits most of the time and it may take a tiny bit more force to start it moving, but you should be able to move it easily with just your fingers.
NedSVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-20, 03:54 PM   #10
pedro3178

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedSVS View Post
You should be able to pull it out a bit (don't pull it out completely or oil will dribble out), and there should only be light friction from the oil seal. Sometimes the oil seal will wear a shallow groove where it sits most of the time and it may take a tiny bit more force to start it moving, but you should be able to move it easily with just your fingers.

Thanks for reply. Yes, I can move it in and out ( not all the way like you say ) and it will also spin freely with just me turning it