SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 11-05-09, 08:02 PM   #1
Stingo

Default Recommend me...a smartphone

So, as the thread title says really. Cost is not an issue. Music/camera/phone are the key essentials; all other stuff are desirable bolt ons. But why can one be better than the next one? Is it the ease of use of the menu/file system?

The Blackberry Storm looks interesting....

If it helps, I have a PC at home but use itunes for downloading and playing...
Old 11-05-09, 08:39 PM   #2
BanditPat

Default Re: Recommend me...a smartphone

If you can afford £40 a month then I would go for the HTC Diamond 2, I just got the new tocco and that is good. Plays all the music I download of iTunes at least
Old 11-05-09, 09:14 PM   #3
Bluefish

well as you allready use itunes, then you need an iphone. have 7.5 gig of tunes on mine at mo, so have plenty or room left for more.
Old 11-05-09, 09:25 PM   #4
BanditPat

Dont get an iPhone. My mate has one and he's on his third because they keep braking. You dont need an iPhone to play itunes so dont worry about that. Get a tocco ultra and get a big memory card. 8mp camera, 30fps video recording, great mp3 player, google maps navagation as well as all the other stuff it has and it looks and feels amazing.
Old 11-05-09, 09:28 PM   #5
Woz

Can't recommend the HTC Touch Cruise (O2 XDA Orbit 2) highly enough.

And, by strange coincidence, I have one for sale on Ebay right now
Old 11-05-09, 10:07 PM   #6
Jamiebridges123

Oh?
Old 12-05-09, 01:42 AM   #7
ryanh1418

+1 for the little known HTC phones. Got an HTC Touch HD a couple of months back. All good except no flash on the camera.
Old 12-05-09, 03:00 AM   #8
L3nny
Mega Poster

I got a HTC phone, branded as a Vodafone 1415, utter rubbish, a full charge lasts about 6 hours, less if you make a call. Buttons are falling off, it's slow and crashes all the time.

It's so slow sometimes you miss a call because the answer button takes so long to respond it's alrerady gone to voicemail.

Heard only good things about the Google phones and cause they are all open source you wont get raped for £3 every time you want to add a new app like you do with the I-Phone

Last edited by L3nny; 12-05-09 at 03:56 AM.
L3nny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-09, 08:05 AM   #9
Jay1

I have a Samsung Omnia and love it. It is much like the HTC phones in that it is a Windows mobile device, and for that reason is very powerful for a phone. Will do everything you want it to and more. However, being Windows mobile devices they do take a little getting used to and are not as fast as non smart phones (like the tocco). If you have the patience to get used to the opperating system then they are absolutely fantastic though.

Either way, if you haven't had a full on touch screen phone before, have a play with a couple in the shop first to make sure you like them, as they can be an aquired taste.

Also worth looking at is the nokia touch screen. My missus has just got one and it is very very good. Very easy to use, plenty of memory, excellent camera. It's a lot more straight forward than a windows mobile phone, and in my opinion the touch interface is better than the omnia, HTC's and the blackberry storm

The Blackberry storm is a decent phone but it is huge, and it is a funny touch interface, in that you have to actually click the screen, like a mouse, to select things. Personally I don't like it, and it's definately a try before you buy one.
Old 12-05-09, 09:59 AM   #10
Graciepants

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=130782

this has some interesting things too