SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-01-05, 12:44 AM   #1
caines

Default How many times have you said this?

I am completely addicted to riding my bike, I swore to myself when I had my minor off near christmas that 'oh thats it! its going away now!'. That thought lasts about ooh 1 day maybe at most!

My mate fell of his moped the other day (its a 180 but hes still a tosser for buying a ped after passing his DAS) and he was the same, saying how thats it now for the winter. Again maybe 2 days later hes back on the bike.

I dont think anyone has any control over it at all, I definately ride too fast and I worry myself to be honest but I absolutely do not have the power to put the thing away.

I even tell myself of a morning 'drive slow! just drive the same speed as the cars!' But then a gap opens up in the traffic and my brains says ' eh! if you nail it you could get through that gap!' and even though its the most pointless manouvre ever, I just have no control what-so-ever lol

I ride too fast but not dangerously (if you see what I mean) but I need to calm it down, how to do that is another question. Getting married is a good cure Ive heard, bye bye motorbike
Old 18-01-05, 02:26 AM   #2
650newb

seeing that, i think i could be the same apart from i need my bike to get to and from work as cant afford car just yet
Old 18-01-05, 04:40 AM   #3
RandyO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 650newb
seeing that, i think i could be the same apart from i need my bike to get to and from work as cant afford car just yet
I surprised myself and calculated my costs to own my cage (82 BMW320i) vs my bike (99SV650) I bought the car in 00 with 210,000 miles for $500 the SV I bought new in 99 for $5650. I put about equal miles on both vehicles, 25,000 per year each more or less My SV gets 38-42 mpg on regular $1100 , and the bimmer gets 32-35mpg on premium $1450, I spend about equal on oil changes. TIRES SV annually $900, bimmer $100, the other big SV expense is chain & sprockets, even with a scottoiler, I still go thru a set a year.... my insurance is cheap for both, the bimmer is a bit more $300 and SV $250.... but after I add it all up... the tires is the kicker. BUT ITS MORE FUN and my little bimmer's not a boring cage
Old 18-01-05, 06:37 AM   #4
rictus01
Mega Poster

A good tip I was told many years back, was to put a photo of your family or parents in front of you, in the fairing somewhere, so it always catches you eye.

It works to, that gap, seems just a bit smaller all of a sudden.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-05, 08:07 AM   #5
mysteryjimbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rictus01
A good tip I was told many years back, was to put a photo of your family or parents in front of you, in the fairing somewhere, so it always catches you eye.

Cheers Mark.
I might try that. Since i ride 400 miles a week, sometimes i'm more daring than others as its the same journey every day. But it'd be nice to have a reminder from time to time about my partner and 5 month old (5 months already!!!!).
Old 18-01-05, 08:09 AM   #6
The Mass

Quote:
Originally Posted by rictus01

Cheers Mark.

I'll Second that, good comment Mark.

A piccy of the little ones (If you have any) works.

Mass
Old 18-01-05, 08:49 AM   #7
Jabba

Default Re: How many times have you said this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by caines
My mate fell of his moped the other day (its a 180 but hes still a t*sser for buying a ped after passing his DAS)
If it's a Gilera Runner 180SP (the 2-stroke one) then that is a seriously mean 'ped - very quick away from the lights............

TWO mag ran one for a while when the mag first started and covered scoots as well as proper bikes and often printed the picture of a road tester wheelying it.

If it's any other 'ped then you might be right. Obviously, this doesn't apply to anyone who's done DAS and has a proper bike as well
Old 18-01-05, 09:01 AM   #8
will

hey caines, i understand where you are coming from on this one.

if you want a good reason to slow down, why not stop next to a tree on chelsea embankment where a hornet rider was killed before christmas. if you read some of the letters attached to said tree, you'll take it easy.

sorry to be depressing, but it is what i did and it has had the right effect, ie slowed me right down. i'm also a new rider and need to be extra careful.

Will.
Old 18-01-05, 09:21 AM   #9
Jabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCan05
if you want a good reason to slow down, why not stop next to a tree on chelsea embankment where a hornet rider was killed before christmas. if you read some of the letters attached to said tree, you'll take it easy
Aye - a fallen brother

There's some good advice about safe/improved riding in this months Ride mag............. track, city, open road and touring all covered. The stuff in the open road bit is the same as on the Bikesafe course. The rider being trained was one of the ITV news staff, I think.
Old 18-01-05, 10:12 AM   #10
BURNER

Someone once said there are two types of biker, those that have fallen off and those that will fall off.
Being one of the former I take it really easy in traffic, still quicker than a cage but not taking stupid risks if I can help it.

Believe me, after your first trip to A&E on a back board with your clothes sliced off you'll calm down. Although 6 months after that I bought my first gixer