SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-09-06, 09:54 AM   #1
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

Default Coil mod

I, because i feal like it and also like fiddling have been thinking about changing the coils on the SV to the newer modern coilpack "candlestick" type.

Now anyone done this mod? Whats the possable implications on the SV engine?

I dont expect it to make any diffrence, but if it does then hey people may follow.

If anyone has a standard SV spark plug cap to hand, can you please measure it from base to top. Thanks.
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-06, 10:00 AM   #2
svrash

What benefits do you get doing this?

Its 11cm to the angle or 14cm end to end
Old 04-09-06, 12:21 PM   #3
jambo
Mega Poster

The rear would be fine, but the top of that cap would be right in the firing line for water off the front wheel. Not sure it would be of any benefit to the bike anyway

That said if you want any measurements off the all-in-one coils let me know as the kwak has them and is due a service in a couple of weeks.
Old 04-09-06, 01:04 PM   #4
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo
The rear would be fine, but the top of that cap would be right in the firing line for water off the front wheel. Not sure it would be of any benefit to the bike anyway

That said if you want any measurements off the all-in-one coils let me know as the kwak has them and is due a service in a couple of weeks.
If ive not done it by then, please give me the size, i think there are diffrent sizes though.

The water getting in the contacts on the front cylinder wont be a problem as i will be soldering wires directly to the pins and then filling the socket up with some epoxy. The plug is not on the SV loom and guessing Suzuki its not possable to buy seperatly.
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Old 04-09-06, 01:07 PM   #5
northwind
Mega Poster

Yeah, that should work. But I'd be surprised if you see a benefit, SV has good burn and spark as standard... Interesting to see how it works out though, never heard of anyone doing it for these before.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-06, 01:10 PM   #6
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind
Yeah, that should work. But I'd be surprised if you see a benefit, SV has good burn and spark as standard... Interesting to see how it works out though, never heard of anyone doing it for these before.
Exactly, its not been done before. People have asked about what mods to coils peeps have done on SVrider but there has never realy been a reply.

I will be saving some weight though on my already lightened bike

Old 04-09-06, 05:22 PM   #7
svrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM
I will be saving some weight though on my already lightened bike
About 8oz
Old 04-09-06, 09:25 PM   #8
empty

the ones from a zx6r j1/2 are probably a similar diameter to the SV, certainly you can use an SV plug socket to extract a zx6r spark plug, however I think they might be a bit long. If I've got any time in the next few days when sorting out the fuel pump on the kwak I'll give one a try.

MT
Old 04-09-06, 09:40 PM   #9
valleyboy

They are effing expensive!

£85 each expensive to be exact...

trust me.. I bought a replacement thinking it would solve some problems I had on my Kwak.. turns out it wasnt the stick coils.... but at least I found out how expensive some parts are! though, if you know the right people, you can get them far cheaper than that... I ended up paying £60.. just because the owner of the garage was there and he took pitty on me....
Old 04-09-06, 10:33 PM   #10
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyboy
They are effing expensive!

£85 each expensive to be exact...

trust me.. I bought a replacement thinking it would solve some problems I had on my Kwak.. turns out it wasnt the stick coils.... but at least I found out how expensive some parts are! though, if you know the right people, you can get them far cheaper than that... I ended up paying £60.. just because the owner of the garage was there and he took pitty on me....
Thats because you bought new, but SRAD GSXRs have had them and all GSXRs since, you can pickup a set of 4 off ebay for as little as £15.