SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Closed Thread

Old 23-09-09, 01:10 PM   #21
-Ralph-

Default Re: The site's U rating

Quote:
Originally Posted by anna View Post
I would say that the graffic images are no worse then in the thread "always wear your frickin leathers" and I dont see a fuss over the graffic content in that thread.
And that's an old thread, been there a long time, they are pretty uncomfortable to look at IIRC, but I found the fingers more uncomfortable because fresh blood and severed body parts.

I guess we are not really U rated then.

Like I said, the point of starting the thread was to avoid derail on the other one, not because I'm particularly bothered whether we allow it or not, my son is only two and when he is old enough to surf the web, I'll be blacklisting this site on his parental filter, I don't want him reading everything his Daddy types anyway. Simples...

Old 23-09-09, 01:10 PM   #22
hindle8907
Mega Poster

i aggree with hovis i have seen some vidoes in IB off you tube that are really horrid !! people cuting into cisit and the squising all the puss out of it ewwww./... and other things that i just cant rember .

but the thread about the chain lube is no diffrent from Allways ware ya freckin leathers thread. both got graphic images and both are there for all of us to benfit from .
2010-Now -- 00 SV650s & 00 SV650n & GSXR 600 K2
Old 23-09-09, 01:11 PM   #23
hindle8907
Mega Poster

lol must of posted at the same time sorry for the repeat
Old 23-09-09, 01:13 PM   #24
hindle8907
Mega Poster

i think we should make the org PG !
Old 23-09-09, 01:13 PM   #25
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lone_wolf View Post
Too much hassle holding down the windows key and hitting L before leaving the computer alone with your eight year old nearby?
My wife wouldn't know what "locking your workstation" was, never mind how to do it, and since most home computers are set to log in a user automatically and go straight to the desktop, if people were to lock it, they wouldn't know the password to unlock it again as they haven't used it since the day they took the machine out of the box. To say that you have to lock your workstation at home, just isn't in the real world IMO.

Last edited by -Ralph-; 23-09-09 at 01:15 PM.

Old 23-09-09, 01:18 PM   #26
suzsv650

Quote:
Too much hassle holding down the windows key and hitting L before leaving the computer alone with your eight year old nearby?
Or to make a Limited account for the Kids with parental control, Job done!

Old 23-09-09, 01:18 PM   #27
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hindle8907 View Post
i aggree with hovis i have seen some vidoes in IB off you tube that are really horrid !! people cuting into cisit and the squising all the puss out of it ewwww./... and other things that i just cant rember .
The difference with those is that they are hosted elsewhere. It's still up to the mods on here to decide if they want to allow the link, but the difference is you tube, photobucket, etc will be blocked on most web filters, be they parental or work 'cos the web filter database knows it can't rate the content.

Old 23-09-09, 01:19 PM   #28
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ralph- View Post
My wife wouldn't know what "locking your workstation" was, never mind how to do it, and since most home computers are set to log in a user automatically and go straight to the desktop, if people were to lock it, they wouldn't know the password to unlock it again as they haven't used it since the day they took the machine out of the box. Say that you have to lock your workstation at home, just isn't in the real world IMO.
Presumably you may have done things like put gates on your stairs to stop your lad going skiing, plastic blanks in the plugs to stop him electrocuting himself, you don't leave pots / pans on the edge of the stove...

Setting a password so that they can't access the computer without you saying seems like hardly any inconvenience, especially given how concerned you appear to be that he's going to be harmed by something he might find online
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
Old 23-09-09, 01:23 PM   #29
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzsv650 View Post
Or to make a Limited account for the Kids with parental control, Job done!
Separate user accounts also don't stop a kid jumping on your account while your out of the room making a coffee.

Separate account is exactly what I will do when my boy is old enough, but that's easy for me to say as an IT guy, my sister and brother in law with a 4 and 6 year old wouldn't have a clue where to start setting up different user accounts on their PC, they have chosen only to allow internet access when directly supervised, and in the next couple of years when the older one starts using it for school, they'll need somebody like me to go and set it up for them.

Old 23-09-09, 01:27 PM   #30
-Ralph-

Quote:
Presumably you may have done things like put gates on your stairs to stop your lad going skiing, plastic blanks in the plugs to stop him electrocuting himself, you don't leave pots / pans on the edge of the stove...

Setting a password so that they can't access the computer without you saying seems like hardly any inconvenience, especially given how concerned you appear to be that he's going to be harmed by something he might find online
See above post, my sister has done all the things you suggest, but any parent can fit a stair gate, she needs someone like me to sort out the user accounts/passwords. Since I moved down from Scotland I've already has one relative up there have to take the PC to a repair shop to get her internet access working again, I was the ONLY person she knew that could help her, lots of people don't know anybody.

You are not being "real world" here guys, computers are a mystery to most people, and many, many parents simply don't allow internet access for the kids 'cos they don't know how to control it. Once they have to allow it for school, they get all worried about it.

What certainly doesn't help is questionable content on a site that is supposed to be U rated, how can parents possibly win the game if they are playing to a set of moving goalposts.

Last edited by -Ralph-; 23-09-09 at 01:31 PM.

Closed Thread