SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-08-11, 11:14 AM   #11
DJ123
Mega Poster

Default Re: Two huge tankslappers in 2 days????

have you got any pictures of the suspension of how it currently is?
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-11, 12:01 PM   #12
vardypeeps

I'm not a suspension pro but I had the same problem with my Curvy SV and it was due to broken fluid seals on the forks.
Old 01-08-11, 12:10 PM   #13
TazDaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulKiss View Post
You mean the thick poles - about 2 inches across?

If so thats the forks - and if they were up that high sounds like a previious owner was quite short - probably also had the dogbones (rear-shock linkages) changed to lower the bike.

If you go stock at one end and changed at the other you are going to have problems like you say.

Put the forks back as they were for now and get someone who knows what they are talking about to look the bike over and check to see if my theory is right.
?!?!?

I think he means the preload adjusters. How do you wind a fork through the top yoke?
Old 01-08-11, 12:28 PM   #14
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_rossi_46 View Post
i recently adjusted the suspension myself to extend the forks
Quote:
i just adjusted the parts of the suspension that were sticking up either side of the ignition. i wound them down a bit as they were sticking up a good inch or two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TazDaz View Post
?!?!?

I think he means the preload adjusters. How do you wind a fork through the top yoke?
You undo the pinch bolts and they slide.

I am very confused as to what he has done - adjusters are half an inch travel max - yet he says they were sticking up an inch or two - also it doesnt "extend the forks".

I just related a situation where by altering the bikes geometry would give the situations he has experienced.

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-11, 12:46 PM   #15
Winder

If you adjusted the preload on top of the forks make sure they are both at the same setting. I recently put new seals in my forks and the oil that came out was horrible. Maybe it's time to give them a once over, plenty of advice and tips on here of how to do it.
Old 01-08-11, 12:58 PM   #16
Mr Speirs
Mega Poster

If you are over 9 stone and you haven't already done so wind your rear preload onto the stiffist setting (tab 7 I believe). The wobbles are more than likely being caused by the front tyre unloading and the rear squatting then the front struggling to regain enough traction to put a proper contact patch on the tarmac.
Stiffening the rear will stop the rear squatting too much and should help with your problem.

A zx10r rear shock and stiffer front springs would solve your problems.
Smokey Black Burnty 02 - Racetech Smoulderlators + .90kg BBQ Springs, zx10r shockingly toasted, Conti Road Attacks heat up very nicely, R&G Crash Bungs but what f**king use are they, No Colour Matched Hugger, Flame Extenda, Beowulf Titainium Oval Flame Thrower.
Mr Speirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-11, 07:26 PM   #17
rob_rossi_46

it is the preloads that i am adjusting. what difference does this make to the bike? they do wind up quite high actually, a good 2 inches. 7 tabs as mentioned.
i am 5 ft 7" and weigh 9.5 stone. how should i have them set up. i have never had such bad wobbles before.
Old 01-08-11, 07:32 PM   #18
beabert

To give you an idea, 6mm is the standard amount they poke out.
Old 01-08-11, 07:39 PM   #19
dazbo

Quote:
it is the preloads that i am adjusting. what difference does this make to the bike? they do wind up quite high actually, a good 2 inches. 7 tabs as mentioned.
i am 5 ft 7" and weigh 9.5 stone. how should i have them set up. i have never had such bad wobbles before.
Mate, if you are asking questions like that leave the settings the f*** alone! Find a local dealer/garage that offers a suspension service and get them to sort it. Prices start in the region of £40 for a basic set up which is well below what you might expect to pay for a steering damper you don't need!
dazbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-11, 07:43 PM   #20
rob_rossi_46

fair enough. i was just testing out some new combinations.