SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-08-07, 08:14 PM   #1
jimmy4237

Default Should I expect an NIP??

My dad borrowed my car at the weekend to go and see his mate. He said he set off a grey gatso camera but he was approaching the camera (Camera on right hand side of the road, he was on the left.)

The camera flashed the front of my car, so does this mean the NIP is still valid, or invalid? I though the gatso cameras could only do you if they get a photo of the rear of the vehicle. They count the lines from the lens onwards, not the lines going back to the lens, correct??

50 in a 40..... dad will never learn.....
Old 13-08-07, 10:36 PM   #2
Dan

Default Re: Should I expect an NIP??

You'll probably be fine. AFAIK the Gatso isn't yet type approved for forward facing using in this country, although it CAN operate in that orientation.
Old 13-08-07, 10:48 PM   #3
SV225

Grey? I thought they had to be yellow. Are grey ones different types to yellow ones?
Old 13-08-07, 11:09 PM   #4
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV225 View Post
Grey? I thought they had to be yellow. Are grey ones different types to yellow ones?
They only have to be hi-visibility from the rear, cunningly enough.
Old 14-08-07, 08:45 AM   #5
arenalife

If it was a Gatso, it needs those white calibration marks in the road as they can't prove it without them. They're not usually in the oncoming lane even though it sets the camera off. If it was a Truvelo (smaller squarish camera, blue tinted lens, one white line on road) they do work on oncoming traffic.
Old 14-08-07, 11:00 AM   #6
Steve_God
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRCSixtyThree View Post
They only have to be hi-visibility from the rear, cunningly enough.
Also one's put up before a certain date (can't remember when) were except from the hi-visibility... one particular road between Sheffield and Nottingham (A616 maybe?) has dark GREEN speed cameras all the way through the village, quite a few right behind trees...
SV650s; K6; Metallic Euclase Silver; Fully Faired; Renegade Twin Exhaust Full System (Stubbied); Full ECU Remap; Fabri Tinted DB Screen; Hamicad Fender Eliminater; Bagster Seat/Suzuki Gel Seat; Fenda Extenda; HEL Braided Brake Hoses; R&G Crash Bungs; GSXR Front-end, Triumph Daytona 675 Front Brake Master Cylinder; RedFox Rear Hugger; BMC F.1 Air Filter; Top Box!
Coastal Tours:Great Britain (for Cancer Research) - 3588.2 miles: Completed July 2007. Ireland - 1466 miles: Completed for July 2008
Steve_God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-07, 11:35 AM   #7
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by arenalife View Post
If it was a Gatso, it needs those white calibration marks in the road as they can't prove it without them. They're not usually in the oncoming lane even though it sets the camera off. If it was a Truvelo (smaller squarish camera, blue tinted lens, one white line on road) they do work on oncoming traffic.
Even if they're there, I think you'll find they're designed to be used against people passing the camera on the wrong carriageway, rather than those approaching from the front.

IIRC, it's something to do with the fact that the Gatso hasn't been DTI approved for forward facing use (because of the flash and doppler error or something).
Old 14-08-07, 11:44 AM   #8
John Burt

That and the fact it makes you blind at night if you set them off whilst travelling towards them!
Old 14-08-07, 11:53 AM   #9
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Burt View Post
That and the fact it makes you blind at night if you set them off whilst travelling towards them!
So the object of the exercise is not to set them off then
Old 14-08-07, 12:12 PM   #10
Bear

Always wait and see if one arrives. I've been legitimately flashed a few times and never heard anything about it. In this instance, I reckon you've got a better than average chance of not recieving anything.