SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-03-05, 04:08 PM   #1
Rodger Wabbit

Default Upgrades?

Hello, After along time of paying my loan of for my SV i have now managed to get it low enough to start buying things again

My aim is to get a few parts for my 2000 Sv which will hopefully give it a bit more poke. I was thinking of
1)BMC filter or BMC Race filter? (wots the difference other then the name)
2)Advance ignition thing
3)Larger Rear sprocket
4)And a dyno at the end to set it all up.

My bike currently has a full Akrapovic exhaust system.

What do you lot think this will set me back? And how much extra power is this gonna give me?

Thanks Lee
Old 10-03-05, 08:50 PM   #2
northwind
Mega Poster

1) Neither, Race RS is a free-er flowing filter. Costs the same as the others but can be hard to find... If you're getting a jet kit as well, then probably look no further than the JHS Racing Stage 2- it's a modified DJ kit that comes with bigger jets and the Race RS filter. £150, not cheap, but should save you on setup costs.

2) Doesn't give much extra top end power, but works wonders on the midrange. Think the advancer is £25, the gasket's about a tenner, the tool's the sticking point but mine is out on a permanent lend (Jonboy's got it just now, there might still be others ahead of you though and if you're near an oil chance, just do it at the same time since you lose a bit of oil when the side casing comes off. Excellent mod- peak power's nice, but power at everyday riding revs is nicer.

3) Won't actually make any power at all, just feels like it does. I only went up a tooth as I didn't want too agressive a change, but lots of people go up 2 or 3. Mine cost me £95 all in with new gold chain and Renthal sprockets, but it can be done cheaper, or better, up to you.

4) Will cost a random amount depending on how many goes it takes to get right. The JHS kit should save you here though.

How much power? Not sure. That filter's a big difference from stock, so along with your system and the rejet (assuming it was never jetted for the system you should get a decent kick, but everyone varies. I'll play it safe and say 3-7bhp at the rear wheel in total, probably 4 or 5- that seems to be pretty typical. The best effect is the stronger power all through the midbamd, it'll pull from earlier for longer, and give yu a much broader peak.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-05, 08:57 PM   #3
OF.uk

what he said.........................probably
Old 11-03-05, 01:22 PM   #4
Rodger Wabbit

Quote:
Neither, Race RS is a free-er flowing filter. Costs the same as the others but can be hard to find... If you're getting a jet kit as well, then probably look no further than the JHS Racing Stage 2- it's a modified DJ kit that comes with bigger jets and the Race RS filter. £150, not cheap, but should save you on setup costs.
Hi, thanks for the reply. I have looked on there website but i carnt find this package? Also if i was to get this done then do you know if it includes the dyno to set it all up?

Also do you really think i will need a new chain if i was to replace the Rear sprocket? My chain has only done 1k and it should have enough adjustment to get 1-2 bigger ring on the back?

Thanks Lee
Old 11-03-05, 04:36 PM   #5
northwind
Mega Poster

Mine had enough for one tooth, maybe for two... Not sure. if you were to change the front sprocket to 14t instead, it should definately work (same as going up 3 at the rear, more or less) given the choice I'd do the rear but this'd probably work better.

I don't know how people fidn the Race RS normally, maybe PM Mike1234, he's far more clued up on stuff like that than I am- I got mine used The JHS kit doesn't include dyno setup (though he'll do it if you can get to Bristol) but it's specifically designed for that filter and for a full system, so the settings should get you right into the ballpark from the word go.

To be fair, I didn't use it myself, I did it right on the cheap and did the setup myself, and it's still to get finetuned on the dyno. But I reckon that for an SV with a full system it's pretty much the logical choice. The DJ Stage 1&3 kit doesn't come with big enough jets, or any setup instructions that'd work with a Race RS... (it was developed with the original, rubbish K&N and never redesigned, it seems) and their Stage 1 only is a waste of money IMHO.

The Factory Pro one is supposed to be better, but IIRC it's £80 anyway, plus the £50 or whatever for the filter, so if the JHS kit saves you half an hour of labour then it's paid for itself.

Or you could just adjust the original needles and buy big jets- this works, and is dirt cheap, but it'll never be as good as with a full kit, and considering the money you'll have invested in other parts that just strikes me as a waste.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote