SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-01-13, 12:06 PM   #1
acting_strange

Default ROSPA vs IAM?

What do people think?

I've actually had a really bad time with the IAM. Crap Instructor and covered up a valid complaint.

I would still like to do an advanced course as I feel it wuld be beneficial but am now wary.

I could still do my IAM test as I've paid for it but to be honest I wouldn't P*** on them now if they were on fire.

Useful comments would be nice )
Old 21-01-13, 12:17 PM   #2
BoltonSte
Mega Poster

Default Re: ROSPA vs IAM?

Try not to let it get to you, there are d***s in every walk of life.

You shouldn't let the experience with one observer put you off...if they are a half decent group, then a call to the course co-ordinator airing you grievences and saying you need to change observers. Should get you someone else in the group. Although they are all singing from the same book, you still get varied people skills...see above

Alternatively, head for another group and talk it through with them...maybe not all the details so it doesn't look like you are slagging off, but the issue you didn't gel and what problem you had that was the major bugbear (I'm assuming some of the advice you were given).

Anyway, RoSPA is always better (that's what they keep telling me) must be because it has Royal in the name

Last edited by BoltonSte; 21-01-13 at 12:19 PM.
BoltonSte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-13, 12:22 PM   #3
acting_strange

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltonSte View Post
Are there any other groups you could use?

You shouldn't let the experience with one observer...if they are a half decent group, then a call to the course co-ordinator airing you grievences and saying you need to change observers should get you someone else in the group. Although they are all singing from the same book, you still get varied people skills.

Alternatively, head for another and talk it through with them...maybe not all the details so it doesn't look like you are slagging off, but the issue you didn't gel and what problem you had that was the major bugbear (I'm assuming some of the advice you were given).
The problem was that my observer said I was braking round corners, but I wasn't!

I actually went out with the area chief observer and he said my riding was ok but because I made a valid complaint I have been ostrasized by the group hence my attitude.
Old 21-01-13, 12:27 PM   #4
SUPERSTARDJ01

Try a different group?
Old 21-01-13, 01:26 PM   #5
acting_strange

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERSTARDJ01 View Post
Try a different group?
Yes but its more than that.... I spoke to the IAM head office and followed their complaints procedures and they were useless. As I said more interested in saving their image than in correcting the problem....ergo IAM a waste of time...

I was just wondering if anyone had done the ROSPA test etc and what they felt about it.

Obviously I dont have to do either...ridden for 38yrs....but would be nice you know..
Old 21-01-13, 01:53 PM   #6
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Just Luck of the Draw .
Rospa you have to re do your test every 5 years.
No bad thing tbh
Old 21-01-13, 02:04 PM   #7
SUPERSTARDJ01

I found it hard to find a local ROSPA group so went with IAM and found them excellent I just listened and followed passed my test first and am a better rider for it, there is a guy on here that is ROSPA and IAM qualified I believe.
Old 21-01-13, 02:07 PM   #8
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Around this way there is a chap who does private tuition.
So you might find someone like that
Old 21-01-13, 07:19 PM   #9
ChrisCurvyS

I've done training with RoSPA. It was excellent and because the instructors are volunteers, it's cheap. You just give them a fiver per session for petrol, whereas I think you pay a lot more for the IAM?

However, because the RoSPA guys are volunteers, you might have to wait a while before they can fit you in - think it was about five months for me.
ChrisCurvyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-13, 07:23 PM   #10
DJ123
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by acting_strange View Post
What do people think?

I've actually had a really bad time with the IAM. Crap Instructor and covered up a valid complaint.

I would still like to do an advanced course as I feel it wuld be beneficial but am now wary.

I could still do my IAM test as I've paid for it but to be honest I wouldn't P*** on them now if they were on fire.

Useful comments would be nice )
1 man doesn't warrant slating a whole organisation and writing the thing off. Ask for a different instructor and go from there.

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote