SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 01-03-18, 02:01 PM   #1
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Who doesn't own a smartphone?

I'm guessing I'm in a minority here but I don't own a smartphone. I do own a cellphone for emergencies when riding and I'm not against the concept, in fact, if I could justify owning one, I would.

Since my kids (and friends) are all in the US I use skype on my laptop/desktop to talk to them and I think the last time I used my cellphone was for a text for a delivery - and that was over two weeks ago.

I think the camera aspect is what I miss the most (my cellphone is very basic and doesn't have a camera) since I have to dig out my dig. camera, take the picture and then connect to pc to retrieve the pic, it would be easier with a smartphone.

Maybe next year...
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-18, 03:17 PM   #2
Heorot

Default Re: Who doesn't own a smartphone?

Seeker. I was like you until last year. Used my old Nokia for VERY occasional phone calls and my pc, laptop and tablet for the internet. The only problem was when I was out and about because the tablet has no internet connection I was relying on pubs etc. for connection. After much badgering from 'er indoors, I finally succumbed and bought a basic smartphone for £90 to use mainly as a wifi provider for the tablet if needed. It is a payg phone and costs me a fiver a month to run that gives me more than enough phone calls and text messages and just enough data to do the occasional browsing, emails and internet hub for the tablet. Looking back, I should have bought one in a larger format though. My other half's Note 2 has much bigger screen more suitable for browsing.

Honda 125 CG blown engine Gone to the great mechanic in the sky
Naked SV650 K3 in Silver

Last edited by Heorot; 01-03-18 at 03:19 PM.
Heorot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-18, 05:47 PM   #3
Bibio
Mega Poster

whats a smart phone... lol

i use a nokia slide. its small and it fits in my pocket. i make phone calls/txt's on it. i use about £10 worth of credit in 6 months so no point in a contract or silly smart phone.

do i want a smart phone... fuk no.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-18, 05:49 PM   #4
SV650rules
Mega Poster

I always had higher end smartphones for work, but always kept personal and business phones separate ( with some phones when I inherited someone elses number I got fed up with answering calls from private people trying to get in touch with them, as they had obviously used their works phone for everything, I never gave them a contact number but said I would pass their number on to person and they could get in touch if they wanted to). When I retired I had a Nokia and changed it to a Doro clamshell phone because I did not want phone in my pocket turning itself on and ringing people after I had turned phone off) I miss the old Nokia on button that was fitted on top of the phone rather than on the face, The only think I miss about smart phones is most of them had a decent camera where I am 'down to' about 5MP now. My wifes samsung spends most of its time hooked up to its life support (charger) where at least mine will last a week without charging, I could use mine for internet but am not interested in paying for data (PAYG). For navigation I have two Garmin Satnavs with lifetime free maps.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-18, 05:50 PM   #5
punyXpress
Mega Poster

- * ditto * -

That's ditto to Lance!

Last edited by punyXpress; 01-03-18 at 05:52 PM. Reason: beaten to it!
punyXpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-18, 06:17 PM   #6
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

I still use an old fashioned Samsung something phone but I am overdue an upgrade and I dont think they offer anything other than smart phones now. I dont really like touch screens but I suppose I will end up getting one anyway.
Old 01-03-18, 06:29 PM   #7
Bibio
Mega Poster

ooohhh and the phone was free. broke the last one so nipped into the o2 shop. unknown to me that if you are on payg you build up a credit that you can spend in the o2 shop, i had enough credit that i got my phone for nowt
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-18, 06:50 PM   #8
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles View Post
I still use an old fashioned Samsung something phone but I am overdue an upgrade and I dont think they offer anything other than smart phones now. I dont really like touch screens but I suppose I will end up getting one anyway.
Plenty of simple handsets about, I got a little Nokia for about £5, it's locked to EE, but it's on a PAYG similar, so I just buy a lump of credit which lasts for ages.

This is my emergency phone for when I'm out cycling, it's small enough to fit in my seat pack, switched off its battery lasts for months. It'll last for days when switched on.

I also use it as an MP3 player because it has a micro SD card slot and I copied my tunes to a card, and because the battery lasts for ages, it saves the battery on my smart phone.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-18, 09:20 PM   #9
Artful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
whats a smart phone... lol

i use a nokia slide. its small and it fits in my pocket. i make phone calls/txt's on it. i use about £10 worth of credit in 6 months so no point in a contract or silly smart phone.

do i want a smart phone... fuk no.

You only use £10 because you never text back.
Artful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-18, 09:39 PM   #10
Talking Heads

I had a smartfone and got ****ed off with it so went back to a buttonfone but missed the usefulness of the smartfone so bought another.
I don't use it much but what it does do is very helpful.

3 mobile 3-2-1 PAYG is my sim of choice, much cheapness.
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote