SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Photos Place your images here. There's also a "U" rating so please respect this.

Old 29-12-17, 08:24 AM   #4511
Kenzie

Default Re: Vintage film cameras

There was me thinking you had jumped the Contax/Kiev gang and gone straight to the top and bought a Leica iii or something. The camera on that phone is supposed to be very good. The Kiev is actually quite nice to use once you get going with it, I was using the one with the broken rangefinder and I kept putting my finger over the top of the rf window. The Contax grip is going to take some time to getting used to. The shutter is whisper quite and sometimes hard to hear that it has even fired. I had a yellow filter on the front but forgot to add a stop to counter the loss of light. I'm thinking of opening it up in a dark bag and taking the film out rather than run the full roll, I will be left with a short roll but I can put it in something else that needs testing. I'll scan in the 44A film today. Send me the link Yoko, its alway good to see the photos.

Sent from my Xperia using Tapatalk
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-17, 09:38 AM   #4512
yokohama

The Kiev sounds quite pleasant to use. I'd be interested to see the results. I still have one on my wishlist but I'm not in a rush. Have far too many untested machines to play with first. Still tempted by a Nikon though .....
yokohama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-17, 10:01 AM   #4513
Kenzie

Just scanning the film from the 44A at the moment. I messed up with the developing, I thought it was Rerapan 100 which is 8 mins at 20c but its Rollei 80S which needs 12mins. Oops. I too have way too many that I have yet to use so I am trying hard not to buy any new ones, really hard though.
Old 29-12-17, 10:15 AM   #4514
Kenzie

Old 29-12-17, 10:51 AM   #4515
yokohama

They've got a really nice vintage feel to them. What's the 44a - a Yashica?
I'd really like to have a go at developing B&W. Something to think about for this year.
Old 29-12-17, 11:12 AM   #4516
Kenzie

Yeah, baby TLR from the car boot. The crane one has some newton rings on it where I taped it to the glass though. I was wanting to get out and shoot again today but its raining, it might ease off later on hopefully. The film has picked up some dust and hair though which is annoying. I would say go for it, I think you can buy whole kits now which makes it easier. You would then just need to choose a developer, stop and fixer. I keep meaning to get some photo flow to help with the streaks and water marks. This seems like a good deal, I have this tank and its easy to load and use https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/35MM-120-....c100005.m1851
Old 29-12-17, 11:57 AM   #4517
yokohama

Snowing here, but I need to stay in until ebay/Amazon deliveries arrive.
The kit you linked is one I was looking at yesterday and as you say, it's pretty much all there apart from chemicals.
WYC used to do a kit too although it's not on the new website. I'll drop in when it reopens after new year. (must remember to leave all plastic cards at home!)
Old 29-12-17, 12:06 PM   #4518
Kenzie

Its stopped raining here but still windy. I need to get up and put the new covers on my campervan at some point as the old ones have rotted away again.
Old 29-12-17, 01:44 PM   #4519
Kenzie

I just developed the part shot roll from the Kiev 4, a little frame spacing issue here and there but looking sharp. They are drying at the moment so I will scan them and post them up later. I need a film squeegee to help get the water off, and some proper film clips. This one is a bit more but comes with chemical storage jugs and a changing bag http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Film-Devel...26.m2548.l4275

Last edited by Kenzie; 29-12-17 at 01:48 PM.
Old 29-12-17, 04:19 PM   #4520
Kenzie

I just followed this guide http://pheugo.com/cameras/index.php?page=ilexprecise and completely tore down the shutter on my Argus AF. I have never torn a camera apart to this level (at least not with the intention of repairing it) and it all went back together after a soak in lighter fluid and is now firing well. Another one for the test queue!