SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 24-06-07, 05:44 PM   #1
LouLou

Default My DAS...the soap opera continues!!

Well, yesterday afternoon was eventful! Went out without the instructor for the first time on the 125...was good fun, junctions etc. seemed a lot easier and I'm getting much more confident with actually controlling the bike. Did notice that people in cars can be totally ignorant tho but that's another story

BUT!!!!!!....

I managed to drop the bloody thing twice AGAIN!! I'm doing it twice a day everyday so far!! First time was because I stopped in an iffy place went to put my foot down and nothing...the road just dropped away so over I went, I've learnt from that mistake The second time I went to pull off and did a major wobble I'm so annoyed with myself! At least now tho I cling to the bike so it's more a case of placing it gently on the ground rather than dropping it, fine with a 125 I can pick up again...bit worried about the big bikes tho...

THEN!!!!!....

On the way back to the training centre it all went pear shaped...the roads were wet due to the heavy rain...was approaching a sharp bend, slowed down but not enough...went round the bend a bit wide and then the back end of the bike slid out Luckily for me there was a junction on the bend with a crosshatched area for cars to turn right so the road was fairly wide. I somehow managed to stop in the centre of the road and avoided sliding into an oncoming car.

I don't really know what happened, I eased off the throttle but I'm certain I didn't brake, only as I was sliding to a halt to stop hitting the car. It was all very surreal...the bike went over but somehow I didn't...thankfully I didn't get hurt at all, I wasn't going particularly fast...obviously too fast for the corner and conditions but I consider myself lucky and I've learnt a valuable lesson!! A nice man on a gixxer stopped to make sure I was ok so thank you to him

I'm just really peeved with myself because I keep dropping the bike...my instructor has told me that perhaps I should do my test on the 125 as the big bikes are about the same height and if I drop the 125 then I'm likely to drop the bigger bike. I'm just really dissappointed with myself because this is something I really want to do...I know I'm a bit mad for buying my SV before I even knew I liked riding or COULD ride but I really want to be able to get out on it...I don't want to ride a 125 forever!! And I don't want a cruiser or anything like that either...even if I could sit flat footed on one lol

My instructor has taught people shorter than me to ride...I'm 5'2" which is small but not that small...he put's it down to my strength...or lack of!! How am I ever going to get anywhere if I can't stay vertical

Sorry about the essay btw!!
Old 24-06-07, 05:50 PM   #2
hovis

Default Re: My DAS...the soap opera continues!!

practise makes perfect

how did you do on your CBT?

what 125 is it?
Old 24-06-07, 05:54 PM   #3
ASM-Forever

Maybe taking your test on a 125 isn't a bad idea. You could still ride your SV on a restricted license 33BHP and by all accounts its still decent enough.

That said although a larger bike is heavier at standstill and low speed manoevures, when you are moving at a reasonable speed its very planted. However if you are dropping the 125 and have issues with strength...then it will only get worse as a larger bike is heavier.

I am quite surprised your instructor kept you on the road if you keep dropping it...there was a girl on the course when i learned who was similar and the instructor decided it wasnt safe for her/the public for her to continue. In the end she trained on a CG125 and did her test on it...which she did pass 2nd time . She bought a Monster so god knows how she got on with it in the end!
Old 24-06-07, 06:07 PM   #4
Rich
Mega Poster

If you do your test on the 125 you'll only be restricted to 33bhp for 2 years, then any BHP after that. And believe me it's enough power to start with. The SV is probly one of the best if not the best bike restricted so i wouldn't worry if you go the 125 test route.

To be honest i think it's crazy that people can go from doing DAS onto any bike they want. You can do you DAS in a week and then jump on a 1000cc supersports bike it's nuts, i know not eveyone will be unsafe but it's still asking for trouble!! I know a bloke whos done hardly any riding miles and just brought a gsxr600, he's not that bad but he just doesn't know the basics, and sometimes gets into trouble because of this. I know one day he'll have an accident if only he had a more sensible bike, or should i say brain he might be able to learn how to ride properly!!! I think its more the type of person he is though, not everones a d1ckhead!!

Keep going im sure you'll get there one way or another. Theres nothing like passing your test so when you do no matter what test it is you'll be over the moon...
Old 24-06-07, 06:12 PM   #5
LouLou

I'm riding a CG125 at the moment and it's a little on the tall side for me...I can get my feet down more on the SV as it's lowered so maybe that will help...I won't be too dissappointed if I have to do the test on the 125...it's just that if I can't manage to keep the little bike up then surely there's no hope for the bigger one even if I can get my bike restricted??!!

My CBT was the first day or two of the DAS course...dropped the bike twice on both days

Maybe I should get a mini or a midimoto lol...at least I will be able to reach the ground a bit better!!
Old 24-06-07, 06:18 PM   #6
Rich
Mega Poster

I did my test on a CG125 a cracking little work horse. It felt more like a cruiser to me though, it was lower than my SV!!! You'll be ok on the SV, when it comes to going out for your first ride perhaps go with someone just incase you get into trouble. And once you've done your test you won't have to worry about manouvers or people watching your everymove, it makes a big difference not having someone criticsing every little mistake!!! You can just tell yourself off !!!

Last edited by Rich; 24-06-07 at 06:26 PM.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-07, 06:24 PM   #7
hovis

it sounds to me, that the CG is too big(tall) for you, your instructor should relise this.
is there not another 125 you can use?
Old 24-06-07, 06:29 PM   #8
LouLou

I feel extremely sorry for the CG...poor thing lol

I did feel much better yesterday out without the instructor...much more confident...learnt that I can pick the CG up on my own and got the hang of the centre stand thing too

Had a few ear to ear grin moments!!

Maybe I should have bought a CBR125 rather than the SV...what's the seat height like

If I drop the rear suspension down to the softest setting how will that affect the SV? I guess it might sit a tiny bit lower with me on it but how will the handling be affected...it's on the second softest setting just now iirc
Old 24-06-07, 06:32 PM   #9
LouLou

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovis View Post
it sounds to me, that the CG is too big(tall) for you, your instructor should relise this.
is there not another 125 you can use?
I think you're right...they have a few old bikes with kick starts...don't know what they are but visually they all look about the same height...maybe they've got one with shot suspension that will sit down low when I get on??

I'm a bit annoyed really because I will have parted with quite a wad of cash and I'm worried that I wont be ready for my test at this rate...even if I am ready in terms of riding correctly dropping the bike will still be an issue...
Old 24-06-07, 06:34 PM   #10
dirtydog
Knob faced knobster
Mega Poster

You fell over again? Oh well *shrugs shoulders* it's hardly the end of the world is it? 1st one you say went to put your foot down and the road wasn't there? Not much to do with strength i reckon 2nd one dropped it on a bend again i cant see how strength would have stopped that from happening?

So you can get your feet down better on the SV then you will most likely be more confident on it, out of curiosity how has it been lowered?