SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-07-13, 07:30 PM   #11
sKiTz-0

Default Re: Pointy running poorly.

Cheers svshaz. I had previously thought about some part of the bike overheating when it was getting up to temp, but dismissed it as I'm normally up to over 90 degrees after a few miles. Some interesting food for thought there though. The fuel pump isn't in the engine so would take longer until the heat gets to it, I'll dig the bike out after work tomorrow and go for a little ride and see how it is from cold. That would give me another clue towards solving the puzzle if it runs fine until getting hot. That would tally up as well as I changed the plugs on Saturday morning when engine was stone cold, and only took it a mile round the block until my big ride on Sunday where she konked out.
sKiTz-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-13, 07:35 PM   #12
sKiTz-0

You've also just reminded me that the sv is the first bike I've had with no reserve - I found that very strange at first lol. And no centre stand. Ahhhh how I miss my reserve tap and centre stand
Old 17-07-13, 05:15 PM   #13
sKiTz-0

Ok so I've just taken her for a spin and she was running absolutely fine at first. Could pull full throttle and accelerate nice and smoothly up to the red line. That is until she got up to temp after a couple of miles, another mile later and the yo-yo-ing was back. This defo points to something overheating, fuel pump seems very likely.

They look like quite an expensive part to get hold of though to test out a theory - I don't suppose there is anyone local to East Manchester with a K3 tank I could pop on my bike for half hour to test the theory out?
Old 17-07-13, 06:10 PM   #14
wideguy

Isn't the fuel pump in the tank, surrounded by gasoline? How hot can it get?
I seem to remember that electronic components often fail to work properly when hot, then work just fine when they cool off. Not an area where I have any expertise, and that could be a false memory...
Old 17-07-13, 08:03 PM   #15
svshaz

Apologies, saying the fuel pump 'got hot' was probably misleading. The motor windings in the pump were what was failing after say 10/15 miles. Let the bike cool for 10 mins and fine again for a while. Bike itself was running at normal temperature way before that. When i changed the pump the fault was cured. Im no mechanic and not saying this is defo the problem with Skitz bike, just a previous experience i had. Unfortunately I'm not near Manchester or i would lend my pump/tank to try.
Old 17-04-19, 04:56 PM   #16
sKiTz-0

Not sure if bumping an old thread if frowned upon, feel free to delete if so. But I noticed this old thread had a lot of views, probably from people with a similar problem, and I hand't posted a follow up.

I took it in to the local Suzuki dealership and they had fun with it too. Couldn't get the intermittent fault recorded in the garage so they had to plug the laptop in to it and go for a ride with the laptop in the backpack to find the fault. In the end it was 2 throttle position sensors that had gone, one on the bars and one on the engine. Think it was around £400 in parts and labour in the end to sort it all out.
Old 19-04-19, 02:47 AM   #17
Othen

Quote:
Originally Posted by sKiTz-0 View Post
Not sure if bumping an old thread if frowned upon, feel free to delete if so. But I noticed this old thread had a lot of views, probably from people with a similar problem, and I hand't posted a follow up.

I took it in to the local Suzuki dealership and they had fun with it too. Couldn't get the intermittent fault recorded in the garage so they had to plug the laptop in to it and go for a ride with the laptop in the backpack to find the fault. In the end it was 2 throttle position sensors that had gone, one on the bars and one on the engine. Think it was around £400 in parts and labour in the end to sort it all out.

It was good of you to come back and conclude this old thread - that might just be helpful to someone one day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 19-04-19, 06:49 AM   #18
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sKiTz-0 View Post
In the end it was 2 throttle position sensors that had gone, one on the bars and one on the engine.
I didn't know there was a TPS on the bars - I know ride-by-wire bikes have one but the SV has (bowden) cables to the throttle bodies.

There are primary and secondary throttle (butterfly) valves on the throttle bodies which each have a TPS, maybe that's what they meant?

Irrespective, thank you for letting us know, it's frustrating not knowing conclusions... like missing a series finale.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote