SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 29-06-11, 12:26 AM   #1
my_galaxy

Default 2008 sv650 clutch issue & abs issue

guys i just bought 08 sv650s. today \i am having unusual problem.
-when i start by pressing clutch. as i press clutch lever and put first gear it shuts off. :<
clutch works when engine is off (when in gear it rolls by pressing clutch\) but when engine running bike shuts off and i hear gear grinding. what could be the problem?\

-abs light comes on as i start but goes away as i put the bike in gear and drive around 10 feet (when it was driveable)

please help
thanks
jag
Old 29-06-11, 05:23 AM   #2
dazbo

Default Re: 2008 sv650 clutch issue & abs issue

Does this happen when your sidestand is up? There is a switch on the sidestand which will cut the engine when you put it into gear if you haven't put the stand up.
dazbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-11, 09:47 AM   #3
ImplodedHamster

ABS needs a type of calibration, and by the sounds of it about 10 feet worth of wheel rotations. Most bikes with ABS do this

can't help with the clutch though...
Old 29-06-11, 10:00 AM   #4
andreis

I don't believe it's calibration. Any calibration that is done to ABS is done at the factory (this is why there's almost always a delay between when they release a bike and when the ABS model comes on - they need PRODUCTION bikes to do the calibration required).

It's just that ABS on a bike will not work for very low speeds (under ~6mph). When this is the case, the ABS light comes on. So yes, you can lock up the wheels when at very low speeds and ABS will not come on to rectify it.
Old 29-06-11, 12:03 PM   #5
my_galaxy

thanks guys.

clutch- YOU guys are correct. It might be the kick stand. However, still when i put the first gear I hear one or two grinds then it goes to the gear, but if I roll the bike a little forward then first gear kicks in smooth. Does that mean the clutch needs adjustment. or is there an adjustment for kick stand switch as well. I adjusted the cable to the max, there is no play at all.

Abs- i think it must be calibration as well.

Radiator fan switch- guys do you know at which temprature rad fan switches on?

thanks for your help
things start rolling again...
jag