SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 20-03-13, 02:52 PM   #1
dirtyred619

Default Master cylinder banjo bolt thread size?

You probably wouldn't think a simple bolt could cause any problems, but after threading my master cylinder with one the other week, my replacement cylinder came today and thought I would screw in the brake lines prior to swapping the cylinders over. The bolt the new (used) M/C came with fitted fine but it's only for a single brake line (one hole) so went to put my dual line bolt in ,which is the same barring having holes for 2 lines, it screws in about half a turn and doesn't want to go any further. Needless to say I didn't try and force it for fear of threading another M/C.

It's weird as my bolt was in the old M/C so you would have thought it would have fit straight back in. The only difference apart from length, is that the bore of hole through the bolt is narrower on my old bolt then the new single hole bolt, could that be the reason?

Anyway, I'll just have to order another bolt and try that, where's best to go to? The code on the single hole bolt is 7P, does anybody know the code of the dual line banjo bolt?
Old 20-03-13, 03:00 PM   #2
TamSV
Mega Poster

Default Re: Banjo Bolts

Compare the threads on the two bolts - they're probably a different pitch (i.e. one has bigger threads than the other). You need to make sure you get a new double bolt with the correct pitch thread.
TamSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-13, 03:12 PM   #3
M65

If you need any of those bolts back from when I bought your lines, let us know.
Old 20-03-13, 03:13 PM   #4
dirtyred619

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamSV View Post
Compare the threads on the two bolts - they're probably a different pitch (i.e. one has bigger threads than the other). You need to make sure you get a new double bolt with the correct pitch thread.
They do look the same but what you say must be the case with it not wanting to go in, I'll post a pic later of the 2 bolts (bet you can't wait!!)

Just done a bit more digging. The lines that I removed were HEL braided lines and apparently they (HEL) are notorious for sending out the wrong pitch banjo bolts so god knows how it even got in there in the first place.

Does M10 x 1.00 sound like the correct pitch to you?

Also when I was digging I've come across these, worth the extra expense?

http://www.svracingparts.com/product...roduct=1747418
Old 20-03-13, 03:15 PM   #5
dirtyred619

Quote:
Originally Posted by M65 View Post
If you need any of those bolts back from when I bought your lines, let us know.
They were both doing the same on my cylinder so both must be the wrong pitch. Just hope you've not tried to use them on yours and thread your M/C too!
Old 20-03-13, 03:22 PM   #6
TamSV
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyred619 View Post
Does M10 x 1.00 sound like the correct pitch to you?
I'm pretty sure the pointy is 1.25
TamSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-13, 03:35 PM   #7
dirtyred619

Think I'm best trying to find somewhere local that sells them, take the M/C with me and try them out. The smallest things are a right pain!!!
Old 20-03-13, 04:19 PM   #8
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country
Default Re: Master cylinder banjo bolt thread size?

There is a difference between late 90's and current master cylinders! I've found this out at the cost of a M/C!
The later pointy M/C's are 1.25 pitch

Stolen from Goodridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.goodridge.net/documents/downloads/retail/GoodridgeCat_low.pdf
Suzuki
All Suzukis pre 1994 used 10 x 1mm bolts throughout. From 1994 Suzuki used
10 x 1.25mm bolts on the front calipers only and 10 x 1mm on the rest of the bike.
From 2002, all bolts are now 10 x 1.25mm
WARNING – There are exceptions !

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi

Last edited by andrewsmith; 20-03-13 at 04:20 PM.
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-13, 04:26 PM   #9
M65

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyred619 View Post
They were both doing the same on my cylinder so both must be the wrong pitch. Just hope you've not tried to use them on yours and thread your M/C too!
Not yet but I'll try to reuse my original ones first now that you have warned me. Cheers for the heads up.
Old 20-03-13, 04:29 PM   #10
dirtyred619

Default Re: Master cylinder banjo bolt thread size?

That's what I'll ask for then when I go the bike shop tomorrow and try them out. My current (now knackered) M/C is of a K4 and replacement of a K3 so will be the same.