SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 08-09-11, 08:08 PM   #1
muzikill
Mega Poster

Default Bent handlebar

After my left side drop ive been freaking out round corners, now partly its just me getting back on the bike, but the bike aint handling right. The forks are fine ive checked and re-checked them, but ive noticed that the wheel seems to go off to the right once i go out a mile down the road.

I think its now obvious that the left handlebar (clutch lever side?) has bent itself in with the weight of the bike dropping on it (its hard to notice but ive read this is sometimes hard to see). And my arms natural tendency to keep the bike straight isnt working. In effect my left arm is pushing it away more to the right when i get to that relaxed mode, so with arms not being equally straight then my shoulders arent straight then my body weight isnt balanced etc... Also this will be affecting the way i take corners as i will be over-exerting one way and under-exerting the other.

Pics to follow as i took some showing the steering at full lock either side and comparison with how close the handlebars get to the tank.

Ive done a bit of reading and im wary straightening them as the are only alum-cast

Ive noticed the following part but it says right bar (but it looks like a left to me)
http://www.svspares.com/items/227-1_...t-hand-650.htm

Looking obvious but im not sure if they are supposed to be equi-distant... If some kind soul would check on theirs i would be grateful
K3 Job c.v: Engine:remove/split/rebuild/refit. Replace:Gearbox,Fuel pump,Gaskets. Piston clean,rings. Overhaul:Throttle body,Injectors,Brakes,Forks. Remove/refit:Exhaust,Radiator,Oil cooler,Throttle,Air filter,Tank. Replace: Oil,Coolant,grease,brake hoses & bleed.

Last edited by muzikill; 08-09-11 at 08:24 PM.
muzikill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-11, 08:28 PM   #2
Electro

Default Re: Bent handlebar

Its not bent, it needs repositioning thats all.
Old 08-09-11, 08:34 PM   #3
oOTomOo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electro View Post
Its not bent, it needs repositioning thats all.
This ^ Slacken her off, spin her round a bit, tighten her up - job jobbed.
Old 08-09-11, 08:57 PM   #4
muzikill
Mega Poster

can this be done? the bars have a positioning pin that locates the bar under the yoke that stops you from doing this.
K3 Job c.v: Engine:remove/split/rebuild/refit. Replace:Gearbox,Fuel pump,Gaskets. Piston clean,rings. Overhaul:Throttle body,Injectors,Brakes,Forks. Remove/refit:Exhaust,Radiator,Oil cooler,Throttle,Air filter,Tank. Replace: Oil,Coolant,grease,brake hoses & bleed.
Old 08-09-11, 09:06 PM   #5
Electro

It was done on mine mate. I pointed it out to YC and he did it there and then. My left hand bar came closer tomy tank on left lock than the right and he just slackened it off, moved it round and retightened
Old 08-09-11, 09:41 PM   #6
LVC

Hey pal if you need a new one i got a pair sat in the garage doing naff all.

Joe
Old 08-09-11, 09:47 PM   #7
DJ123
Mega Poster

take off the grips and check the straightness of the bar with a ruler/straight edge. Check that the upright of the clip on (from the fork leg upwards) for straightness. Also measure the distance between the end of the bar and centre of the pre damp. Compare both sides and that should give you an indication as to if it is bent or not.
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-11, 09:47 PM   #8
muzikill
Mega Poster

yours a curvy? pointy has a location pin on the handlebar.

Im interested to know how he measured the distance to get it the same as the other side
Old 08-09-11, 09:47 PM   #9
Teejayexc

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzikill View Post
can this be done? the bars have a positioning pin that locates the bar under the yoke that stops you from doing this.

You can position 'em where you want.
Teejayexc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-11, 06:36 AM   #10
Electro

We looked at the gap on right lock and made the gap the same on left lock. Didnt measure anything, just by eye.