SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 30-06-11, 04:23 PM   #11
Hyweldrums

Default Re: Welsh motorists taking revenge on scameras

The numbers speak for themselves; these cameras DO NOT decrease the number/severity of collisions on our roads... that is a fact. If you have a contradictory opinion, I suggest you look at the statistics a little more closely.

If after reading the numbers, you still have the same thoughts on the matter... well you must be a Daily Mail reader, in which case, all hope is lost

I personally wouldn’t destroy a camera, but I do feel a twinge of delight when I see one lying on it’s side covered in paint.
Old 30-06-11, 04:48 PM   #12
MisterTommyH

There are several roads round here where there is just camera after camera after camera.

I think there are 13 on the A34 between Cannock and Walsall (google map it. It's not very far)

People just speed up between the camera's and then brake at the last possible moment.

All these cameras do it ensure that the majority of motorists will be doing approximatly the speed limit for the 20 yards that there are lines on the road. And ensure that a good percentage of them will have braked heavily before hand, risking a collision.

Last edited by MisterTommyH; 30-06-11 at 04:49 PM.
MisterTommyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-11, 05:45 PM   #13
metalangel

Oh man, visited a friend in Cannock recently and accidentally got GPS'd onto that road, it's just camera after camera. Not knowing the area I took it easy and sure enough people were right up my chuff the entire way because they wanted to punch it between each camera.
Old 30-06-11, 09:03 PM   #14
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore, GoSafe partnership manager

The irresponsible people involved should realise the cameras are put in place to protect road users and to save lives.

"Any cameras that are damaged or vandalised will incur an unnecessary financial cost to repair the camera and could result in a fatal or seriously injured road user, as cameras are only placed where somebody has been killed or seriously injured.

"There is a simple message - cameras are in place to save lives, not to make money.
Not often you get the change to post exactly the same thing twice in one evening

the guy is a 'er and a
Old 30-06-11, 09:04 PM   #15
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

I might do the catering cling film trick

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-11, 10:08 PM   #16
Lozzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny.boyd View Post
Correct me if i'm wrong but is it not our taxes paying for these cameras to be replaced??

Why then are people so content on destroying them ultimately costing the government (our pockets) more!!

As said in the first article the cameras are put there to save lives, not make money.. Are some people so simple that they don't realise that... okay yes once in a while we may be caught going a little bit too fast past one and curse them, but that event then causes you as an individual to pay attention to the roads and actually follow the speed limits for fear of getting caught again....
How do you manage to ride a motorcycle with your head shoved so far up your own ar5e?

I'd suggest you take a good look at statistics detailing the number of KSIs on roads with cameras before and after they were installed. Then look at the revenue generated from said cameras and then decide if they are a money-maker or a life-saver.

Just about every camera installed on Bedfordshire's roads are on sections of road where there has never been a serious accident or a death, they are installed in areas where it is known that cars speed and where it would be easy to catch them. The rules governing the installations were carried out to the letter, with the bare minimum of in-sight viewing allowed on the approach - most of them are just round gentle bends where they are out of sight as you approach and through the bend, but as you enter the straight bit you have 50 metres in which to see the camera and slow down to an appropriate speed. All of them are on roads where, to be perfectly honest and frank, you can quite safely do in excess of 80 - 90 mph. Some of the roads they are on have been downgraded to 50mph, again for no safety reason at all, purely to generate more revenue.

Luckily, all Bedfordshire's cameras bar a couple are the front facing ones, so I simply ignore them every time I pass through them unless I use them every day at the same time... which thankfully isn't a situation I am now in.
Old 02-07-11, 10:32 PM   #17
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Seems Captain Gatso has emigrated to Wales.
He used to be very active in the London area.
Old 03-07-11, 02:00 AM   #18
matt_rehm_hext

Money, money, money. That's all they are there for.