SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 02-08-17, 12:48 PM   #1
Shiloh

Red face Bike running badly and fuel coming from the hose, urgently need to get the bike fixed

Hi,

I am having some running issues with the bike. A month or so ago it cut out then when restarted it dropped a cylinder, opened the throttle fully and it started and ran on both again then a few weeks later it cut out totally and wouldn't restart, instead it just kept cranking over opened the throttle fully and eventually it went again. Changed the plugs and the front one was wet with fuel, checked the coil packs and with new plugs both were sparking. Bought a replacement could pack just in case.

Today the bike had some fuel that was dripping out of a hose (see photo) and the hose has now split.

Does anyone know what the hose is called, what it does and where i can get a new one?

Also, does anyone know what on earth could be wrong with the bike to make it behave like this. Its driving me nuts and i only have a week to fix it and really need some help!

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170802_134003_resized_20170802_014019992.jpg (114.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-08-17, 02:09 PM   #2
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Bike running badly and fuel coming from the hose, urgently need to get the bike fixed

thats the overflow and drain hoses. fuel comes out of one if the bike is over filled or the spigot/hose is bust. the other lets water out if it get in under the tank cap.

as for the other running issues, well it could be anything. a plug may spark but how good is the spark, blue, white or amber?

ooohhh and BTW there is a section on the forum dedicated to the SV. this section is for other bike related talk and issues.

Last edited by Bibio; 02-08-17 at 02:11 PM.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-17, 02:16 PM   #3
Shiloh

Default Re: Bike running badly and fuel coming from the hose, urgently need to get the bike fixed

Probubly a daft question but whats the spigot?

The spark was amber when i checked it which is probubly not good :/

Cheers for the heads up, hopefully one of the admins will move it
Old 02-08-17, 02:37 PM   #4
Bibio
Mega Poster

drain spigot inside the tank. if the internal water drain hose is split it will allow fuel to come out of the water drain hose.

amber spark = feked. this can be the coils or the charging system.
Old 02-08-17, 02:41 PM   #5
Shiloh

ah i understand, take it that isnt an easy thing to fix?

I believe on was blue if i remember rightly and the other was amber. really hope this cures it. need the bike for work and then off to thunder in the glen when i get back from holiday

Is it normal for a little fuel to dribble out the hose from time to time?
Old 02-08-17, 02:49 PM   #6
Bibio
Mega Poster

yes if the tank has been 'brimmed' with fuel and left out in the sun.. oohhh wait i said sun.. whats that lol

water will come out the hose if the bike is left in the rain.. its the UK it always rains.

if one plug is blue and the other amber then to me that sounds like a dud coil or dodgey wiring.

btw, when checking plugs/coils swap the plugs over so you can rule out feked plugs.

Last edited by Bibio; 02-08-17 at 02:50 PM.
Old 02-08-17, 03:02 PM   #7
Shiloh

Will give that a try too. unfortunately the tank wasn't brimmed, had about half a tank maybe less. been left out in the sun tho and often filled quite high. had been accelerating really hard tho so maybe some splashed about or something.

Thats a good shout tho will do that and see what colours i get. how hard are the coils to change?
Old 02-08-17, 03:06 PM   #8
Bibio
Mega Poster

coils are nippy to change but not hard.

cant splash out unless the cap seal is fubar. only way it can come out is if the water drain internal hose/spigot is split.
Old 02-08-17, 03:15 PM   #9
Shiloh

Cool will have a go at the front one then, have to remove the airbox to get at them dont i?

If thats split do you know if thats something that can be reparied or is easy enough to do?
Old 03-08-17, 01:38 PM   #10
punyXpress
Mega Poster

Try a shot of WD40 down the drain hole at the filler orifice.
If all's OK it should drain out of the pipe in about a minute.