SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-09-06, 09:33 PM   #1
Ed

Default What is the learning of the org on this, please?

Is it dangerous to overtake on a roundabout?

Picture - inner by pass, it's a 'normal' road, not dual carriageway. There are roundabouts every so often, they tend to be fairly wide with two lanes. Wide grass verges with quite a bit of tree cover - doesn't restrict visibility. Road is a NSL, good visibility onto the roundabouts, good surface - shellgrip - can approach fast and lean the bike hard over.

If the roundabout is clear I apex it, being careful to check nearside and indicate at the exit before the one I want to take - which as I'm going straight on is always the 2nd exit, so indicate just past the 1st exit, then shoulder check etc.

Usually if the roundabout is not clear I will take the inside lane and follow the cars around and then see if I can get past further down.

But sometimes if there's a particularly slow car on the inside lane, I overtake it on the roundabout, being as sure as I can that the driver isn't in the wrong lane and really intends to turn right. I did it on the way home this evening and got flashing angry lights and horns. I didn't get that close, he was some way behind when I pulled in to turn off. Done it a few times now and I don't see anything wrong with it but car drivers (and a bus driver) don't seem to appreciate it. I can't see that I've forced a change of direction, brake, etc - so why??

Is it a dangerous manoover and would plod see it as careless/dangerous driving?
Old 13-09-06, 09:44 PM   #2
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Sounds like something I would always do.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-06, 09:48 PM   #3
jim@55

ithink ,as youre prob cutting across lanes (left hand approach kerb/r/bout /exit kerb,is that right?)its ****ing them off (a)cos youre making 'progress'and (b)cos youre on a bike and theyr all knobs it doesnt sound dangerous but might have a chat with u reg lane disipline i.e not staying in the correct lane and all that ,sounds ok to me ,its what i do when i can see whats happening ,i would say 'carry on'
Old 13-09-06, 10:09 PM   #4
chazzyb

Heck, from your description, I'd probably have done it in the car too. I haven't checked, but I'm sure the Highway Code shows using either inside or outside lanes at a roundabout when going straight across.

You do get people who always do this to overtakers; both when being overtaken and when approaching in the opposite direction. I'm never sure why. I don't cut in sharply (generally).
Old 13-09-06, 10:32 PM   #5
Warren

i was taught by my iam instructor to use roundabouts to overtake, as cars generally slow right down having less visibility than bikes due to being lower, having slower acceleration out of the roundabout, and having to take a slow line through the roundabout.

i do it all the time BTW, just gotta make sure that if you are doing it, that you can be sure that the car driver wont suddenly alter his course on the roundabout.
Old 13-09-06, 11:16 PM   #6
stuartyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
i was taught by my iam instructor to use roundabouts to overtake,..... just gotta make sure that if you are doing it, that you can be sure that the car driver wont suddenly alter his course on the roundabout.
Please do tell...how do you make sure a driver wont suddenly alter his course? Is this some kind of ESP they teach at IAM courses?

I was told at Bikesafe never to "switch lanes" on a roundabout as you are effectively overtaking a vehicle performing a "turning manouvre". Faster vehicles could clip you from behind and the vehicle on the inside could swerve suddenly into your path.
Old 13-09-06, 11:21 PM   #7
Razor

I overtake on roundabouts, in the cage and on the bike. Ignore people who flash lights at you, they need to concentrate on thier own driving and stop worrying about that of others. As to whether it's legal, dunno...
Old 13-09-06, 11:35 PM   #8
northwind
Mega Poster

My guilty pleasure is overtaking on the inside lane on roundabouts when I probably shouldn't. But, as guilty pleasures go it's safe. I think there's no right or wrong for this, all you can do is judge each incident as it comes- I don't think you can say "It's safe" or "It's not"
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-06, 12:16 AM   #9
stuartyboy

I don't think the government or police would say its safe.

There's a government DVD out that lists overtaking on roundabouts as one of the top 10 causes of accidents in the UK. Forgot what its called but it was made by the Highways agency and Police accident investigators.

I've worked with tayside police on DVD projects like this so I'll try and get a copy tomorrow and ask about the offence status. I'm almost certain its illegal.

EDIT: Just found this from ROSPA & IAM

Where not to overtake

# Extended-junctions

# on roundabouts

# alongside petrol stations

# double white-line systems and,

# between lines of traffic going in opposite directions, (if the space is limited).
Old 14-09-06, 07:17 AM   #10
Mogs

My IAM instructor has said you don't overtake on roundabouts, but repeatedly pointed out that they require the most amount of forward planning. On approach to it, take the path of least resistance selecting your lane of entry at about 150 yds, as you approach closer do not swap lanes. On exit if there are two lanes (there often is) select the outer, and whack the power on, passing the slower accelerating cars easy.

Ed. you've passed the IAM test. This just shows that the advise given difffers greatly between instructors - ask him, his reply would be interesting.