SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 30-01-14, 04:30 PM   #1
Sweetthy

Default Mounting a smartphone for GPS use

Hiya guys,

As the title mentioned I want to be able to mount my smartphone (a galaxy S3) to be use as a gps.

I have searched the web and the forum quite a lot, and I am aware of the ultimate mobile stem mount and the need to extended the current hole.

The reason behind the post is more to gather feedback, on which is the best option between the stem mount or buying a tank bag and leaving the phone in the clear pocket on top.

One of my concern is after searching about the mount, I read that the vibration will damage the phone sensors.

Any comments are welcome.

Thanks,
Old 30-01-14, 07:33 PM   #2
SIII
Mega Poster

Talking Re: Mounting a smartphone for GPS use

I have used ultimate addons case and charging lead. Have had no problems using the phone, sensors have not been affected. The only problem i have encountered is letting the charging lead get wet, when away overnight, You must make sure rubber cover is fitted and the plug tucked out of the way and it is OK.

I made up my own bracket and attatched to the left clip-on bolts. There are pictures on here somewhere. Just used UA's standard ball & bolt mount attatched to a bracket.

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.p...ltimate+addons
Old 30-01-14, 07:35 PM   #3
SvNewbie

Default Re: Mounting a smartphone for GPS use

I've tried using a mobile phone in the tank bag. Was pointless. Couldn't read the screen without looking at the ground, only really possible on the motorway. I've had better results just listening to the directions.

Most of the time I just write the directions down, roads and maybe a few obvious waypoint (junction number, that funny crossroads or that large church) gathered from google street view. I've been able to make journeys of 200+ miles without checking a map, and have arrived exactly where I was supposed to be without getting lost. The only slight issue with this technique is if you do manage to get off route, you are gubbed
Old 30-01-14, 08:24 PM   #4
maviczap
Mega Poster

http://www.ridermount.com/home/categ...ung-galaxy-s3/
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-14, 05:54 PM   #5
Sweetthy

Hi again,

So just purchased the gears from ultimate addons, will install ideally on Thursday - weather permitted.

I was wondering where was the best place to run and attached the charging cable, if you have some pictures it would be great.

Is it necessary to remove the fuel tank? If so, is it difficult and is there any thing to be extra careful with?
Old 17-02-14, 09:11 AM   #6
SIII
Mega Poster

Just lift the tank and you can feed the charging cable down the side between airbox and frame. Thread it through the tank hinge. The charge lead has a black box that stops it from draining the battery. Loads of spare cable but there's plenty of space under there.
Old 21-02-14, 02:58 PM   #7
Sweetthy

Thank you all for your time, answers and advices.

Install the lot this morning, took only 45 minutes.

And for the purpose of information, the charging cable produced the same charging power than a wall plug - which means the smartphone battery shouldn't be empty for those very long trip!
Old 21-02-14, 03:57 PM   #8
Mark_h
Mega Poster

Having tried various combinations of car GPS/mobile in plastic bags/GPS mounts/tank bags etc they are, in my experience, largely useless.

If it's sunny you can't see the screen as the cover will invariable be very reflective.

If it's rainy it's even more shiny and will probably fog up if it's ever had a drop of water in it

If you need to press any buttons, it may well work behind the screen but unlikely to be able to do anything sensible with gloves on.

If you stop to have a proper look then it will probably zoom in so you can't see more than 200 yards in any direction on the screen anyway.

But apart from that they are fab.

Maybe I've just been unlucky but now if I use anything at all I do not expect to be able to see it while riding and expect to take my gloves off to interact with it. If you really really need a satnav on your bike, invest in a bike satnav designed for the job.

Doubtless lots of people will now chip in and say I'm talking rubbish but I will caveat my rubbish with the fact that none of my experiments have ever proved successful. But the car sat-nav in a freezer bag in the map pocket of my tank bag was probably the least unsuccessful.
Aliquid prudentissimus delectabiles et intelligentes in adamasset lingua.
Mark_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-14, 04:30 PM   #9
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_h View Post
Having tried various combinations of car GPS/mobile in plastic bags/GPS mounts/tank bags etc they are, in my experience, largely useless.

But apart from that they are fab.

Maybe I've just been unlucky but now if I use anything at all I do not expect to be able to see it while riding and expect to take my gloves off to interact with it. If you really really need a satnav on your bike, invest in a bike satnav designed for the job.

Doubtless lots of people will now chip in and say I'm talking rubbish but I will caveat my rubbish with the fact that none of my experiments have ever proved successful. But the car sat-nav in a freezer bag in the map pocket of my tank bag was probably the least unsuccessful.
Z1 with a matt screen protector sitting in a charge case .
Fine and dandy lemonade shandy

Last edited by NTECUK; 21-02-14 at 04:31 PM.
NTECUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-14, 04:36 PM   #10
Mark_h
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTECUK View Post
Z1 with a matt screen protector sitting in a charge case .
Fine and dandy lemonade shandy
How does that cope with rain and not falling out and smashing into a million bits on the motorway? Do any nav buttons work with gloves on?
Aliquid prudentissimus delectabiles et intelligentes in adamasset lingua.
Mark_h is offline   Reply With Quote