SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Ecosse For all the lads and lassies north of the border

Old 05-01-06, 02:04 PM   #1
independentphoto

Default Parking in Glasgow

Hi there.

Not knowing the exact setup for the council, I phoned to check on the requirements when parking near the rash which is parking machines in the city. I was told (after some time) that if you park in a marked bike bay, the charges do not apply. This makes sense to me for many reasons. You can't exactly argue that a biker hasn't put a sticker on and it's been stolen - can you?

Anyway, has anyone had any problems parking in the City during the week. I'll be on a first aid refresher course and want to enjoy the commute as well as avoid parking troubles.

Cheers,

Garry
Old 05-01-06, 08:17 PM   #2
quikstu

I parked in a bay last summer outside the DVLA office in West Campbell Street whilst transferring my number plate to my new bike.
I came out the office 30mins later to find I had been given a parking ticket.

Phoned to query it (not argue it) & put across my point that a bike can have the ticket removed easily. Was told that if a bike is in a "car space" then it must have a ticket on it.

There are a few bays in the town for bikes but unless you are up there early, ie 8am - 8:30am, I think you'll be struggling.

HTH
Old 05-01-06, 11:32 PM   #3
independentphoto

Hi Stu,

Cheers for the feedback mate. I'll be in early enough I'm sure - the course starts at 9am. That's the good thing about "all calls will be recorded" in these cases.

Cheers,
Garry
Old 06-01-06, 09:53 AM   #4
Dirty Baz

where about's in Glasgow are you coming to?

there are a couple of bike parking bays in and around Bothwell Street. you'll need to be there for 8:30 to get yourself a space.
Old 09-01-06, 06:09 PM   #5
independentphoto

Perfect!

I went to St Andrews Ambulance next door to my old employer (Scottish Ambulance!) last Friday. Parked up in Maitland St, right outside Stewart St Police station (who always have cars coming and going) at about 8.50am and stayed there 'til 5pm. No charge and no hassle or distance to walk etc.

Make sure that you're in a Motorcycle bay though when parking in the city. If you deny them income from a car driver (or six), whilst parked in a car bay, the council will recover this - and more by fining you . Fair enough I suppose, I mean you wouldn't want some scrote to block up you free bike parking without punishment , would you?

Might well be in again this week if the weather isn't too unkind.

Cheers,

Garry
Old 19-02-06, 10:46 AM   #6
SVTONYB

Sorry mate just managed to get myself logged back in to the site after a long absence......I was going to suggest the bays at Stewart St cause they are nearly always empty....they are handy for the subway and are a safe place to park.....but you found it anyway
Old 19-02-06, 08:57 PM   #7
owenieboy

Here's a usefull list of motorcycle parking locations in Glasgow

http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/en/Residen...cleparking.htm

Suppose a map would be out of the question GCC?
Old 20-02-06, 08:59 AM   #8
independentphoto

Now here's an idea.......

......a TOMTOM points of interest file for people to download. That way anyone with TomTom Rider or running it on a PDA in the tankbag would have no probs. Might see if I can work on this - no point waiting on the council.

Cheers,

Garry
Old 20-02-06, 09:23 AM   #9
Anonymous

i also did first aid course at st andrews place. i turned left and parked past ambulance bitty on the pavement. did it every wednesday for 6 weeks with no problems at all