SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 08-07-08, 09:03 AM   #1
Rhiwbina_Squirrel

Default One of those days :(

I was woken, this morning, by my mum telling me that the dog was having trouble breathing. She had been struggling a little over the past few days but couldn't make the vets appointment yesturday so we had one booked this morning. She asked me what I thought she should do - it was either wait 'til the appointment or take her to the emergency clinic. I told her to go to the emergency clinic straight away - which she did. I carried on as normal and went into school. About 1 and a bit hours later I text her to ask her what was happening and within a couple of minutes I had recieved a very tearful phone call telling me that melody collapsed in the car and started bubbling at the mouth, my mum had too drive over the central reservation by the vets where vets attempted to revive her but with no luck.

One of the members of staff drove me home and it really hit me then. She wasn't there on the landing to greet us, like she usually was, and the house just felt a whole lot bigger and emptier.

Apparently, she'd had heart disease and the difficulty she had breathing was her lungs filling with fluid, which was eventually what killed her. I know it was probably for the best because she was suffering but it hurts so much. What if we'd gone yesturday? What if she didn't go in the car and was carried to the vets just down the road? She always gets excited in the car so she would've been trying to pant like the mad thing she was. What if we'd picked it up earlier? I just can't help but think how we could've done it differently and, maybe, if she'd still be alive if we had.

Alex
Old 08-07-08, 09:06 AM   #2
Ed

Default Re: One of those days :(

Aw Alex that's sad. The world is full of if onlies. The fact is that melody was very ill and while I'm no vet, a weak heart causing lungs to fill with fluid is usually the end - the vet might have been able to make her more comfortable but I doubt s/he could have done anything to save her.

Old 08-07-08, 09:06 AM   #3
keithd

don't be thinking that way, i know it easy to blame yourself, but at the time you did what you did. its bad enough losing melody without beating yourself up over it. really sorry to hear about pooch, i cried more when my dog died than i did when my father died.!!

take care alex
Old 08-07-08, 09:09 AM   #4
Baph

I remember years back our dog was having similar breathing difficulties, and also problems walking. We took the decision to euthanize him. Back then, I was around 14 years old, but he was my dog, so I took the decision it was my job to hold him while it happened.

Most emotional thing I've done yet, and typing this post, I can feel my eyes filling up.

I, like the other dog owners of the .org, have complete empathy. It's now 10years later, and we're considering getting a dog. If we do, it'll be my dog again, not the kids, and not my partners - I don't want them feeling compelled to go through what I did.

Old 08-07-08, 09:09 AM   #5
Kate Moss

Oh I am so sorry to read this. It is always so sad when you loose a pet as they become one of the family.
Old 08-07-08, 09:10 AM   #6
Drew Carey
Not Fizzwheel
Mega Poster

Mate I'm truely gutted for you. Keep your head up and don't worry bout the "if onlies" will only make you more upset.

Enjoy the good times you had and the companionship. Big hugs from me and Lily.

Hovis RIP Buddy - 13/08/1975 - 03/10/2009
"Feckinnnn Unluckkeeeeeeee"
Drew Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-08, 09:11 AM   #7
BernardBikerchick

very very sad xx you did the best thing x

hugs

bbc
Old 08-07-08, 09:13 AM   #8
Shellywoozle
Mega Poster

Awww Alex I know how much you loved Melody I am so sorry. Instead of thinking of the what ifs why not think about all the good times and think about what a wonderful life she had.

Ed is right, if the vets had helped her today this would most probably have happened later in the week and she could have been alone then which would have been worse for Melody.

I can't say anything to stop your hurt Alex as I know how I would feel if this were Sam, you have my number if you want a chat !!!

Big big cuddles hun xx

RIP Melody xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

<Shell is tearful>
Black K4 Pointy named Zuky, OEM belly pan, OEM hugger, OEM cowl, R&G bungs, akrapovic system, tinted double bubble Fabbri screen, tail tidy, scottoiler, alarm, datatagged, lowered seat for short ass rider named Shell.

RIP PC David Rathband sad day 29/2/2012
Shellywoozle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-08, 09:19 AM   #9
Mogs

When you made ypur decisions, you did what you thought best. It will do you no good to think "What if?".
Old 08-07-08, 09:32 AM   #10
Tara

so sorry to read about this sending you big hugs xx