SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Ancillaries Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on various other bits and bobs, such as rearsets, oil, engine bits.

Old 14-07-17, 01:02 PM   #1
MboroSVGuy

Default H4 LED Headlight Bulb

Hello all. I am new to the site. I just bought a 2017 SV650 ABS, and am wondering if anyone has found a good H4 LED bulb for this headlight. If so, what brand, and is it a straight-forward installation?

Also, is there a way to adjust the headlight so that it illuminates further on the road? I only get about 6 - 8 feet of illumination without turning the brights on.
Old 14-07-17, 01:13 PM   #2
Chris_SVS

Default Re: H4 LED Headlight Bulb

Osram Nightbreaker seem to get good reviews, I've a pair ready to into mine so no first hand experience
Chris_SVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-17, 01:30 PM   #3
MboroSVGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_SVS View Post
Osram Nightbreaker seem to get good reviews, I've a pair ready to into mine so no first hand experience
Thank you. I will keep the Osram in mind, but I am hoping for a good LED option.
Old 14-07-17, 02:23 PM   #4
Bibio
Mega Poster

your beam throw might be due to the front end too low when your sitting on the bike compressing the suspension.

only way to check is find a flat surface with a wall and see what the beam pattern is like when your on and off the bike.

if you need to adjust the beam pattern then remember at MOT time you will need to set it back of it will fail.

i'm at the moment trying out H4 plug and play LED bulbs and so far they seem pretty good but not had them out in pitch black as yet.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-17, 03:21 PM   #5
Northern Biker

Are your lights reflector or projector lenses?
The problem you will find is that most LED headlight bulbs don't usually work well in reflector lenses as the light beam scatters all over the place. Projector lenses work much better with LED bulbs.
A company called Classic Car LEDs sell H4 LED bulbs that apparently are suitable for reflector lenses and have good reviews, they are expensive though at £70 ish a pair!
Old 14-07-17, 03:47 PM   #6
MboroSVGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
if you need to adjust the beam pattern then remember at MOT time you will need to set it back of it will fail.
Luckily, I'm in the states, so we don't have "MOT" inspections.
Old 15-07-17, 01:45 PM   #7
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MboroSVGuy View Post
Also, is there a way to adjust the headlight so that it illuminates further on the road? I only get about 6 - 8 feet of illumination without turning the brights on.
See attached photo, under the headlight there is a hexagon bolt head with a cross head depression in it, there is a big rubber washer under the head (centre of photo). This bolt sits in a slot and when it is slackened off the headlight will pivot a little bit, when you are happy with headlight beam position tighten back up. Halfway up chrome bezel, just out of photo is a small X head screw for left - right beam adjustment.

As far as having more light, I did this mod on my AL7 (bottom of page in link below) and fitted a couple of 10W Cree LED spots (equivalent to about 40watt halogen each), much more visible in daylight than a single headlight. And I am not happy riding with the single headlight on the AL7 as if the bulb or fuse blows you go from light to dark very quickly.

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.p...12216&page=465
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02780.jpg (118.6 KB, 0 views)

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 19-07-17 at 06:17 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-17, 04:25 PM   #8
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Biker View Post
Are your lights reflector or projector lenses?
The problem you will find is that most LED headlight bulbs don't usually work well in reflector lenses as the light beam scatters all over the place. Projector lenses work much better with LED bulbs.
A company called Classic Car LEDs sell H4 LED bulbs that apparently are suitable for reflector lenses and have good reviews, they are expensive though at £70 ish a pair!
Thanks for that link, they are the best I have seen to date, all the rest seem to have a bulky fan assembly on the back. I have just ordered one for my bike, may have to mod the rear of the reflector housing slightly but will let you know how I get on.

update 1 Tuesday 18th July - H4 Bulb delivered and no way it will fit in the L7 headlamp housing if it has to share it with present wiring - although what they say is true that screw on heatsink is no longer than a standard bulb with the heatsink in 'short' mode. Due to the bulb retainer spring being too tall and the amount of protrusion of plastic housing at back of bulb I can't fit heatsink the short way, and heatsink the other way it is too tall. The light is bright, and cut-off is good so would not dazzle as much as the Phillips Xtreme Brite H4 xenon filament bulb I have in - so filament bulb back in for now while I make a plan.

update 2 Wednesday 19th July - Today I took headlight shell off and also plastic fairing around digital display and pulled the wiring back and tied up outside headlamp shell only wiring inside headlamp now is pilot lamp and the lead from constant current LED supply unit - the reflector complete with heatsink behind bulb (the 'long' way) now fits inside shell OK. The light is VERY white - as I said dipped beam cut-off is very sharp, although my 2016 bike not due for MOT till 2019 I don't foresee any problem with passing with the beam pattern and brightness, brightness supposed to be 80watt Halogen equivalent - when I can get bike out in the dark I will take some photos of beams.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 19-07-17 at 06:06 PM.
Old 28-08-17, 10:38 AM   #9
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Some pictures of the beam of fanless LED H4 bulbs with Philips Z-ES chips from classiccarleds.

These are from my wifes Honda Jazz car, give an idea of what a twin headlamp setup would be like. Will try to get shots of single headlight of my AL7 asap.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02807.jpg (107.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02806.jpg (107.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02800.jpg (105.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02801.jpg (107.6 KB, 0 views)