SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-10-04, 12:08 PM   #1
rjh

Default Steering Head Bearings

Soon after buying my '99 30K SV650S I noticed 'clunking' in the front end when going over bumps and holes - even at very low speeds. I've done all the usual tests for head bearings but there doesn't seem to be movement in the front wheel at all.

I've tightened then loosened then tightened the head bearing collar, with varying degrees of temporary change. At the moment it's too tight (bike doesn't want to turn). Tyres are fine, btw.

Is the clunking the steering head bearings or something inside the forks? Can I remove/replace steering head bearings without having to chisel/press them off? Lastly, where the best place to buy them - if this is the problem?
Old 13-10-04, 12:27 PM   #2
svpilot

Hi and welcome

They all do that sir Well mine does anyway Have a look on this page http://www.sv650.org/sv_sep99.htm I think some riders replace the fork oil. I'm sure someone will be along in a moment with a more technical answer...
Old 13-10-04, 12:31 PM   #3
karen

Hi my 2000 model does that as well,some will say that most will do that.I spoke to my dealer about it and he said that they do that,but i will need to wait till M.O.T time to see if there is a problem with the steeringhead bearings.
Old 13-10-04, 02:12 PM   #4
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

It may well be the forks, just about all SV forks 'clunk' to a greater or lesser degree, it would be wise to make sure that all is well with the brakes and steering though.
Another possibility is the discs, a number of them will move a surprising amount relative to the carrier, as long as the movement goes away, (or at least lessens significantly), when the discs are hot it's probably not too much.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote