SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Riding Gear Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 09-07-09, 05:49 PM   #1
Bri w

Default Just what gear is the good stuff?

I've just been up to Westgate road in Newcastle where there is a good selection of bike shops, and bike gear shops all within easy walking distance. Whippee, kid in a candy shop time! I'd done me research. Read the reviews, and the threads on the .org.

First shop.

I knew what helmet i wanted, i tried it elsewhere at silly price, Arai Chaser Samurai. "Oooohhh, you don't want to buy one of those they're........."

I knew what jacket i wanted, needs to be long to cover the wok i'm smuggling. Fancied a Spada. "Ooohhh, you'd be better off getting..............."

I knew what gloves, A*s....... I knew what boots, Sidi Streetburner....... They had the boots but not in my size, 11. You guessed it, "Oooohhh, you'd be better of with.........."

Trousers; i wasn't sure about but, shock , the guy went into er um mode and couldn't suggest much of anything.

I walked out with £800 still in my pocket , steaming gently.

Is there anything wrong with Arai, Spada, A*, and can you recommend a decent pair of textile trousers - big belly, short legs.

Currently - Fighting the urge... seen a nice Triumph America

Previously - Honda CB125, Honda CB400-4 & BSA B40, Moto Guzzi 850, Yamaha RD250, Suzuki GT380, Kawasaki Z1B, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VFR, Triumph Street Triple R.
Bri w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-09, 06:01 PM   #2
JediGoat

Default Re: Just what gear is the good stuff?

Richa Monsoon Mens Short leg are excellent trousers, and a good size range (about £120ish). I sell the women's ones and (having worn richa textiles myself) they are excellent. If you can;t locate a dealer in your area, pm me, and I'll find the nearest one to you.

Don't be swayed away from the lid if it fits you well, and don't be rushed to buy it.

Spada are mainly entry level textiles, but I've not had any brought back to me with waterproof issues.

Alpinestars gloves are very good. The womans ones tend to be shortish in the fingers (no idea about the mens ones).

HTH

Jo
JediGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-09, 06:01 PM   #3
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

Was the guy a salesman in the shop or did he slip you a card for his website where he can sell you stuff?

Why he would put a customer off spending their money i dont undersatnd.

But jeez you ask a tough question. I think you'll get more responses about rubbish kit peeps have bough and warn you away from them.

My only advice is if you ride all year round then only go for items with Goretex in em. Gortex guarantee the waterproofness of their items for 5yrs and if it leaks in that time they will either repair it or replace it at their own expense. So even if it costs a little more in the beggining its better in the long term for me.

Brands like Hallvarrsons (sp?) and Rukka always get good reviews as do Daytona boots.
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-09, 06:51 PM   #4
arcdef

Try the Hein Gericke stuff, it seems very well made and most labels are pretty clear over the features the item has. Oh and they come with a guarantee!
Old 09-07-09, 09:22 PM   #5
Mgaffz

Try hein geriche at the bottom near the car parks mate they are top lads in there and the products seem good if you can find your size.

I struggled to find leather pants on wackyhill and ended up with Richa ones which i am over the moon with.

If Arai lids fit your bonce just buy one i have just bought a chaser from hein geriche and its the best lid i have ever used and its the best out of the dozen or so i tried on, up to you if you go and check what size you are in the shop then save loads of cash by buying on the net i bought mine at HG as i thought aftercare etc would be much less hassle than sending helmets back through post etc.

I also use A* SP2's and they are awesome gloves no complaints at all, i have also just bought some short Richa summer gloves which were only 40 quid and again i really like them, protection seems ample and they have loads of feel though palms etc. Kawasaki newcastle on scotswood roads stock Richa stuff and also Sidi boots if it helps.

In my opinion and it is just my opinion i did'nt care for the stuff they were sellin in proto at the top of the hill the salesmen were really pushy (i could'nt get my jeans back on in changing room for the bloke throwing random leathers over the door some of which were nowt like what i had asked for lol) and there did'nt seem to be many labels etc on the Rev-It stuff niether but that was just a casual observation.

Hope some of this helps anyway lol

mick
Old 10-07-09, 07:04 AM   #6
Bri w

Cheers guys - i've cooled off, rant over.

And i didn't even mention Proto at the top of the hill. I guess i got the same Sales guy.

Bri

Currently - Fighting the urge... seen a nice Triumph America

Previously - Honda CB125, Honda CB400-4 & BSA B40, Moto Guzzi 850, Yamaha RD250, Suzuki GT380, Kawasaki Z1B, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VFR, Triumph Street Triple R.
Bri w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-09, 07:51 AM   #7
Viney
Mega Poster

I would say you get what you pay for, but this reallyd oenst seem right for motorcycle clothing. There is nothing worng with any of the brands that you mention. With lids, its not the brand but the fit. You really need to try all the makes on to get the correct fit for you. You migth think that a Shoei fits, but then you try a different brand and you find that fits you better. Nothing wrong with Arai though at all. My last 2 lids have been Arai.

Textiles, well Rukka seem to be the best out there but its darn expensive. You could spend you £800 on a jacket alone if you desire. Fran thomas used to be good until they started getting made in China and the quality wetn down hill.

Allsaid an done, i have found Hein Gericke stuff good value for money over the years, and would recomend them highly. On the textile front, if you can afford it but Goretex stuff. Yes its a name, and i know some people that dont believe the hype, but my old Sidi boots leaked after about 18months and my A* Goretex boots are still dry after 3 years!
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-09, 07:56 AM   #8
Dave20046
Mega Poster

ignore sales assistance they try to sell you whatever they make the biggest margin on. (at most places). Before buying your lid lookup how to make sure it fits properly. Heingericke do decent clothing. As viney says if you can afford goretex - get it! go to www.4theride.co.uk (I think) and look what deals hein gericke are doing, then use one of the deals against their goretex textiles (im looking at a pair of trousers for about £190, doubt I'll be able to part with that much cash though ).

Last edited by Dave20046; 10-07-09 at 07:58 AM.
Dave20046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-09, 10:24 PM   #9
Lego

I agree with Viney you should buy what fits you best... And dont ignore all sales assistants as some out there are good guys/girls.

From my experience spada clothing seem to be a good make... Saved me earlier this year (texts though, not sure if you want leathers?)
I just bought the same make spada trousers in a local store for £50, I know the price is low but like I said (with great embarrassment) I've tested them...

But its down to style and what you can afford at the end of the day, hope you get the gear you desire... When I got mine for the first time I don't think I spent over £250, £300 at the most. So you have loads of dosh to play with to get tidy stuff
Old 26-07-09, 07:14 PM   #10
MrMoonface

Hein Gericke stuff is IMO really good value and the staff always seem to have your best interests at heart rather than margin...the guy in Leeds is spot on and even talked me out of spending too much on stuff i didn't need so i could afford to buy a more of the stuff I did! It might be a little pricey but the own brand stuff always seems to clear up in magazine reviews! My Jacket and trousers are spot on, have worn well and still do the job!