SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-01-07, 11:52 AM   #1
Cam_73

Default Trackday Bike Project

OK, here goes.....

Now that I've been riding for just over a year (minus winter) my brother and I were talking over christmas about a project bike, to use for trackdays.

He's been riding for a while, done a few trackdays and said it's a great way to learn more off the roads. Sowe are giving it some serious consideration. I get a good reason to travel to London and we get a good excuse to claim the garage as the man cave.

My first question is, what bike would you suggest? Conditions are something 250cc-500cc, not to common, definitely not rare, obtainable spares, reasonably straightforward to work on and less than £3k.

Cheers
Old 21-01-07, 12:21 PM   #2
Blue_SV650S

Default Re: Trackday Bike Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam_73
My first question is, what bike would you suggest? Conditions are something 250cc-500cc, not to common, definitely not rare, obtainable spares, reasonably straightforward to work on and less than £3k.

Cheers
Start off with a steelie (~91-94) CBR600 x-racebike. You can pick a good one up for ~£1000, with sorted suspension, a set of we wheels (WoW) and a few basic spares.

In my opinion, you are wasting your time on anything smaller than a 600 as you will jet get frustratingly out-gunned all the time ... unless that is your bag to play the underdog that is ...

Anyhoo, cut your teeth on the CBR6, the engines are strong anyway, but if it goes pop there are plenty of replacement ones for little money ... if you fall off it, spares are plentiful and cheap (as these things go) ... if you like this trackday lark, then save up and buy a gixer thou!!!

....... quick look to see what is curently on eBay ... here you go ... an example of a potential bargain and just the sort of thing I think you should be after A link

Its just an example ... these things are available all the time ... you get an awful lot of bike-per-buck with an old 'sorted' steelie
Old 21-01-07, 12:52 PM   #3
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

There is a 400 series for stuff like the CBR400, VFR400, ZXR400 etc. but I can't remember what its called.

Parts for the CBR, VFR etc are relatively cheap and easy to find and I think its regulated along the lines of MiniTwins, so you don't need bottomless pockets to compete. The older bikes are cheaper but still just as good, they come up on eBay now and again often with spares etc.

I think they also let some 250's in the TZR250 and RS250, but unless you like rebuilding engines I wouldn't go this route.

If you go for the 400's I recommend the NC23 cause I have one and they are cracking little bikes. But no I don't race on the track, I don't have the time or money. The brakes are fantastic and the engines are reliable Honda. And if you've got a £3000 budget, that should be enough for a bike, a spare bike, some more spares, some performance parts from Graeme France and a bacon butty!

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-07, 12:59 PM   #4
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel_hunter
{whispers} ... dude I think you missed the point ... he is wanting a bike project with a view to do trackdaying, not looking at race series to take part in!
Old 21-01-07, 01:37 PM   #5
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_SV650S
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel_hunter
{whispers} ... dude I think you missed the point ... he is wanting a bike project with a view to do trackdaying, not looking at race series to take part in!

I don't know how on earth I miss read that

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-07, 01:37 PM   #6
chunkytfg

Default Re: Trackday Bike Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_SV650S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam_73

Cheers
Start off with a steelie (~91-94) CBR600 x-racebike. You can pick a good one up for ~£1000, with sorted suspension, a set of we wheels (WoW) and a few basic spares.

In my opinion, you are wasting your time on anything smaller than a 600 as you will jet get frustratingly out-gunned all the time ... unless that is your bag to play the underdog that is ...

Anyhoo, cut your teeth on the CBR6, the engines are strong anyway, but if it goes pop there are plenty of replacement ones for little money ... if you fall off it, spares are plentiful and cheap (as these things go) ... if you like this trackday lark, then save up and buy a gixer thou!!!

....... quick look to see what is curently on eBay ... here you go ... an example of a potential bargain and just the sort of thing I think you should be after A link

Its just an example ... these things are available all the time ... you get an awful lot of bike-per-buck with an old 'sorted' steelie
cant rtecommencd a steelie enough tbh. I spent a year and 22 trtackdays on mine with nothing more than an oil change after every day. I paid £1300 for it allready trackprepped and sold it for £1300ish.

Old 21-01-07, 08:13 PM   #7
Blue_SV650S

Winning bid: £721.00 ... that was steelie (pun very much intended!) of the century for someone!!! ... it would even been worth going to Scotland for that price!!!