SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 31-08-08, 12:24 AM   #1
chakraist

Default Two weeks to pay day... but...

Apologies for the multiple elipsis but I'm a little bit worried. Now, I'm not really afraid of the rear sliding about but what are the chances of the tire exploding/delaminating on me?

Now, I'll be doing about 400-500 miles over the next two weeks and pay day is the 15th. The bit in the middle where the tread is thinning/beading is almost visible is only on about a third of the tire, the rest still has full tread. Not sure how to adapt my riding style to match, I have been using rear brake more recently as I'm just now starting to get the hang of using it and still getting a relatively okay body position; should I stop?

Will I make it to pay day?
Was thinking of another Z6 (this one has gone off extremely quick over about 50 miles) or maybe back to the supercorsa pro etc type of tyre.

edit: The band of tearing on the tire is narrower than it appears on the photo, iPhone camera is not very good.

Last edited by chakraist; 31-08-08 at 12:27 AM.
Old 31-08-08, 12:32 AM   #2
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Default Re: Two weeks to pay day... but...

That's what I don't like about Z6's. You can't tell how low the tread is until the tyre is fooked because there is no tread in the middle. That won't last 400 miles
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-08, 12:38 AM   #3
chakraist

Bugger. In fairness, I've already had, daamn, thinking about it I've had 6k out of them already and they'd done about 2k when I bought the bike from AndyB. Crazy.

edit: 4k out of one of blue's scrubbed SC Pros before (I think due to me) bike died too.
Old 31-08-08, 09:41 AM   #4
Luckypants
Mega Poster

No chance mate, you will have canvas showing in 50 miles.

Do you have a mate / parent with a credit card that can pay for a new rear? You can pay them back on pay day before they have to pay the credit card bill? (I'm assuming you don't have one yourself else you wouldn't be waiting for pay day?) I did that recently for a friend whose tyres had gone the same way, they paid me back before my credit card bill even arrived.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-08, 09:56 AM   #5
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
No chance mate, you will have canvas showing in 50 miles.

Do you have a mate / parent with a credit card that can pay for a new rear? You can pay them back on pay day before they have to pay the credit card bill? (I'm assuming you don't have one yourself else you wouldn't be waiting for pay day?) I did that recently for a friend whose tyres had gone the same way, they paid me back before my credit card bill even arrived.
If you don't then PM me and I'll lend you the dough until pay day! This thread has been playing on my mind and if you have to use the bike, then you WILL need to change that tyre else it could/would end in tears
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-08, 10:10 AM   #6
Dangerous Dave

Have a look for second hand tyres, they can be picked up for next to nothing and some will even last for 1000+ miles.
Old 31-08-08, 10:13 AM   #7
muffles

Yeah you do need to change that mate, wouldn't risk riding on it at all, perhaps not even to go to the tyre place, depending on distance! Once you get that line...it's about to go...
Old 31-08-08, 10:29 AM   #8
chakraist

Ah, I had no idea it was so bad! Thanks very much, I'll either head to a tyre place cause I can pick something up for cheap (I mean, I can spend about £30-40 quid and still be fine). If not, I'll get the bus - saves me money anyways, and I can catch on on some reading. I honestly had no idea it was that bad, I've been out riding quite fast with the tyre like that.
Old 31-08-08, 10:37 AM   #9
Blue_SV650S

As others have said, you won't get another 500 miles out of that! Well you might, but you really would be pushing your luck!!

Do you not have a credit card/overdraft?
Old 31-08-08, 10:51 AM   #10
Warthog

Mine and Philbut's Z6's did exactly the same thing, seem totally fine then pow they are gone and you have about 200 miles to replace them. Mine did 7100 miles last time.