SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 24-02-21, 11:06 PM   #9281
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenrico View Post
I suppose it could have been worse if he had run over your bell end !
Or snapped your banjo!

Seeker, I'd advise a second opinion. just because on that occasion they gave you two seconds to decide you can always go back and accept treatment later if it is required. I had similar a surgeon keen to hit his quota for the week (cynisism engaged). Discussed the options which were surgery or no surgery, asked me to go upstairs and check my weight. Got weighed, then a nurse took my bloodpressure which I thought was odd....then appeared with a nightgown. I walked out, so far I've been ok without the surgery - but I did make a point of going back and taking a consultation 6 months later where I asked to stay on the books in case needed.

Your sounds a bit more urgent than mine so you can either see how that goes or perhaps get a second opinion sooner.
Old 25-02-21, 08:48 AM   #9282
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenrico View Post
They shouldn't have needed hindsight to realise PFI was going to be a bad deal!
The government does seem to have a habit of paying more than necessary by awarding contracts to private companies !
Dentist recently recommended deep cleaning which he could do straight away privately for £100. I opted for having it done on NHS and found I would have to wait 6 months . Since seen it costs about £65 on NHS!
Not that long ago you could go to dentist for 6 month check up and they would automatically do a scale and polish at the same time for about £15 !
You would think after everything that has gone on this last year the NHS would be safe but you can't trust what politicians say can you ?!
PFI was a Tory idea, but they hardly used it - turned out it was Blair and Brown that took to PFI like a duck to water, made them look good but really, really bad value ( cost much more to build the infrastructure ) and saddled Education authorities and NHS with massive debt for 30 years.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-21, 09:29 AM   #9283
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
A totally trivial gripe: opening a plastic container of apple juice using only my left (non dominant) hand. The container is made of soft plastic but, when full, has sufficient rigidity to allow it to be gripped with one hand whilst the other twists the cap and breaks the seal. Since my right wrist is buggered, I have been holding containers between my knees and using my left hand to twist off the various lids, it's worked till now. The problem is that when I successfully broke the initial seal of the juice bottle it allowed the container to collapse as the air came out. Since the lid was still tight I had to keep squeezing but now the juice was starting to run down my legs. No matter what I tried I couldn't grip the body without squeezing and releasing another trickle of juice. Eventually, I gave up trying to get the cap off and used a bradawl to pierce the bottle and decanted it to another container.
Other related gripes: peeling a banana and a satsuma one handed.
I developed pain and weakness in my right wrist, very painful to move, thought it may be carpal tunnel syndrome or arthritis. I read that fish oil / cod liver oil can reduce inflammation so decided to try it. I have to say that after a week my wrist was back to normal with full mobility and no pain.

These are good value https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00UZANS0O/

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
Old 25-02-21, 02:21 PM   #9284
Bri w

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
PFI was a Tory idea, but they hardly used it - turned out it was Blair and Brown that took to PFI like a duck to water, made them look good but really, really bad value ( cost much more to build the infrastructure ) and saddled Education authorities and NHS with massive debt for 30 years.
And shock of shocks, its the Tories that have taken NHS Supply Chain back in-house from being majority DHL owned.

Whether the cynic in me sees it as an opportunity to now sell it to a mate is a little unfair but are the Tories NHS privatisers?

Currently - Fighting the urge... seen a nice Triumph America

Previously - Honda CB125, Honda CB400-4 & BSA B40, Moto Guzzi 850, Yamaha RD250, Suzuki GT380, Kawasaki Z1B, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VFR, Triumph Street Triple R.
Bri w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-21, 03:27 PM   #9285
DJ123
Mega Poster

Quote:
I developed pain and weakness in my right wrist, very painful to move, thought it may be carpal tunnel syndrome or arthritis. I read that fish oil / cod liver oil can reduce inflammation so decided to try it. I have to say that after a week my wrist was back to normal with full mobility and no pain.

I suffer with this, and not found anything that works (except for wearing a wrist support). Which is fine when its on, but I certainly feel the inflammation/cracking/stiff joint when i remove it.

I've just bought those on that link, i'll see if it helps!

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-21, 03:49 PM   #9286
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri w View Post
And shock of shocks, its the Tories that have taken NHS Supply Chain back in-house from being majority DHL owned.

Whether the cynic in me sees it as an opportunity to now sell it to a mate is a little unfair but are the Tories NHS privatisers?

DHL is German, just taking back control

Old 25-02-21, 05:36 PM   #9287
svenrico

Quote:

I have been taking omega 3 capsules every day for years, not sure what the difference is between omega 3 and cod liver oil. As children we were given halibut or cod liver oil, by spoon I seem to remember.
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-21, 07:33 PM   #9288
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri w View Post
Yes and no. They've created Supply Chain Coordination Ltd. as a non-profit organisation to provide a standardised service but trusts are not obliged to use it, and the warehousing and distribution for SCCL is all outsourced. A lot of the non-pharma WnD used to be with DHL but my current client (Unipart Logistics) won the tender two years ago. Its keeping me employed so its working fine for me SCCL buys all the stock so if any container loads of dodgy face masks from overseas get procured its nowt to do with us - we just put it in a very big shed full of very long shelves.
Old 26-02-21, 01:17 PM   #9289
svenrico

Don't want to start a leaver versus remainer debate, we have left the EU now, but I haven't been able to see where the UK negotiators gained anything much from the EU deal.
As far as taking back control goes ,the EU have gained more control ,at least in dictating what happens between Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK !
British fishermen don't sound too chuffed about the deal on fishing. It seems like the EU negotiators have outwitted our lot on everything!
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-21, 03:39 PM   #9290
Craig380
Mega Poster

But we held all the cards, and it would be the easiest deal in history: Government ministers said so, and I see absolutely no reason to doubt them.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote