SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 19-10-11, 10:13 PM   #1
kiggles

Default time to take the bike off the road onto a track?

recently I have been thinking about how dangerous the roads really are. I have only had my licence for two years and i have seen enough to consider only using the bike on a track once i have done my car test. I love riding my sv650 and my lovely cbr600rr (which i have wanted since a kid).

but over the weekend going out for a slow leisurely rides, (being speed limit) enjoying the sun before it gets cold and horrible. I have almost been knocked off 3 times for NOT being aggressive on the accelerator. (although still having a dominate position on the road).

Although in every situation if i was to have speed up all three situations probably wont have happened, but i shouldn't need to go fast to be safe on a bike. I love going fast on my bike (who doesn't). but cbr600rr isnt for the road, and starting to feel the same way about the sv650.

I have done police think bike course and currently waiting for my IAM test date so i am doing everything i can to stay safe. But although training has helped, with 2 years and no acccidents ('touch wood' *touchs head*), i have that sinking feeling all of a sudden and think about it everyday.

its not just about being valuable on the road being on a bike, but its the justice system that follows. if a driver kills me he can basically get away with it, or face a small amount of time in prison. Or hit and run happens and i get hurt and suffer alot, loss money, limbs and maybe future aspects. (although this entire paragraph is what i have accepted when i first took up biking).

maybe i should take the bikes off the road and have my bike time on a track?

does any one else often feel this way? or is it just me being paranoid and over cautious?
Old 19-10-11, 10:19 PM   #2
The Idle Biker

Default Re: time to take the bike off the road onto a track?

Whaaat? You're worried about being killed then the consequent justice system. I worry about the risk every time I ride. But I ride without anymore hesitation. If the fear factor outweighs the fun factor, give it up.
Old 19-10-11, 10:21 PM   #3
kiggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Idle Biker View Post
If the fear factor outweighs the fun factor, give it up.
good point. i guess driving is dull
Old 19-10-11, 10:21 PM   #4
DJ123
Mega Poster

bike or car it doesn't matter, the idiots will still make the same mistake and cause a crash. on the bike you are a lot more aware and are a lot more cautious of that risk. lets face it, we all have bikes and love them for that reason, the excitement, risk and the thrill. The training will help you on day to day life, however it is still down to you everyday, corner, junction, and roundabout to use your 6th sense to predict what the idiot in the box is going to do next. Keep the bikes on the road end enjoy them for what they are. I do get days of being paranoid, however i soon get over it and remember why i have a bike and what i enjoy about it. you cannot give up something you enjoy because of the actions of others. i will bet that you have had far more fun on your bike than all the near misses.
You can only control yourself and your bike, the others on the road are out of your control. Accept that you can't change them and enjoy life on 2 wheels!!!!

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-11, 10:30 PM   #5
The Idle Biker

Before you make a final decision go on the track. IT'S BRILLIANT!! Just try it. There will be somone faster and slower but no one can experience your fun. Go for it. It will change your riding on the road too. If you are like me, when it comes to the road you ride safer knowing you have a track day coming up. Good luck.
Old 19-10-11, 10:42 PM   #6
Stenno

I have the same thoughts at times. Albeit I've tried killing myself a couple of times on the bike, so I booked up BikeSafe in a fortnight and plan on doing the IAM skills for life package.

As for the track, it's awesome fun. However on my second trip last week I highsided haha almost fixed her up now.
Old 20-10-11, 01:37 AM   #7
BanannaMan

Find better roads.
The blokes I know who ride the track have more crashes, more broken bones, and spend way more on tyres and bits for the bike. But yes, less fatalities.
Each to his own though. If you're the competitive sort you'll love the track, it's a real blast to be able to go as fast as you like but personally after a few laps of speed I tend to soon find it boring.
I'd much rather be riding out in the countryside, the scenery, road conditions and hazzards, the stops along the way. Riding somewhere I've never been, enjoying the company of my riding mates. All of that is more of why I ride.
If you're enjoying going slow, I'm not sure you'll enjoy the track but do a track day then decide.

However... as mentioned...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Idle Biker View Post
If the fear factor outweighs the fun factor, give it up.

"The Mountains are calling and I must go"

BanannaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-11, 06:52 AM   #8
Mr Speirs
Mega Poster

I've just sold my road bike which leaves me with just my track bike. Made the decision after not doing enough miles on the road and even when out and about I had no desire to go far and be adventurous like I used to.

There is a possibility that the bike was to blame but I have had way too much fun on track this year, not just the riding but the going away overnight and banter in the paddock. Its the same feeling of enjoyment that I got from luckypants NW rideouts.

The other reason is I used to ride with petenlissa all the time and they were a huge motivational force when it came to riding. Had some of the best times with those guys and riding really hasn't been the same since pete had to give up. Haven't had the same motivation since.

But anyway I'm happy with my decision. It'll save me an awful lot of money and if I do feel the pull of road riding again I can always buy another bike.
Smokey Black Burnty 02 - Racetech Smoulderlators + .90kg BBQ Springs, zx10r shockingly toasted, Conti Road Attacks heat up very nicely, R&G Crash Bungs but what f**king use are they, No Colour Matched Hugger, Flame Extenda, Beowulf Titainium Oval Flame Thrower.
Mr Speirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-11, 08:28 AM   #9
Owenski

Pass your car test, drive a car for a day and you'll be begging to get back on the bike.

I get the "are they all trying to kill me" days, A bloody tree tried to kill me on my way home on Monday that was in the rain and high winds, used the car tuesday and by the time I'd gotten home I was on my knees begging for my bike to take me back and forgive my desertion and fixed it straight up to use again yesterday.

I think you know that if you're fearful of riding then you shouldnt be doing it, but dont confuse fear with awareness. Nothing wrong with been aware of the danger around you, thats the difference between a near miss and a crash - awareness.
Old 20-10-11, 11:14 AM   #10
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggles View Post
I have almost been knocked off 3 times for NOT being aggressive on the accelerator. (although still having a dominate position on the road).
So why did you put yourself in that position the last 2 times then?

Track riding is fun and expensive. Road riding is cheap, convenient, fun transport. Both are equally dangerous.