SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 30-05-06, 04:34 PM   #1
DanAbnormal

Default Some drivers!!!

Missus was out working last week when a car in front wanted to turn right. Missus slows car down and stops and wait's for car in front to make his turn. She looks in rear view mirror to see a bike coming from behind and looks as if he is not braking...............gets closer still and hits the back of her stationary car sending rider over the top and he lands on his back against the curb (ouch). Luckily he seems okay but the bike is fooked. He was a 16 year old kid riding one of those supermoto type bikes adapted for road use though. Heaven knows what he was looking at as he had a good 50 yards to see her stationary car and stop but there were no skid marks at all suggesting that he never even attempted to brake. There were two cars behind the bike who just drove around the accident and drove off!!! I mean that is just diabolical. Not only for the fact that they were witnesses but also they should have stopped to see if the lad was okay, he went flying. Like I said he was okay but makes you think that if you had a big off would a cage driver stop to help.............?
Old 30-05-06, 05:05 PM   #2
Samnooshka

Sorry to hear that the kid came off even though it was his fault. It happens a lot, had a guy come into hein gericke the other week, got knocked off at 8 that morning by a guy overtaking a bus, ploughed straigh through him and kept driving, bike was a write off. Luckily got his number plate but was probably not taxed mot'd or insured and is probably not even registered with the driver so he's screwed!!! makes me so angry!!!!

So the answer is, don't rely on a cager to stop for you.

Sammy
Old 30-05-06, 05:14 PM   #3
Lissa
Just Ballast
Mega Poster

A mate of ours was knocked off his bike by a car at night a couple of weeks ago. He was overtaking when it suddenly swerved, hit him, and sent him across to the other side of the road where he hit a sign and ended up 8ft down in a ditch with the bike on top of him. The car just carried on.

Another driver witnessed the accident, phoned for an ambulance.................and left. So poor old Fez was stuck in the ditch, in the dark, on his own. The ambulance turned up, couldn't find him, and finally had to call out a helicopter with thermal imaging to pinpoint him.

Unbelievably, the car that had hit him then returned, with the driver claiming to have 'swerved to avoid a fox!' Yeah, and the moon is made of green cheese. The 'driver' was a middle-aged woman, but Fez is certain that when the car hit him it was being driven by a lad! Of course, he can't prove it.

So not only did one driver hit him and not stop, but the other driver left after phoning for an ambulance. Fair enough, he did phone for one, but Fez would have been found a hell of a lot sooner if the driver had stayed to show the ambulance where he was.

Luckily, and almost unbeliveably, Fez only suffered serious bruising. His R1, however, has gone to the great scrapyard in the sky.

So to answer the question.................help from cage drivers? Don't count on it!

I'd Rather Have Two Big Bangs Than Four Little Strokes
Lissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-06, 05:25 PM   #4
Samnooshka

I know that many people on here are cagers, and many would stop if a biker came off, many would even stop if they were sitting at the side of the road in case there is something wrong, i know i try and stop (if it is safe for me to do so).

It's just a very sore point for me, and is one of those that can really get my back up. I think that driving has deffinately deteriorated in the past few years. People just don't care. Stay safe and watch your back, i swear in traffic they try and hit you on purpose.

It just seems like they get in the car and when in there they're in a safe box an therefore don't need a brain to operate it. However, i have noticed lately that its not just cars that do not stop, some bikes are culprits of this as well.

My ex brother in-law was taken out by a guy opening his door on him when he was flitering through stationary traffic down the M25 towards the Dartford tunnels. Guy told him that he should have waited "like the rest of us" luckily there was only scuffs, but it was a brand new cbr900rr (04 i think).

Sammy
Old 30-05-06, 05:30 PM   #5
Black Rider

WOW that's shocking guys! I can't believe it!

I was up Rivvy Barn yesterday and i was following a driver with both brake lights out (but the high level was still working). I followed him to a pub where he dropped off his mate and started heading back the way we had come from. I needed to start heading home so I just said to the mate " Both of your mates brake lights are out" and he said "I don't care".

I was shocked n didn't know what to say

If this is the attitude that people are treating the road with then I think we ALL need to watch out
Old 30-05-06, 05:33 PM   #6
Black Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samnooshka
I know that many people on here are cagers, and many would stop if a biker came off, many would even stop if they were sitting at the side of the road in case there is something wrong, i know i try and stop (if it is safe for me to do so).

It's just a very sore point for me, and is one of those that can really get my back up. I think that driving has deffinately deteriorated in the past few years. People just don't care. Stay safe and watch your back, i swear in traffic they try and hit you on purpose.

It just seems like they get in the car and when in there they're in a safe box an therefore don't need a brain to operate it. However, i have noticed lately that its not just cars that do not stop, some bikes are culprits of this as well.

My ex brother in-law was taken out by a guy opening his door on him when he was flitering through stationary traffic down the M25 towards the Dartford tunnels. Guy told him that he should have waited "like the rest of us" luckily there was only scuffs, but it was a brand new cbr900rr (04 i think).

Sammy
I agree completely!
Old 30-05-06, 09:14 PM   #7
svpilot

I agree to all the points above, but would like to add there are also some good guys out there. I was taken out by a car door too (passenger in a Freelander decided to get out in lane three of the A2, my hand took the impact on the edge of the door ) But I had three very good witnesses. These guys actually gave me their details (even though the driver of the Freelander tried to prevent them from doing so) one took photos, and they all replied to questionaires from my solicitor and the Police. Without these witnesses It would have been my word against his. His 'defense' was that the door was open for 'ten minutes'. Thanks to my witness statements the other party was deemed to be 100% at fault.

I have vowed that I will ALWAYS offer to be a witness if I see anything, and will send these guys wine vouchers or something as soon as this thing is settled.

I hope the rider and you wife (must have shaken her up) are ok...

gotta go, LOST has started

Ride safe...
Old 30-05-06, 09:28 PM   #8
Rob S (Yella)

Cage drivers nearly killed me while joyriding in a hit and run in Oct 03, they left me in the outside lane of the A13 with multiple fractures, disclocations and internal bleeding. I was given a 5% chance of pulling thru and I am still receiving weekly hospital treatment and am officially disabled for life.

But Cage drivers also helped me that night and without thier intervention I would be dead.

So please don't write all cagers off as total W@@k@rs, just most of them.
Old 31-05-06, 01:33 PM   #9
Ceri JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by svpilot
I have vowed that I will ALWAYS offer to be a witness if I see anything, and will send these guys wine vouchers or something as soon as this thing is settled.

I hope the rider and you wife (must have shaken her up) are ok...

gotta go, LOST has started

Ride safe...
Yep. Same here. I like to think I would have anyway, but since my need for witnesses in an accident, I have vowed I will always stop and bear witness if needed.
Old 31-05-06, 02:04 PM   #10
Lou M

A few years ago I was witness to events that led to a fatal, unfortuantly a biker. When I read what happened in the paper and realised what I'd seen I rang the police, to be given the third degree. (I nearly put the phone down as I hadn't given my name).
After that the hassle with the insurance company ringing me all the time I vowed never to stop and be a witness again.

BUT - when the police told me that my witness account had prevented the lorry driver being prosecuted but the car driver had been (whose fault it was), it made me realise that even though a man had lost his life, I'd prevented another man losing his livelihood.

So it's definatly worth stopping.