SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 29-05-18, 09:10 PM   #1
Tannoy964

Default Tachometer for 1st Gen SV650 track day bike.

Hi Everyone.
I'm looking to put a tachometer on my track day SV. The reason being: to pass some track day noise tests I'm told you need to hold a certain RPM for the test to be valid. Holding the revs by ear alone is apparently not going to fly..
So, I'm looking for some guidance as to what use equipment would do the job? Specifically would any cylinder 4 stroke tacho work? I'm assuming some will and some won't (cylinder number dependant?). I've removed most of the original wiring but did have the foresight to keep the relevant cables in order to wire a tacho in (assuming the requirements are the same as the original clocks) at a later date.
I've sold the old clocks so they're off the table, in any case I'm looking ideally for just a cheap/basic tacho, with no added extras.....Any thoughts?
Tannoy964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-18, 07:23 AM   #2
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Default Re: Tachometer for 1st Gen SV650 track day bike.

Something similar to this might do you,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-L...cAAOSwD4law01M

There are also Phone apps but they are a bit hit-and-miss.

HTH

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 30-05-18 at 07:27 AM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-18, 10:03 AM   #3
daktulos

I bought one to try and replace mine (which was broken at the time) on my curvy. I couldn't get it to fit, so gave in and bought a genuine replacement in the end.

https://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Produ...n=456&p=659085

I cracked open the case, so it's not waterproof any more, but if I can find it I'm happy to send it you if you want to have a play.
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-18, 11:11 AM   #4
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannoy964 View Post
Hi Everyone.
I'm looking to put a tachometer on my track day SV. The reason being: to pass some track day noise tests I'm told you need to hold a certain RPM for the test to be valid. Holding the revs by ear alone is apparently not going to fly.. I've sold the old clocks so they're off the table, in any case I'm looking ideally for just a cheap/basic tacho, with no added extras.....Any thoughts?
If you only need the rev counter for noise test and have got by without one this far what is wrong with digital one like R1ffR4ff linked to, it is certainly cheap enough - you could even make it plug in and take it off for racing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
I prefer analog gauges. I have this weird theory that when you glance at an instrument you're not interested in what it's reading, you're interested in what it's not reading.
So, on a speedo - you glance at the dial and from it's position you know that it's not 30 mph (for example), you know you're going too quick/too slow - if you read a digital gauge and it says 32 mph, you're brain has to understand the numbers, realise it's too fast and react. Similarly with a rev counter, you don't care that it's 9500 rpm, you only care that it's not red line. I have other theories too, most just as daft
If speed limit signs were analogue I may agree with you about analogue speedometers. The older digital speedometers that used to whizz up and down in a blur of unstable digits were pants, but modern ones like the high position one on my Civic (right under bottom edge of windscreen where you don't have to look down at it) are very easy to read and are very stable.

I find the horizontal 'bar type' rev counter on AL7 pretty easy to read at a glance.

I still prefer analogue watches though ( In fact I may be an analogue human in a digital world ).

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 30-05-18 at 05:46 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-18, 07:56 PM   #5
Tannoy964

Thanks everyone! I just spotted a typo...I was supposed to write "used" equipment not "use" in my post... I was hoping an old unit from ??? bike would do....

Having said that... I hadn't considered a new generic option and your suggestions would work + won't break the bank.

Thanks for the offer of the old unit to tinker with daktulos but I'm going to go down the new unit route now I think.

All that's left is the old analogue or digital decision I need to wrestle with ...probably old school..

Thanks again for all the help and advice ... case closed!
Tannoy964 is offline   Reply With Quote