SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 20-12-09, 12:44 AM   #1
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

Default Started off with a restriction and turned it into a Streetfighter!

I bought a 33BHP Restriction ECU from E-Bay from a charming young man who provided no paperwork or instructions, so I lifted the seat and popped it in. Pushed the start button and she leapt in to life as normal. Carol took her for a quick spin down the road just to make sure that she was working OK and came back after a hundred yards to report that there was no noticeable difference at low speed and would have to take it for a blast to see what it has done to her.

I feel a bit sad, I have castrated by bike!

Oh well, I just have to get it together to take my test now.

The other thing I won from E-Bay was a Naked Top Yoke which I am in the process of polishing up. I have stripped it back and rubbed off the stippled effect from the casting. I have also taken down the casting marks from the joints in the moulds. Lots of filing, rubbing and swearing and it is now a dull grey, ready for the polishing mops tomorrow morning. It will look amazing with the Riser bar and polished yoke when it is fitted. This is going to be an interesting project turning my sweet little bike into a Streetfighter.

Will stick up a photo when there is something worth seeing. RIght off for a shower to get this Aluminium dust off of my hands and face. How did I get it on my face, in fact, how did I get this filthy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Jayne you're a Pussy Magnet
My bar swap and custom suspension

Buy my latest novel and help fund my addiction to strippers and Lego.

Last edited by Jayneflakes; 27-12-09 at 06:31 PM.
Jayneflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-09, 12:46 AM   #2
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

Default Re: Hmmm, Restriction done, but did it work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayneflakes View Post
... how did I get this filthy?
Where do we start?
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-09, 10:42 AM   #3
Alpinestarhero

Ok, tell tale signs of succesful (eh?) restriction are:

not really alot going on above 8000 rpm - engine will not pull, opening the throttle really tends to just make mroe noise and more vibrating but not really much go

lack of want to go faster than 105 mph

There was one hill I was going up, with the throttle pinned and tucked right down - I couldnt get my bike (it was restricted then obviously) to go faster than 86 mph highly amusing for my mate who went past at 95 with one hand resting on the tank

I detected no differance in low speed engine behaviour between restricted and unrestricted, but after derestriction, the bike willingly pulled to the rev-limiter and there was a surge of power above 7000 rpm.

Matt
Old 20-12-09, 10:56 AM   #4
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Tell her to open throttle.
Old 20-12-09, 11:14 AM   #5
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpinestarhero View Post
not really alot going on above 8000 rpm - engine will not pull, opening the throttle really tends to just make mroe noise and more vibrating but not really much go
As long as it continues to do the magic at 8500, I don't care how slow her top speed is!

Sorry, dirty joke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpinestarhero View Post
I detected no differance in low speed engine behaviour between restricted and unrestricted, but after derestriction, the bike willingly pulled to the rev-limiter and there was a surge of power above 7000 rpm.

Matt
Thanks Matt, you are always good for information like this. I am glad that she wont be too badly effected, I love my little bike.

As for fitting the ECU, it was easy. I really am turning into a Mechanic. I have given thought to learning about bike mechanics properly, but what puts me off is that when I left school I went to engineering college for two years and hated almost every second. The only aspect I enjoyed was making things in the machine shop in the module Engineering Processes.

I think my interest is purely because this is my bike and I am working on her.

I aim to finish the top yoke today and will consider working on the heel plates and such like after that. I don't want to polish my wheels, but have given thought to having them resprayed at some point in the future. But I am giving consideration as to what else I can polish up.
Quote:

Old 20-12-09, 11:42 AM   #6
Holdup

I agree with Alpinestarhero, 8k rpm it just doesnt do any thing, the day i got mine restricted my Dad rode it with me pillion and i noticed no difference untill we got to the motorway and it started to run out of puff, now i notice it all the time, especially when my work colleages all zoom off into the distance
Old 20-12-09, 12:23 PM   #7
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayneflakes View Post
I think my interest is purely because this is my bike and I am working on her.
It always makes it easier to learn when you have an interest in what you're doing.
Be methodical, think about what you're doing, and before you embark on any task, ask for the thoughts of those whose advice can be relied upon, there are plenty of people on here who are more than willing to assist.
There are some people who will never make a spannerer, but the great majority of work you'll ever want to do to your bike is most definately within your capacity.
And we'll help too! what more could you want?
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-09, 06:27 PM   #8
ahmedf

just a quick derail ( dont want to make a new thread for this).

But just to confirm, if i passed my test on january 4th 2008 does that mean i am legally de-restricted on Jan 4th 2010 and not Jan 5th? Just want to doubly make sure before i de-restrict and then get pulled or have an accident

sorry for derail
thanks
Old 20-12-09, 07:09 PM   #9
sunshine

as long as you de-restrict it on the 4th after the time of passing your test in 08 i guess.

you get to de-restrict yours 2 months before me
Old 20-12-09, 08:51 PM   #10
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

I have been looking at Flush fit LED indicators on E-Bay and wondered if they were a good idea? Anyone used them?

Also a set of LED Indis at work are way more than this, even given internet cheapness these are still very cheap. Do you think that they are probably rubbish or MOT naughtiness that will fail the test?

Hugs from the girly mechanic
Quote: