SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 15-03-09, 09:03 AM   #1
600+

Default The Cotswolds - Suggestions for long weekend?

I'm looking to take missus+dog and go somewhere like Bath. A friend suggested The Cotswolds but when looking on google it comes up with an area on the map......quite large

So any suggestions of places to stay? Prefer village, quiet, close to Bath so we can see it and a nice B&B.

Thanks
Old 15-03-09, 10:05 AM   #2
cuffy

Default Re: The Cotswolds - Suggestions for long weekend?

Some little villages within the area you could look at are:
Castle Combe.
Biddestone.
Box (Mate of mine owns a B&B in Kingsdown, views over looking the valley into Bath)
Bradford On Avon.
All within 8 miles of Bath.

If you need any more help then fire away.
Old 15-03-09, 10:08 AM   #3
tinpants
Ubique

If you want to go to the Cotswolds then anywhere you go will be nice at this time of year. Bourton on the Water or Moreton in the Marsh are lovely little towns as is Cirencester. At this time of year you really can't go wrong.
Old 16-03-09, 09:50 AM   #4
MiniMatt

Yeah Bourton Under Water (as it was in the floods in 07) is very purdy, as is Moreton. Can't remember the name of any places off the top of my head - that pub in Bourton just next to the bridge as the road kinks 90 degrees - umm, even Google will struggle with that. A few nice bike roads down there too, you're very close to the (in)famous Fish Hill. Cirencester's got some nice bits too, more of a small town than a village, lots of old Roman history - heading to Ciren from Cheltenham make sure you go down the A435 rather than just blat down the dual carriageway - again very nice purdy road with lots of constant radius sweeping bends - go steady though, they're not particularly challenging bends (unlike Fish Hill) but there is a college on that road (Chelsea Tractors) and a few small farms around (Regular Tractors) that tend to appear by magic right round the (invariably blind) corner.
Old 16-03-09, 12:13 PM   #5
gruntygiggles
DaffyGingerBint
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600+ View Post
I'm looking to take missus+dog and go somewhere like Bath. A friend suggested The Cotswolds but when looking on google it comes up with an area on the map......quite large

So any suggestions of places to stay? Prefer village, quiet, close to Bath so we can see it and a nice B&B.

Thanks
Well, Stretchie and I live in Old Sodbury, a little village about 15 minutes from Bath and to be honest, anywhere around here would be lovely. I would probably suggest Castle Coombe though as it is the most often voted prttiest village in England and it really is a beautiful place. As for your dog, we have four and we never run out of fantastic places here to walk them. Castle Coombe is only 7 miles from us but you could spend 6 months doing all the walks between the two villages.

There are so many lovely country pubs, and good places to eat/enjoy the scenery round here as well, you can't really go wrong and in Castle Coome, you are only 5 minutes off the Motorway J18, so only 20 mins drive from Bath.

As I live here myself, if you decide to come this way and want someone to go and look at B&B's so you get a nice one, I'd be happy to do it. I work from home and often drive around to walk the dogs!

Hope that helped!