SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 08-04-11, 09:52 PM   #1
Scott S

Default Output Shaft Oil Seal (where to buy)

As title really, is going to the dealer the best/only option? I could do with getting one quickly to be honest. Mine is a 1999 Curvy.

I wheeled the bike out of the garage this morning and noticed a drop or two of oil I had a look, but there wasn't anything obvious and there was only a little oil.

A couple of miles down the road and I noticed smoke coming from the bike, so pulled over and found oil was leaking onto the exhaust causing the smoke. I was close to home, so nursed it back.

It nearly meant I had my first 'off' as I hadn't realised the rear tyre was covered in oil so turning the corner into my street was a bit hairy. I had to put my foot down to steady myself and twisted my hip, so that is still sore.

I looked over it tonight and the drive/output shaft seal appears to have 'failed'. When the engine is running it pretty much 'pours' out. The sprocket nut was tight (had to get the trusty 12v impact ratchet out to get it off), but the the seal seemed to have moved forward. I pushed it back in and that helped, but it was still leaking, although I didn't put the sprocket bolt on after I had pushed it back.
Old 09-04-11, 03:25 PM   #2
Scott S

Default Re: Output Shaft Oil Seal (where to buy)

I called the one place and they said £7 but it would be Tuesday but that meant I couldn't pick it up until next Saturday, so called another place and it was almost £10 but they had it in stock (both genuine Suzuki so the price difference is a little odd, but not to worry, an extra £3 is worth it).

I have it now, but I am work until 3am, then from 12-4 tomorrow afternoon, so it will be done when I get back in tomorrow.
Old 10-04-11, 05:30 PM   #3
Scott S

I put he new seal in this afternoon and put the spacer plus sprocket plus seal retainer on but when I started the bike it was still leaking.

Does the seal have to be pushed all of the way back? Or does it go 'so far' then the seal retainer keeps it in?

It was a genuine Suzuki seal....did I just not do it right somehow?
Old 11-04-11, 07:28 AM   #4
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

The bush that the seal bears on has an 'O' ring that seals it to the shaft, was that replaced? Is the bush itself in good condition? If it's scored or has suffered some corrosion damage it will never seal correctly.

Have a look at this - part number 48 in the diagram.

If I understand you correctly you're suggesting the original seal had been displaced in some way, what was the cause? Assuming you could tell of course.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-11, 07:45 PM   #5
Scott S

Thanks for the reply, it is much appreciated.

I didn't replace the 'o' ring inside the spacer/bush, but I am going to ring tomorrow to order one, as I noticed it wasn't in great condition when I went to put it back on.

I will also get a price for the spacer/bush as well when I phone as (although discontinued) doesn't seem expensive. Also going to order a washer lock as they should be pennies.

Looking back at it, I was probably a little premature with the removal of the first seal

When I took the seal retaining plate off, I noticed the seal was right at the edge and the oil was leaking quite badly.

I had just assumed the seal had 'gone', but I think it may have been ok and the sprocket had just slipped, the bolt was 'tight' when I removed it, but I am almost certain that the sprocket had came away from the guides as (from memory) the nut (although tight) was showing very few (if any) threads.
Old 15-04-11, 08:21 PM   #6
Scott S

Well, I thought i was best off doing it properly, so I bought a new oil seal, a new spacer, a new o ring and a new lock washer. I also picked myself up a workshop manual and a torque wrench.

All parts now replaced and bike put back together, just need to wash all of the oil from it and get back on it.