SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-06-12, 09:02 PM   #1
agy

Default Do you ride with fear?

I saw this thread title on another forum and was interested what the folk over here make of it...?
How do you feel when you hear stories of bones ground into tarmac, guts all over the place etc
For me the biggest fear if the worst was ever to happen would be the inability to use my body the way I do now. I absolutely love body building, cycling, mountaineering. I can't bear to think what life would be like if I couldn't do those things. At the same time, I cannot imagine a life without my motorbike. It would be like losing the love of my life.
My own reasoning is, although accidents are plenty, the very serious ones are rare and injuries often caused by lack of appropriate clothing. Then again even a low speed fall could crash my knee and mean I can never do a squat or a lunge for the rest of my life. I guess I don't think about it on a regular basis...
Old 18-06-12, 09:06 PM   #2
Stuuk1

There are always 'what if's'.

The worst always goes through my head when I'm out on the bike. It doesn't stop me though, if something happens then it happens, until then I'll enjoy every second!
Old 18-06-12, 09:07 PM   #3
Dicky Ticker

Default Re: Do you ride with fear?

No Fear----------------your not trying hard enough.
Old 18-06-12, 09:09 PM   #4
DJ123
Mega Poster

Nope, with caution. Building up my confidence up since my off last year. I ride for fun and enjoyment

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-12, 09:10 PM   #5
DJFridge

Stuuk's right, the "What if's" go through everybody's mind. I figure you need just enough fear to keep you sharp but not so much you pucker at every corner
Old 18-06-12, 09:16 PM   #6
dyzio
Mega Poster

First ride after a crash... that was fear

Accidents happen, all you can do is to have the correct gear and don't take (too many) stupid risks.

Do you get the same about having an accident on your bicycle or falling of a mountain?
dyzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-12, 09:26 PM   #7
agy

When I'm riding, I never really feel that something could happen. If anything I tend to be more scared parking my bike in awkward places and then thinking how the heck will I get it out now LOL (ie one of those- how to reverse my bike up the hill moments hahaha). It's only sometimes when I see a photo of an injury that I think, shoot... But seriously I don't think about it at all normally. I had a nasty skid a week ago which knocked my confidence but in the scheme of things it wasn't that serious. It just means I now have a ridiculous and irrational fear of every bump, pot hole, white line in the road.
I have been seriously hit on my bicycle but it hasn't affected me at all. Not sure why...
Old 18-06-12, 09:29 PM   #8
NTECUK
Mega Poster

No .
fear is a mind killer.
Caution is ok.
Assessing the risk and ridding appropriatly .
Any way fear never get a round in at the pub.so don't invite them on ride outs.
Old 18-06-12, 09:29 PM   #9
Bibio
Mega Poster

in one word no.

if you have a fear of being put in a wheelchair of dying etc.etc then don't go out the house and surround yourself with bubble wrap. you could die or get hurt other ways than on a bike.

i know i will more than likely die on a bike but if i do i will die happy. i would rather that than have someone wipe my arz and feed me threw old age.

unlike mr dodgy heart i do indeed try hard enough and fully expect to die every time i'm out on the bike so i have come to terms with it but don't think about it.

it's a risk every single biker takes every time they mount their bike. if you cant live with that risk then give up biking and take up knitting.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-12, 09:29 PM   #10
Spank86

If I'm not scared when I'm riding I'm probably half asleep and pretty soon a car driver will do something to wake me up.