SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-08-07, 01:20 PM   #1
Razor

Default Bike covers, recommend me a good one for outdoors.

My current cover I got from Motorcycle City in Manchester. It wasn't a name brand and it's served me well for 6 years. It has split recently and I'm a few days and one strong gust of wind away from losing it altogether.

Please recommend me a new one to stop my SV being spotted by the local thieves or sh@t on by the local winged rats and of course keep it dry in the usual Manc weather.
Old 27-08-07, 01:49 PM   #2
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Default Re: Bike covers, recommend me a good one for outdoors.

Liz has an Oxford Stormex, which I thought was pretty good, heavy duty, has clips to stop it being blown off the bike, and it was breathable and the liner was fireproof so it would singe on a hot exhaust. Its really waterproof we've left bikes underneath it in torrential raind and gales and the bikes been dry the next day.. but...

Its quite big and it draps on the floor and if the liner touches wet tarmac it soaks up water like a sponge and it takes ages to dry it out again...

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-07, 01:54 PM   #3
powelly

Ive got an oxford stormex, it does the job but the fleecy lining inside seems to soak up the rain from the bottom up (bit like a spong if you get what i mean.)

Its plenty big enough and has a couple of holes in the cover to pass your chain through.

http://www.infinitymotorcycles.com/p...?ProductID=884
Old 27-08-07, 01:54 PM   #4
powelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel View Post
Liz has an Oxford Stormex, which I thought was pretty good, heavy duty, has clips to stop it being blown off the bike, and it was breathable and the liner was fireproof so it would singe on a hot exhaust. Its really waterproof we've left bikes underneath it in torrential raind and gales and the bikes been dry the next day.. but...

Its quite big and it draps on the floor and if the liner touches wet tarmac it soaks up water like a sponge and it takes ages to dry it out again...
Beat me too it!
Old 27-08-07, 01:57 PM   #5
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Yep - I'll echo both of those comments! Mine was like a sponge as well. If I was going to go for one then I would have a look at this:

http://www.getgeared.co.uk/acatalog/...ike_Cover.html

which seems like quite a snug fit and a good few inches off the ground
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30

Last edited by lukemillar; 27-08-07 at 01:57 PM. Reason: spelling
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-07, 11:12 PM   #6
krhall

mine is looking well tatty might be in the hunt for one of these too - what size? Medium?
Old 27-08-07, 11:33 PM   #7
Razor

I ordered a medium.
Old 28-08-07, 11:39 AM   #8
Ceri JC

I have a stormex and a £15 from Argos jobby. The stormex has been used once. The argos one is used constantly, number of reasons:

Portable - can even clip the loops of its bag to the helmet locks and carry it on the pillion seat. It'll also fold/squash down really small if you stuff it into a full bag. I'm looking for a small compression sack to get it to fold even smaller. I reckon I could fit it under the pillion seat with a compression sack.

Can put it on straight away without letting the can/engine cool down.

Cheap - Doesn't matter if it gets nicked.

Security - shows dirt well, which makes it look tatty and psychologically, makes it look like there is a wreck of a bike under it. Smear a bit of oil and paint on it and it looks like you're covering a winter hack. No one is going to keep an MV under a cover like that, right?

Fit- Fits the SV really well and there's just enough space spare that you can cover the bike even when it has luggage on it. I've regularly covered mine when it has been parked up with soft luggage on it and touch wood, have never had anything nicked.
Old 28-08-07, 10:57 PM   #9
Steelman

I use a Hein Gericke Heat Resistant Over 500cc cover; £30 or so and seems to be good so far (about 3 months old). It fits the SV well, and there would be room for tank bag and even some panniers underneath. No nasty flock lining either

Hope this helps
Old 29-08-07, 03:14 AM   #10
Ratty46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelman View Post
I use a Hein Gericke Heat Resistant Over 500cc cover; £30 or so and seems to be good so far (about 3 months old). It fits the SV well, and there would be room for tank bag and even some panniers underneath. No nasty flock lining either

Hope this helps
i have the same cover for my SV, cant fault it, does its job i paid 30 quid for it.