SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Photos Place your images here. There's also a "U" rating so please respect this.

Old 13-02-21, 02:23 PM   #7631
Kenzie

Default Re: Vintage film cameras

Wow, black and white fest there! Let me know how you get on with that Berger film, been interested in trying a roll. I switched over some more parts to your XE, it's now got the correct self timer lever, I replaced the damaged viewfinder cover, so all it needs now is a prism.
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-21, 06:48 PM   #7632
yokohama

I thought I'd stock up on B&W. The local camera shop were running out of film and couldn't get more, presumably covid related supply problems. I've never really gone beyond HP5 and XP2, apart from Tri X in the old days, so I thought I'd buy a bunch that I haven't used before and see which ones I like best. Looking forward to trying out the Berger, the Potsdam and the Retro S in particular.
I'm glad you're fixing up the XE. I'd liked that one and want to try it again but I got so many others to test out first.
yokohama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-21, 07:49 PM   #7633
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Not much going on here, had the 35mm Flektogon on my K2 for a while. In a couple of days it'll be 10C and I've got some time off for half term so will get out a bit.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-21, 07:53 PM   #7634
Kenzie

Have you not got an XE Yoko? I'm back to work next week, only worked two weeks since Christmas. So depressing. I've got this on the way to work on when I'm off work (sellers photo) what are the chances of sucess?

Last edited by Kenzie; 13-02-21 at 08:15 PM.
Old 13-02-21, 11:38 PM   #7635
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Hard to say, is that rust?
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-21, 07:48 AM   #7636
Kenzie

Apparently so. Not sure if it has marked the inside of the lens though. Its a Voigtlander Bessa 1 and it comes with the 6x4.5 mask. I have another Bessa shutter I can nick bits from if needed. Have any of you guys tried Kodak Portra? Fingers crossed I should be getting my OMs back tomorrow. I may be sending him my Olympus RC for battery/meter repair and upgrade to SR44 as well as fixing my Pentax SV.

Sent from my Xperia using Tapatalk

Last edited by Kenzie; 14-02-21 at 08:09 PM.
Old 15-02-21, 11:54 AM   #7637
Kenzie

The XE-1 arrived today, I forgot to bring some batteries in to test it. So far the prism is good, so that will complete the restoration of the one you gave me Yoko. The only issue I can find with the donor is the wind lever won't snap back (which yours did also) but otherwise in good condition.

Old 15-02-21, 08:29 PM   #7638
Kenzie

The donor XE-1 is actually fully functional apart from the wind lever sticking, it will just need a drop of oil to sort. The meter works and all it would need is a prism. So I now have two working spare XE-1s and two fully working. The one you gave me is now fully sorted.

Old 15-02-21, 09:53 PM   #7639
yokohama

Was the prism easy to swop over? I read somewhere that they are quite complex cameras and not easy to work on. Good that you got it 100% again.
yokohama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-21, 07:17 AM   #7640
Kenzie

Actually they aren't too bad, the tops are modular so you don't need to strip the asa dial or the speed dial and winder to sort the prism. All in all to strip, swap the prism and reassemble both cameras was about 20 mins. Getting a good prism is the problem, they all seem to suffer from the foam. The one I put in had early signs if the problem, it was eating the paint but hadn't made it to the coating. I cleaned it up and put new foam in. The only issue I can see with them is the electricals, quite a lot packed under the prism cover, mechanicals don't seem too bad to sort. I even sorted the film door which needed a slap to close.